Looking for Information for Handgunlaw.us

Gentlemen/Ladies,

I am trying to find info on carrying a concealed firearm in CT State/National Forests and Wildlife Management Areas. Below are the Regs as published by the CT DEP. http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/regulations/23/23-4-1through5.pdf

Would I be correct in my understanding of the regulations below that a person who has a CT Permit to carry a concealed firearm can carry that firearm concealed in the National Forests and Wildlife Management Areas of CT.

Section 23-4-1. (c) Hunting/weapons.
Hunting or carrying of firearms, archery equipment or other weapons,
including but not limited to air rifles and slingshots, is not permitted in any
state park or forest except as authorized by the Department of Environmental
Protection. All carrying or use of weapons is subject to applicable provisions
of the Connecticut General Statutes and regulations adopted thereunder.

The bold type says to me that the DEP is saying that they will go by CT Statutes. Those Statutes are where the laws on Obtaining a permit to carry and carrying a firearm concealed is contained. Any help you could give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Stay Safe,

Gary Slider
Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Gentlemen/Ladies,

I am trying to find info on carrying a concealed firearm in CT State/National Forests and Wildlife Management Areas. Below are the Regs as published by the CT DEP. http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/regulations/23/23-4-1through5.pdf

Would I be correct in my understanding of the regulations below that a person who has a CT Permit to carry a concealed firearm can carry that firearm concealed in the National Forests and Wildlife Management Areas of CT.

Section 23-4-1. (c) Hunting/weapons.
Hunting or carrying of firearms, archery equipment or other weapons,
including but not limited to air rifles and slingshots, is not permitted in any
state park or forest except as authorized by the Department of Environmental
Protection. All carrying or use of weapons is subject to applicable provisions
of the Connecticut General Statutes and regulations adopted thereunder.

The bold type says to me that the DEP is saying that they will go by CT Statutes. Those Statutes are where the laws on Obtaining a permit to carry and carrying a firearm concealed is contained. Any help you could give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Stay Safe,

Gary Slider
Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

The regs you quote cover CT state parks and forests, not national parks and forests. They would be covered by Federal laws and regulations.

As I read the posted regs carrying a firearm in CT state parks and forests requires DEP authorization plus said persons must be compliant with applicable CT general statutes and regulations. In other words to CCW in CT state parks or forests one would need to be appropriated licensed IAW CT state laws and have permission from the DEP.

National Forests

Kevin, National Forests laws concerning firearms are set by the state they are in. The Feds do not set the firearm laws for National Forests. The Feds do set the laws on National Parks and Wildlife Management areas etc. But the State/National Forests and State Wildlife Management Areas are set by the state. CT does not allow carry in state Parks from everything I can see but can't find out anything about the State/National Forests and WMA.

Kevin, National Forests laws concerning firearms are set by the state they are in. The Feds do not set the firearm laws for National Forests. The Feds do set the laws on National Parks and Wildlife Management areas etc. But the State/National Forests and State Wildlife Management Areas are set by the state. CT does not allow carry in state Parks from everything I can see but can't find out anything about the State/National Forests and WMA.
Thanks for the info on National Forests.

My search did not turn up any more information on CT either. As I read the regs then CCW is not allowed in state parks or state forests unless specifically authorized by the DEP. If so authorized, one would also have to be compliant with CT CCW laws.

On the other hand the regs say nothing about National Forests or state wildlife areas. That would appear to mean to me that CCW is allowed in those areas as long as one is compliant with CT CCW laws.

Hopefully someone with first-hand knowledge will show up to confirm, deny or clarify our interpretations.

Back
Top Bottom