LTC is in

jon

All right, I was told my LTC was in. and for all you haters it took 4 weeks and the issuing officer was apologetic it took so long.

as I got the LTC as a new resident. I did not bring my pistol with me when I moved in state. I felt it would be better to leave it locked in my faters gun safe for safekeeping. (Also my previous address)

So do I need to file an FA10 when I bring it here?

Jon

All right, I was told my LTC was in. and for all you haters it took 4 weeks and the issuing officer was apologetic it took so long.

as I got the LTC as a new resident. I did not bring my pistol with me when I moved in state. I felt it would be better to leave it locked in my faters gun safe for safekeeping. (Also my previous address)

So do I need to file an FA10 when I bring it here?

Jon

What is a "faters" safe?[wink]

I am getting conflicting opinions.

could you explain why? The other answer I got was that I already owned it therefore I don't need to "register" it.

Jon

not directed at you more towards all the people bitching about the town requiring letters of reference

Girlfriends supposed RED town got hers back to her in under 2 weeks,

I'm ready to go crazy.... Officer today said you just have to wait....It's the Chief that is the prob here in Worcester

The girl friend had resigned herself to a class B with hopes of a class A restricted.

but when she went it the put it into mircs as LTC A and All Lawful Purposes.

I am getting conflicting opinions.

could you explain why? The other answer I got was that I already owned it therefore I don't need to "register" it.

Not surprising. Here's the relevant law:
Chapter 140: Section 128B. Unauthorized purchase of firearms; report to commissioner; penalties

Section 128B. Any resident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle or shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than from a licensee under section one hundred and twenty-two or a person authorized to sell firearms under section one hundred and twenty-eight A, and any nonresident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than such a licensee or person, and receives such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, within the commonwealth shall within seven days after receiving such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, report, in writing, to the executive director of the criminal history systems board the name and address of the seller or donor and the buyer or donee, together with a complete description of the firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, including the caliber, make and serial number. Whoever violates any provision of this section shall for the first offense be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 and for any subsequent offense by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years.

The issue at hand is the meaning of "purchases or obtains". The general consensus among most people seems to be that this doesn't apply to firearms that one brings into the Commonwealth when moving here (since one isn't a resident at that time), but applies to any previously owned firearms brought here after becoming a resident. Others would argue that bringing firearms already owned doesn't fulfill the meaning of "purchases or obtains ... from any source", since there's no transfer of any sort involved, as evidenced by the requirement to list the name and address of the seller or donor.

I don't know of any case law that supports or refutes either the requirement to register previously-owned firearms brought here after establishing residence, or the exemption on firearms brought with one when originally moving here. I'm sure that a lot of people have strong opinions, but I'd like to see evidence (e.g., court rulings) rather than arguments. Until such time, I'd suggest taking the safe approach, given the severity of the penalties involved.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom