M&P 15-22 jamming on spent brass. Ideas?

You lubed your ammo! That will cause failures.

I do not normally, but tried it to see if it would make a difference.
My mark 3 would have failure to extracts and lubing ammo seemed to help. I was so impressed with the volquartsen extractor on the 15-22 that I also got an extractor and firing pin for the mark 3. Hopefully that runs better now too.

My mark 3 would have failure to extracts and lubing ammo seemed to help. I was so impressed with the volquartsen extractor on the 15-22 that I also got an extractor and firing pin for the mark 3. Hopefully that runs better now too.

Let us know how it goes. The extractor is a known weak point in the otherwise very robust design of the Ruger Mark .22 pistols. If I see one of these pistols jam where the spent brass is caught in the action, then I recommend installing an aftermarket extractor. The complete story of how these pistols fail to eject is actually more complicated than just the extractor, but a good extractor usually resolves the issue.

Regarding the aftermarket firing pin, I do not see the need unless there is a specific issue that seems related to the firing pin. I know the aftermarket pins are popular, but I have not observed problems with the stock pins. A new firing pin should be perfectly OK, but I am still not sure what problem is being fixed.

the lube did not help it just dislodge some crud for a while.
Try this. Give your pistol a deep clean. Just put some oil on a patch. Now wipe down all the metal with the oil patch. This is all the lube you should need.

My 15-22 is not ammo sensitive, runs cheap bulk standard velocity stuff ok, ie Winchester, no issues with hollow points etc etc. Maybe in 200 rounds I may get a fail to fire and with rimfire I accept that.

Lately my preferred ammo, and the only thing I stock anymore, are 40 grain round nose mini mags - basically they work well in all my .22lr guns so it just makes sense. Id probably buy 36 grain instead but they only make that in hollow point and I just see no point in HP .22lr.

I do typically clean my guns completely after every use. 22lr is dirty stuff and is without a huge margin of error in an auto loader, so that probably does help.

I haven't tested my 15-22 with a wide variety of ammo, but I did find that it had similar failures (stovepipes) using remington .22LR.

FYI, I've found that Aguila standard velocity works pretty much flawlessly until the rifle gets dirty after >300 rounds, and even then it is mostly fails to feed rather than actual jamming. This is my go to budget ammo that is still pretty accurate and functions very well.

I just bought the gun less than 30 days ago and immediately experienced ejection problems. After reading numerous articles and watching a bunch of videos, I ordered a Volquartsen extractor here: Exact Edge Extractor for S&W M&P 15-22 | Volquartsen Firearms . I installed the extractor and the gun now worked perfect. The installation took about 10 minutes since you can watch it on Youtube.

You have a fail to eject,.. Make sure your ejector has this hook on the end, or yours may be broken. 20210307_182101.jpg

* Think I'll go clean this up a little,.. 20210307_182043.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom