Looking for a guide for bird hunting with a dog

My friend/coworker approached me the other day because he knows I'm a "gun guy," but his request was out of my wheelhouse, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some guidance.

For a long time the item on the top of his bucket list has been to take his dog hunting. He has a Brittany who is well trained, but has never hunted before. My friend is competent around firearms, but has never hunted and doesn't currently own a gun in state. He's looking for a guide who also hunts with a dog who can take him and his dog (and hopefully me!) hunting, set up the hunt, educate us, and can bring a dog that can "lead" his dog and help show him the ropes. We don't mind traveling anywhere in

I'd really like to make this happen for my friend this fall. Can you guys point me in the right direction, recommend a guide, and let me know if there's anything I'm not thinking of?

Thanks
TD

Addieville is a great place .They are in R.I. up the street from Bryant College on rte #7. They have great guides with dogs . Give them a call, I think they may be able to accommodate your request.

I just went to Lady Woods two weeks ago. They are only doing chukar now, but they are really fun. The guide is awesome and you can use one of their dogs for $50.

It is $20 dollars a bird and there is a minimum number of birds depending how many are in your party. All the info is on the sight.

how is your buddies dog trained without ever being on a hunt? Did he get it from someone who trained it up and gun broke it?

how is your buddies dog trained without ever being on a hunt? Did he get it from someone who trained it up and gun broke it?

Interesting question - so I was using the phrase "trained" to be generally trained, not specifically as a hunting dog (as in the dog isn't going to run wild at the first gunshot). However, the dog was a rescue, my friend believes the dog was bred and trained as a hunting dog before he got a hold of him, although to what extent he doesn't know.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys - I'll definitely check these places out. And if anyone knows of a specific guide at any of these facilities they can recommend, I'm all ears.

TD

I'll throw a vote in for Green Mountain Shooting Preserve. My brother and I went there the fall before last for a full day guided hunt. It was a bit pricey but we had a blast. You can bring your own dogs, use the guide's dog or a combination I believe. They also offer dog training.

http://www.greenmountainshooting.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom