lowers lowers lowers

talked to pete from legal transfers...he said out of all the manufacturers RRA in his opinion are the best lowers but doesnt know when he'll have any more in

so i figure ill get at least one stag lower while theyre in stock and wait on thr RRA ones

while searching around for different lowers and prices i came across some stuff i realized i didnt know much about...for one...

billet lowers...i came across this term...what does it mean?
i was looking at sundevil and patriot ordnance factory lowers and came across this term...can anyone clarify for me? i think it has something to do with semi vs full auto tolerances but im probably wrong

also...i keep seeing people saying that lmt and cmmg are the primary companies manufacturing lowers and that they are all the same they just end up with a different logo on them (stag, rra etc)...is this true? if so then what makes one more quality than the other? fit and finish or something else?

finally...colt lowers...large pin vs small pin etc...i kind of wanted to get a lower saying leo/restricted on it...i guess you cant mate all colt lowers with just any upper...which ones are most easily mated to a rra or bushy upper?

thanx in advance and i hope you all have a good weekend and new year

GO CHARGERS!!![smile]

Only advice I have is hit the Marlboro gun show. Theres a guy that usually does all the shows that sells tactical black rifles and accessories, including lowers. He is who I got my RRA one from at the last Big E show. Hes the one with the peg board display with Kel Tecs, CETMEs, ARs, etc. and is usually against a back wall.

Billet lowers are machined from a solid block of aluminum (usually aircraft grade), as opposed to made from a casting.

The reason it's such a long wait for RRA lowers, is that when they get them in, they're used for building complete rifles first (same thing with their barrels). I'm not 100% certain how they allocate stripped lowers, but it's probably when they get a certain number of orders in, then when the run is made, they'll ship them out... hence the 2-3 month wait.

Colt doesn't sell stripped lowers (at least they never used to). I doubt that policy has changed since they've practically cut-off all civilian sales.

Any Colt lower should mate up with any other manufacturers upper by the use of an expanding/off-set pivot pin that sells for around $7.00-$8.00. to do the opposite (Colt upper on another lower), there's a bushing that goes in the upper that takes up the slack/play.

Happy New Year, too! (even though I'm working that night [wink] ).

Last edited:
With the general lack of knowledge about firearms laws, having a lower that says "restricted, LE/Mil Only" on it may lead to some pleasantries. Even though perfectly legal (as long as it's built as a ban-compliant gun), some POs may well arrest (remember we have NO way to expunge an arrest from your record, even if it's an illegal arrest) and attempt to prosecute, costing you money and reputation.

I'd be careful about such ownership in a communist state.

login...what exactly does it mean? stronger and lighter? i held one and it seems lighter to me

sam...thanx for the link...i poked around on there but it seems his prices are kind of high compared to others ive seen

lens...good point...didnt think about that!

Last edited:
login...what exactly does it mean? stronger and lighter? i held one and it seems lighter to me

sam...thanx for the link...i poked around on there but it seems his prices are kind of high compared to others ive seen

lens...good point...didnt think about that!

Stronger and less prone to to being damaged. Castings are more brittle and have more potential for unseen flaws. Castings are much cheaper and simpler to manufacture. Stronger is better, but, it really shouldn't be much of a problem from the buyers end unless the firearm is being subjected to heavy/extreme use.

I don't know if cast receivers are lighter or not (probably are since they're not as dense as a forging), but, even if they are, the weight difference would be negligible.

Back
Top Bottom