M.D. Creekmore’s Defensive Strategies for Home and Retreat Defense after the SHTF

Thanks! Thats great. There are a number of books out on this recently. Holding Your Ground by Joe Nobody, A Failure of Civility (cant remember the authors), Contact by Max Velocity and some others. Also a blog called Lizard Farmer has some good info on this stuff as well.

Can someone explain. The mod post's a really important thread IMHO and barely any interest or response...Why? Is it something they just don't want to hear? Afraid to face it?
What?

Can someone explain. The mod post's a really important thread IMHO and barely any interest or response...Why? Is it something they just don't want to hear? Afraid to face it?
What?

I would say a couple of things. First is OPSEC. Not wanting to broadcast what your defensive measures and plans are. Second is it takes a lot of time and a fair amount of money to really develop a good plan and make the changes to your landscaping/ home that are needed. It is very eye opening to walk around your property and realize how vulnerable you are. YOu then have to mitigate that and accept that there are parts you just cant fix. It is far easier to just plan and hope that being ready with your AR is going to be enough to scare the evil doers away.

What?

Because not everyone needs to post "right on!" or "+1" to every thread that gets posted. I read it, sub'd to read people's comments, but I don't feel the need to waste the bandwidth telling the internet that I approve of every thread that gets posted with out adding anything of value.

Last edited:
What?

I'm not understanding the purpose of this post.

Me either. I just now saw the OP and think it's a great link. Did I not respond quick enough? Is the internet too fast for me? Do I have a life?

I read this expecting to already be aware of the information described and I was mostly correct. However it was a refreshing read and I did find one tidbit I had not thought of before. Deceit. Posting food/water signs directing away from your position. Not being a good liar tricks like these do not come naturally for me.

One common concern I noticed was over landscape butchery. In reality there is no real need to cut all your nice trees and branches until a time deemed necessary. Just know the ones that need to go.

My favorite comment was the guy who was proud he had 2 walls in his house without windows so he could blast away with buckshot and not run the risk of harming his neighbors. I'll bet he has a plate carrier too...

I read this expecting to already be aware of the information described and I was mostly correct. However it was a refreshing read and I did find one tidbit I had not thought of before. Deceit. Posting food/water signs directing away from your position. Not being a good liar tricks like these do not come naturally for me.

One common concern I noticed was over landscape butchery. In reality there is no real need to cut all your nice trees and branches until a time deemed necessary. Just know the ones that need to go.

My favorite comment was the guy who was proud he had 2 walls in his house without windows so he could blast away with buckshot and not run the risk of harming his neighbors. I'll bet he has a plate carrier too...

Thats the part I highlighted in it also. Going to make up a few official looking signs. Very cool idea.

Jay thanks for taking out the time to answer my question and opening up dialog. This is a response to you, please accuse my opinion.

So thanks for that link, and I agree. However that blog is really nothing more then saying, mind your own business. Don't put your nose where it doesn't belong. Don't speak until you are spoken to. Loose lips sink ships. This is really nothing new and is why so many would agree. It's right and it makes sense when social media suggests otherwise.

The OP is good as well and I would agree. Not because of some saving grace in a SHTF world but because it reinforces a value based thought process that over time has been twisted.

Do people really think that forecasting bad times is some new concept? I own a genny because in the NE we have power outs. That's just common sense. Or stocking up on canned foods, like my grandmother did. Was she some crazy prepper? No! it was common sense. A simple thought process most did. Learning to can and preserve food, or get a watch dog, or put up a fence to keep critters out, also made sense and folks had this in common.

People are so removed from common sense that when a person exercises this it is looked at as something strange, or different, or some military tactic to beat up the revenuers.
When asked why people are not interested in basic common sense as in the OP, the question in many cases is not understood. This is just my opinion and was looking for others.
Thanks for working towards a solution. I’ll bow out now.

Last edited:
Jay thanks for taking out the time to answer my question and opening up dialog. This is a response to you, please accuse my opinion.

So thanks for that link, and I agree. However that blog is really nothing more then saying, mind your own business. Don't put your nose where it doesn't belong. Don't speak until you are spoken to. Loose lips sink ships. This is really nothing new and is why so many would agree. It's right and it makes sense when social media suggests otherwise.

The OP is good as well and I would agree. Not because of some saving grace in a SHTF world but because it reinforces a value based thought process that over time has been twisted.

Do people really think that forecasting bad times is some new concept? I own a genny because in the NE we have power outs. That's just common sense. Or stocking up on canned foods, like my grandmother did. Was she some crazy prepper? No! it was common sense. A simple thought process most did. Learning to can and preserve food, or get a watch dog, or put up a fence to keep critters out, also made sense and folks had this in common.

People are so removed from common sense that when a person exercises this it is looked at as something strange, or different, or some military tactic to beat up the revenuers.
When asked why people are not interested in basic common sense as in the OP, the question in many cases is not understood. This is just my opinion and was looking for others.

What are you talking about?

I+don+t+understand+how+getting+a+tattoo+is+entertaining+_82574953779817921c7a0294e66bd9d4.jpg

I'm going to try this:

300px-Coyote_and_RoadRunner_-_Run,_Run,_Sweet_Road_Runner_(21.08.1965).jpg

But seriously - it was a good article, and definitely lots to think about.

I will start on some of the things I am doing. First is living fence/hedge. I am using barberry, black locust, hawthorne, seaberry, wild rose, rosa rugosa and blackberry in different combinations to create hedge or living fence along the edges of my property and in places where it is difficult for me to see. The negative of this is it will take several years to grow to be a real barrier. Positive is that a lot of these provide food/ medicinals as well as a barrier.

Another good one is spiked boards. I save all my scraps of plywood. WHen the time comes I will run a bunch of 2.5 in sheet rock screws through them and then put them in certain areas around the property. Step on this would ruin your day. I don't premake these now because they would be very hard to store and take up a lot of space. Much easier to stack the plywood pieces in the corner along with a couple 25 lb boxes of screws. GOt this from one of the books I listed as well as a local beeyard that uses them for bear.

Tanglefoot and barbed wire are other post whatever options to put up. I have thinned the property to the very edge of my wifes wits. Any more cutting will be after something happens or I will be paying to replant large trees.

Walk your property. Look at where people can observe from. I found that I had been throwing rocks for years at the edge of the woods. Perfect spot for someone to conceal themselves and watch the house or use as a decent position. They are now gone.

Back
Top Bottom