LTC reference letter questions

Just completed my firearms safety course (so I'm new to all this). I am getting my application for an Class A LTC at the recommendation of my course instructor.

My town wants 3 letters of recommendation from someone that is unrelated to me and not a member of the PD in my town. I have 3 people (all have known me 20 years) that are willing to do this for me, however two of them have been in trouble in the past.....nothing too serious and it was long ago.

Am I going to run into trouble if I have these people write me a letter? Should I find someone else? Will the PD be doing background checks on my references.

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Welcome to the the board Jay! If you reread your post and give it some thought I think you might find the answer yourself. [wink]

Just so you know, there is no authority for the PD to demand "letters of reference," still less 3 of them from people it deems worthy.

The statutorily-required and state issued-issued application form is the F 25/26. It requires NO letters and only 2 references.

Note also that there is a a sticky on this board regarding the preparation of LTC applications. You might want to review it.

Yes that sticky was very helpful Scrivener...thanks.

I don't have a problem providing them the letters even if I am just jumping through hoops. I don't think its wise to start quoting the law to my local PD. ..they're generally good guys. Getting a couple reference letters does not seem like an unreasonable request.

These days information is easily available I would think that it would not be much trouble for the licensing officer to run my background and my references. Common sense tells me that using someone as a reference that had a troubled youth but that is currently a good citizen would be a suitable reference. However being new and knowing that common sense does not always apply to firearms law I wanted some advice to be sure.

BTW Lugnut...I have no idea what you are getting at....cart to spell it out?

jay

I suspect what Lugnut is getting at is that if your licensing officer remembers the names of your references as being troublemakers, they may judge you by the company you keep.

And actually, the letters of reference ARE an unreasonable request - I didn't have to do them as my PD follows the law. They have no basis for demanding these of you other than a power trip. You may wish to consult a lawyer about how to handle these requests.

Ahhh well my references do not live in my town and the PD would only know them as part of a background check. I probably should have stated that more clearly.

J

Do not use people that have a criminal background of any kind, your PD is already being a knob by requiring you to prove you are "good enough" to practice your own rights, so don't give them any reason to screw you.

Second you should find out what the usual LTC issuing practice is in your town, if the PD denies a lot or unfairly restricts them you should get a lawyer now rather then later. Or just move out to a more “friendly” town.[wink]

Just so you know, there is no authority for the PD to demand "letters of reference," still less 3 of them from people it deems worthy.

The statutorily-required and state issued-issued application form is the F 25/26. It requires NO letters and only 2 references.
This is very true, however, many applicants find it easier to provide the letters than to spend $200/hour or so to prove the point of "no letter required."

BTW Lugnut...I have no idea what you are getting at....cart to spell it out?

jay

Sorry Jay- I didn't mean to been a wise guy or evasive. However if someone was to ask me for a reference for my LTC permit... I wouldn't risk using someone with a known bad past... especially if you have alternates. Since you posted this.. I suspected you yourself had some valid concerns. [wink]

This is very true, however, many applicants find it easier to provide the letters than to spend $200/hour or so to prove the point of "no letter required."

Thus encouraging FURTHER abuses.

I see that Dedham is now requiring recertification for renewals, in violation of the very statute and CMR it quotes.

I believe he means that you have to take a safety course for every renewal, when it's only required that it be taken once. I took an NRA course when I renewed in Marlboro and Sgt Moran looked at me and asked me why I'd wasted my money, since it wasn't needed.

I actually think that it was very much worth the money, but from Sgt Moran's POV, it wasn't necessary.

Thus encouraging FURTHER abuses.
Absolutely, however, it is not reasonable to expect an individual applicant to spend thousands to (a) take longer to get his license and (b) make it easier for the next person. It would be nice if GOAL were in a position to support some of these cases so we could all help with a donation rather than waiting to find someone rich enough, and principled enough, to spend a few thousand to avoid getting reference letters.

Absolutely, however, it is not reasonable to expect an individual applicant to spend thousands to (a) take longer to get his license and (b) make it easier for the next person. It would be nice if GOAL were in a position to support some of these cases so we could all help with a donation rather than waiting to find someone rich enough, and principled enough, to spend a few thousand to avoid getting reference letters.

There is one person "rich enough, and principled enough to spend a few thousand" to resist the tyranny of these petty bullies. He brought the case challenging Brookine's "range test" requirement, which was heard yesterday.

News as it happens.

And even then, after giving the IA a legal punch in the face, the "fix" may only
work for you and not the next guy that comes along... they may just revert
to whatever their previous behavior is when the next applicant comes along. (knowing that
99 out of 100 people won't lawyer up. )

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom