looking for mushroom guide recommendation

Does anyone know a good guide (with detailed pictures) for wild mushrooms? or even one for wild edibles in general? I am looking for a guide that I can take out into the field and use to gather mushrooms/wild edibles. preferably something available at borders, barnes & noble or amazon.
Thanks!

Personally, I would not gather mushrooms using only a book. I'd run everything by an experienced mycologist for several years. There are a number of severely poisonous mushrooms that look similar to edible ones.

Personally, I would not gather mushrooms using only a book. I'd run everything by an experienced mycologist for several years. There are a number of severely poisonous mushrooms that look similar to edible ones.

+1
Bold mushroom pickers,are never Old mushroom pickers

Best advice is to get someone who is a mushroom picker, that is still alive and has not experienced organ failure in the past to show you
which ones to pick and what they grow on.
This may be difficult as most mushroom pickers are kind of secretive about their sources of their finds.

Remember, The ultimate penalty for a wrong choice in mushrooms is death.

P1050262.JPG

This is my dad after going mushroom picking one day. That is a full size kitchen table. (this is also only half the haul)

My father loves telling the following story:

One day him and my mom were picking mushrooms. An American family (we're originally from russia, though now proud US citizens) saw them walking in and out of the woods, and asked what they were doing. They told them that they were picking mushrooms. Sometime later, my father watches the father walking with his family of wife + 2 kids carrying what he calls "the largest, most poisonous mushroom he'd ever seen". The guy was beaming at his "amazing haul". My father had to walk over and tell the guy to put the mushroom down, and get to the nearest bathroom without touching anything, especially not his children.

I use this story as a warning to anyone planning on picking shrooms without a good primer/teacher.

Back
Top Bottom