Lowell Sportsmen's Club Open House & Helicopter Rides: 9/8/18

The Lowell Sportsmen’s Club in North Chelmsford is holding its annual Open House on Saturday, September 8th, from 12pm-4pm. This is a free event with activities for the entire family.

This year, helicopter rides will be available, to tour the Chelmsford area from the air! The rides will be 10 minutes for $30, and more information is available at Lowell Sportsmen's Club – Established 1913.

Highlights of the day include a New England Birds of Prey show, Colonial reenactors, and firearms safety talks. Members the Chelmsford Police, Chelmsford Fire, and Middlesex County Sheriffs will be on hand to demonstrate their equipment and talk about their role in the community.

Visitors will also have the opportunity to learn about and try a variety of shooting sports, including trap, skeet, black powder, high power rifle, and .22 and air gun plinking. Instructors will also be available on the archery range and fishing pond to help improve your skills.

Free hamburgers and hotdogs will be served from the snack shack. There will also be details on membership, firearms safety, and other club information at the Welcome Tent. The Lowell Sportsmen's Club is located at 50 Swain Road, North Chelmsford, MA 01863. Visit Lowell Sportsmen's Club – Established 1913 for more information.

The Lowell Sportsmen's Club was formed in 1913 in downtown Lowell, and is one of New England's oldest! The club is currently located on 70+ acres in North Chelmsford, MA.

Men, women, and junior club members - experienced and novices alike - enjoy participating in a variety of activities available at LSC. The club offers competitive and recreational trap, skeet, archery, pistol, rifle, and black powder ranges, fishing ponds, and facilities for camping, canoeing, and hiking.

Our social events calendar is always busy - we host many family-friendly functions throughout the year, including events open to the public. Every Thursday night at 6:30 is open-to-the-public archery! See Calendar – Lowell Sportsmen's Club for more information and additional events.

And make sure to mark your calendar for Saturday, September 29th, so you don't miss our Annual Flea Market and Pork BBQ. The sale goes from 8-1pm - come early to find treasures, and stay for a great lunch! If you're interested in a table, contact Brian at 978-692-2622.

2018-09OpenHouseFlyerv2.png

helicopter.jpg

The helicopter for the sports club rides is a Robinson 44. They sell used for about 1/2 mill.

I have about 15 hours as a student pilot in a Robinson 22 (pictured hovering above the trailer in a post above).

Instructor said that the 22 was one of the hardest copters to fly, but if you can fly a 22, you can fly anything.

Crazy fun. When I grow up I want to be a helicopter!!

Now THAT is something we'll try to work in next year.

Lol. You're a good man herzog! I have many great memories of LSC when I was there in the early '80's. Learned a lot of great skills and principles from the older members there who passed along the knowledge. There was few guys who still trapped and I found that intriguing. I also remember that you had a very nice CMP M1 Garand up for raffle a couple of years ago. It was a nice piece.
Good luck with your open house, I may stop by and have a peek! Clubs should do this sort of stuff more often. It might strengthen our Fraternity!

And any NES'ers in that area who don't belong to a Sportsmen's Club should really look into LSC.

~Matt

Thanks Matt. For LSC's 100 year anniversary in 2013, I was research old news articles and club documents, and some of the events they used to run sounded fascinating - hunting dog trials, game dinners after club hunts up north and out west, and canoe jousting (crews in two canoes going head-on with foam-tipped poles trying to capsize each other in the pond). I'm glad to be a member now and be an active part of the history, but I do feel I missed a lot from past decades.

And I agree, it'd be nice if more clubs held public events like this. Obviously I encourage you (and everyone) to come out on September 8th if you can, but also check out the Westford Sportsmen's Club open house on October 6th (Open House » October 6, 2018Westford Sportsmen's Club, Inc.) - also a great club and a good event.

Thanks also for supporting the M1 Garand raffle - we were lucky to get that rifle to raffle off, and I know the winner was pretty happy.

Back
Top Bottom