Lynn shooting leads to car chase

SteelShooter

NES Member
More brilliant gang bangers..

Story here

Lynn shooting leads to car chase

By Dan Baer / The Daily Item

LYNN - A Lynn man with a history of gang-related violence was allegedly trying to scare some rival gang members early Sunday morning when he fired six shots from a 9 mm hand gun on Cleveland Street.

Unfortunately for 25-year-old Steven Reth, his 2004 Acura could not shake the police cruiser of Patrol Officer John Bernard who had heard the gunshots and witnessed the suspect speed off toward his 381 Western Ave. apartment.

What started for Bernard as a separate traffic stop on the corners of Maple and Tucker streets ended with Reth leaping over a fence into the officer's arms after a brief but dangerous chase through city side streets.

Reth was arraigned Tuesday in Lynn District Court on charges of possession of a firearm without a license, felony possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number, carrying a dangerous weapon, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building and failure to stop for police. He was held on $15,000 cash bail.

As serious as Reth's new charges are, the arrest could result in a 10-year-minimum sentence due to his prior record, which includes a two-and-a-half year prison sentence for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

According to police reports, Bernard stopped a vehicle unrelated to the incident on Maple and Tucker streets just before 3 a.m. As he was approaching the window of the vehicle, he heard six rapid gunshots that were so loud he estimated they could not be farther away than the next street over.

Bernard ran over to Maple Street and witnessed Reth's Acura screeching away, forcing him to abandon the traffic stop and pursue the suspect as he sped toward Western Avenue.

Reth ducked down side streets at a high rate of speed, but it did not take long for Bernard to catch up to his bumper as he ran a red light onto Western Avenue. Although Reth was driving erratically and the officer was pursuing him with his lights and sirens on, the suspect pulled into his own driveway at 381 Western Ave. and decided to flee into his back yard on foot.

Bernard pulled into the driveway behind the suspect and surveyed the area, hypothesizing that Reth had to exit from the other side of the house if he had any chance of getting away.

As Bernard arrived at an 8 foot chain fence enclosing the right side of the yard, Reth dove over the fence into the arms of the officer, tearing his shirt.

Reth was placed into custody as backup units arrived, screaming to the officers that he was "scared" and that "they are chasing me, they were shooting at me."

Officers who searched the car found several used 9 mm casings in plain view and eventually located the gun under a small pile of twigs and sticks in the rear of the multi-family home.

When officers returned to Cleveland Street to investigate the damage of the gunshots, police allegedly found a van containing three fresh gunshot holes in the rear door.

When questioning Reth, the suspect told police that he "didn't shoot anything. I was shooting into the air, there was nobody around."

Reth is due back in court Aug. 19.

he "didn't shoot anything. I was shooting into the air, there was nobody around.

This one pisses me off, if he was shooting in the air, does he think those bullets never come down? And after all that, he is held on only $15K bail?[thinking]

interesting. He had a gun. Are you shocked Martha? Deval? Criminals, don't care about your laws. 1 gun a month isn't going to stop them from getting guns. He was federally disqualified already. He still had a gun.
I hope you asshats in the state house read this.

Back
Top Bottom