• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Downgrade

Ok, just had to ask.

Hypothetical of course. Say you have an LTC A ALP from Town A, a moderate licensing town (meaning not EASY to get ALP, but not impossible by any means), and you move to City B, an anti-gun town (meaning a city that will NEVER issue an unrestricted class A). Is there any way the City B PD could downgrade your ALP after you inform them of the address change into their "fair town"?

Or is your LTC A ALP "untouchable" (for the lack of a better term) until that time at which you must renew your license. (assuming you don't totally F' up and lose your license all together)

I know City B WILL downgrade upon renewal as "NO ONE GETS ALP" in this place. But am I safe until that time? My license is relatively fresh and doesn't expire until late 2014. So, ideally I will get the hell out of Dodge before I have to renew.

What is the verdict?

They can't touch it until you renew. I did that very thing, got mine issued in a green town and moved to a red town.

My huband had his ltc alp for years, and when he renewed in a red town they issued it alp as well.

Fantastic. I finally convinced my middle of the road town to upgrade me (after nearly 7 months of phone tag with a well positioned contact). and in the matter of a couple days it was ready. Now, I JUST bought a house in one of the brightest RED towns there was around me and would hate to see all that perseverance be for naught.

Maybe, I do know he had his unrestricted ltc for a long time in the green town. I don't know if that made a difference. They are putting retrictions on ALL new ltcs now.

Maybe, I do know he had his unrestricted ltc for a long time in the green town. I don't know if that made a difference. They are putting retrictions on ALL new ltcs now.

Is this New Bedford? If so they aren't restricting all new LTCs according to the gunrights in your town thread. O

It's my understanding that the chief of "town B" can downgrade your license if he wants to.

Yes, they can, but only upon renewal. Prior to the renewal date, they are not the issuing authority for the license and therefore have nothing to do with it. It's not theirs to downgrade, so to speak.

You will get downgraded on renewal if you move into a typical red town, unless you have some sort of documented bypass in that town. (business owner, or whatever crap excuse they want people to provide)

There are some reds that don't do this, apparently, like Winchendon.

You typically cannot be downgraded, however, just by moving, as the original issuing authority still "controls" your permit.

Apparently, however, this doesn't stop some red towns. Rumor has it that watertown will try to call up one's IA and ask for a downgrade, but I haven't.
verified this.

Needless to say, I would not move into a red town on purpose.

-Mike

I've had a LTC ALP my last two licenses through Chelsea. Now that I live in W.Roxbury, I fully expect my LTC to be downgraded when I come up for renewal in a few years. :(

The more 'we' accept this as ok the more it will happen. I personally don't believe it. Seriously, when you go for your LTC it's a game of negotiations. If you go in there thinking that you don't have a chance for ALP then you probably don't. By the same token if you go in there with a rational, convincing story you have a decent chance. I know there are some towns that are labeled as impossible but I also know people who have ALP in those towns. I am a firm believer that you have to have your ducks in a row and that you have to play the game.

The more 'we' accept this as ok the more it will happen. I personally don't believe it. Seriously, when you go for your LTC it's a game of negotiations. If you go in there thinking that you don't have a chance for ALP then you probably don't. By the same token if you go in there with a rational, convincing story you have a decent chance.

[rofl]

Sorry, but IMHO this is crap, at least in a lot of cases. Most of the worst red towns you will only get an unrestricted permit by exerting power or influence, or exploiting an (expensive) wallhack by tricking the IA into believing that you make large cash deposits, among other things. I agree there are some towns that you can "game", but it's always going to be a pain in the nutsack to do it.

Try doing the "armani suit and swan song letter" thing in Boston, Brookline, Watertown, and they'll basically still just laugh in your face when you ask for an unrestricted permit, unless you're connected and someone has "made some calls for you" ahead of time.

-Mike

Last edited:
New Bedford normally doesn't downgrade. If you come into NB with a LTC-ALP they consider you grandfathered and don't touch the status. That seems to be the case I've seen so far.

The more 'we' accept this as ok the more it will happen. I personally don't believe it. Seriously, when you go for your LTC it's a game of negotiations. If you go in there thinking that you don't have a chance for ALP then you probably don't. By the same token if you go in there with a rational, convincing story you have a decent chance. I know there are some towns that are labeled as impossible but I also know people who have ALP in those towns. I am a firm believer that you have to have your ducks in a row and that you have to play the game.

I wish it was the case here.. I knew the firearms sergeant, and know people here, but apparently the New Police Chief has a blanket policy that all "new" LTC's will have a sporting restriction.. I went in with the attitude that I would get unrestricted, and was told by the Sgt. that nobody gets unrestricted anymore.. Our Chief is an ass..

Is this New Bedford? If so they aren't restricting all new LTCs according to the gunrights in your town thread. O

huh?? I don't understand what you are saying.. maybe I'm slow today it is Monday...
I am in New Bedford, and was told by the firearms Sergeant that the Chief is restricting all new LTC's sporting..

huh?? I don't understand what you are saying.. maybe I'm slow today it is Monday...
I am in New Bedford, and was told by the firearms Sergeant that the Chief is restricting all new LTC's sporting..

I think you found your answer in the thread I was mentioning [grin]

Or you could be in Rhode Island where you have to get a court order just to get an application, even though the law says they have to issue! Yes contrary to popular belief, Rhode Island is a shall issue state. I've been fighting the town for three years. If you have a permit from the AG, it's good for 4 years or whenever he doesn't want you to have it anymore. Weldon Shithouse revoked many, and refused to renew most.

Last edited:
I wish it was the case here.. I knew the firearms sergeant, and know people here, but apparently the New Police Chief has a blanket policy that all "new" LTC's will have a sporting restriction.. I went in with the attitude that I would get unrestricted, and was told by the Sgt. that nobody gets unrestricted anymore.. Our Chief is an ass..

Sorry but I'm not buying it. They tell you anything they want and then the negotiations begin. I"m not saying it's right or it's fair. I'm just saying. Somebody is getting ALP in that town. You just have to figure out how.
I related this story in another thread .... 25 years ago they told me they don't issue licenses for "protection of life and property" and that best case scenario I would get a license for 'employment'. I told the issuing officer in a very nice way; "I'm not comfortable with that". Then I shut up and let him talk. 40 minutes later I left the PD with my application in hand and a complete mental list of everything I needed to bring with me on my next visit. He basically told me what I needed to do to get what I wanted.
I know it's hard but you have to at least try!

Last edited:
You typically cannot be downgraded, however, just by moving, as the original issuing authority still "controls" your permit.

Apparently, however, this doesn't stop some red towns. Rumor has it that watertown will try to call up one's IA and ask for a downgrade, but I haven't.
verified this.

-Mike

+1 .... The town your moving to can contact your issing agency and request that they downgrade. I would think this is highly unlikely, but it is just a matter of sending a request on MIRCS from their terminal to the issuing agency's terminal. The process is no different than one agency contacting another agency to suspend or take other action on your permit in the event of an arrest or a restraining order.

Back
Top Bottom