Long Island Appleseed 8/15-16

This one is threatening to be a real fun time! New Englanders, you can even take a ferry boat.

Who's up for an Appleseed in the Hamptons?

Here's the link for fliers and registration and heres the info:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7979.0

Range: Calverton Shooting Range
On Long Island New York

Address: 395 Nugent Drive, Calverton, NY 11933

When:
August 15th- 16th 2009

Range Fee:
$20.00 per person per day including Instructors. People under 16 are exempt from range fee.

Camping Available: 20 primitive camping sites, 20 improved sites(without water or electric). No potable water or showers on site.

Hotels:
Holiday Inn, 1707 Old Country Rd., Riverhead, NY‎ - (877) 863-4780‎
Best Western,1830 Route 25, Riverhead, NY‎ - (631) 369-2200‎

Closet Airport: Brookhaven Airport or NYC Airports

Directions:
From New York City take Interstate 495 east to exit 71 for NY24 towards Hampton Bays/Calverton. Turn right on to NY 24 follow to 395 Nugent Drive, Calverton NY.

If coming from the New England area and Upstate NY you may wish to take the ferry from Bridgeport CT to avoid the NYC area traffic. Take the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson ferry to Port Jefferson NY. Turn right on NY-25A, left on Barnum Road, right on main Street, Left on Hallock Ave, slight right on Rte-25A bypass, slight left on Parker Road, slight left on Middle Country Road, right on Edwards Ave continue to 395 Nugent Road.

GPS: 40.907195,-72.705259

State Laws to be aware of:
Check State Laws: www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

Misc: Range Rules: No loaded firearms on the range unless on the firing line and load command has been given. Eye and ear protection required. No shooting before 9am or after dusk or 5pm. No rapid fire. This range has up to 100 yards possible.

Special Features: Club house with classroom. Food on site for a nominal fee. Near the famous Hampton's and New York City. Take a couple extra days to vacation along the beaches of Long Island or the streets of The Big Apple.

For More Information: [email protected] or 607-727-9282

Registration Link: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/382166069

Special information: Due to the layout of the ranges, it is possible to be "sprayed" with lead from shot or pistol. This spent "lead rain" in our past visit was not much of an issue, but the possibility exists, and you should know about it and understand there's a reason why "eye and ear protection is REQUIRED" at this location. For this reason, attendance is at your own risk.

So close to millions of people starving for the reconnection to our Heritage. Should be an easy sell out so sign up now.

How many folks on this site have family on LI? I'm just curious. Do we have any stories of growing up out there? I've been hearing from people that even remember shooting at this range - Calverton - when it was run by "the old Man". Shooting cars and boxes of explosives and other stuff. I know at least a couple of our Appleseed instructors are from Long Island. How bout, if we're not gonna go to the event, and we're not going to promote the event, and we're not going to talk about how under-served Long Island shooters are, how bout we just tell stories about Long Island and remember...

I'll start. Every march I ride my motorcycle out to montauk and crawl around the old WWII bunkers that were put in place to defend against Nazi U-boat attacks. It's still off-season and prices are right, not to mention the cool air and smooth ride. Bigger skies than Brooklyn. Last year I was sitting in the Shagwong Restaurant on Old Route 7 when a story came on the local news. The bartender shushed everybody and turned it up, then he was there on the screen. It just happened to be the anniversary of when the "Hell's Angel's" had attempted to use a boat to approach Mick Jagger's compound in order to kill him because of what he'd said about Altamount. Apparently Mr. Jagger was a regular at the Shagwong. That's when I noticed all the yellowing photos on the back wall.

I wonder what kind of rifles were dumped in the ocean when that boat went over. I guess no m14's, but maybe a garand or two.

I grew up on LI, and would love to go to the appleseed back there. It would give me a good excuse to go visit the parents! Anyone know if we can bring our guns to NY, I know they're whacko with the laws down there...

I grew up there as well. We used to shoot at Calverton(same place?) in the late 80's. Some of the gun handling was scary but you could shoot whatever you could drag downrange. Unlike any proper range I've ever been to. I think rifles are fine in NYS. Might want to check to be sure. Certain that handguns are out unless you are LEO.

Coming from eastern Mass the quickest way is to take the ferry from New London, CT to Orient Point. When you get to LI, you can just continue on Rte 25 until you get to Calverton. BTW, Calverton is on the north fork; the Hamptons are on the south. I didn't grow up there, but my wife still has her folks' place in the Hamptons.

Ken

Definitely take the New London-> Orient Point ferry it's a pleasant way to go and the aggravation saved may be to immense to measure.

Hi All,
I was searching for a particular forum, met some shooters at the LI Appleseed this weekend, some from different forums. Not sure that this is their forum, but figured I'd stop in and spread the word on the quality event.

There was about 35 shooters Saturday, about 20 Sunday.
It was my 1st Appleseed event.
I spent the entire 1st day there and unfortunately I had to bug out at 1pm on Sunday to meet up with my wife to take care of some stuff.

This was my first time with any real organized marksmanship instruction as well.

The instructors were great people.

The info was great.

I shot it with a Garand, but only using 8 shot strings instead of 10. I wanted to learn the techniques, more than try to qualify.
My 2rnd clips weren't staying in the well, and the greek ammo clips were giving me fits.

Boy now I see why they say do it with a 10/22. The mag changes will be a lot easier on the 10/22.

They are looking to maybe do it again in Oct of this year. I hope soo.

We were just near 90's and humid the 1st day, just a tad bit less humid Sunday.
We were rained on use lightly once and poured on use for a few minutes another time.
Keep shooting.
Made the rest of the day very steamy.

I found out about it this past Wed, and had to rush around to get things together. I am use to just shooting of a bench at the ranges I go to.

I've got tech sights on order for my 10/22. I'll get some more mags for it and I'll be ready for the next event when it happens again.

Some pix...

http://www.tdr4x4.com/im/as/

edit:
KDan, just realized the screen name at the top!!

Again, thank you for your time and putting the event together. I know everyone else around me during the shoot appreciated it as much as I did. Even with the heat, we all felt it was worth it.
Many thanks to Nick and (and sorry , forgot the other instructors name) the other instructor for their time and for helping make the event happen and for all their help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom