LTC UPDATE - 40 days

OK, it's now been 40 days since I passed the range test required of LTC applicants in the City of Boston. As someone commented on a previos post, this section of the law seems to be well in play now - provided my license isn't sitting in my mailbox when I get home today.

"The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law."

My application (and $100 cash - yes, I got a receipt) was taken by BPD 54 days ago.

Believe me, there is NOTHING in my past that would disqualify me in any way from being issued a license, not even a grade school playground scuffle.

How long should I wait before inquiring as to the status of my license and/or filing a "a petition to obtain judicial review in the district court having jurisdiction in the city or town wherein the applicant filed for, or was issued, such license"?

Well, the first officer at the licensing department whom I met with told me that based on the letter, I had written, he would see no problems with my being issued a "sport/target" Class "A" license. However, I found out that day that I needed a copy of my birth certificate (despite having my passport in my hand) so I had to come back later to apply.

When I went back with my birth certificate and the rest of my application package, it was a different officer who entered all my info into the computer and photographed/fingerprinted me.

He typed "All Lawful Purposes" in the "reason for issuance" field on the computer. And the officer at the range put down "All Lawful Purposes" on my range test reporting form.

I'm not saying that means anything, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed nonetheless.

I figure that they're in no rush to issue ANY licenses, so they wait the full 40 days just to be a pain in the backside. I'll give a couple days for the snail mail, making this Wednesday my "REALLY start to get annoyed" day.

Then, of course, the fun dilemma: Deciding which gun to get first. If the Ruger P345 feels good in my hands, I suspect that might follow me home soon.

I wouldn't get too upset too soon.
I applied in my town for my renewal/upgrade to a Class A ALP in Jan. I went back in about a month later to have my picture taken and was told by the officer in my town that he would issue whatever license I wanted (I have known him for a while). I then proceeded to wait until the end of last month to finally receive mine in the mail.

I made 2 trips back into the PD to inquire and each time he told me that he approved me then sent my app off for the state check. It was out of his hands and he was just waiting for it to come back. Each trip there got me more and more annoyed but I did resist bringing up the 40 day issue with him because I didn't want to piss him off and get a "restricted" license instead...

Be patient.. As you well know this Liberal state sucks out loud, and will do whatever they can to keep you from owning a gun...

Adam

I don't know how/if Boston is using the new MIRCS plastic license, but in the laminated paper days they were so in love with their red "restricted" stamp that they applied it to ALP licenses as well. Yup - licenses restritcted to all lawful purposes.

Look at the law paragraph above the one you quoted...

They don't have tot issue the license until they have in writing that you're okay from the mental health board among others. Well, they can take a long time to get back to the issuing authority.

I'm picking my hunting/targeting LTC Class A from Quincy later today... it's been a long and drawn out process.

I feel your pain, but hang in there!!

Back
Top Bottom