Long gun certificate

Would it still be legal for the firearm to be loaned even if the it was purchased in another state from a private party? Also i am confused how it is low risk since if the serial number is looked up couldnt it be traced back to the other state without anything showing it was transferred here? Even if the gun was say 10 years old and was purchased new in florida, wouldn't i have to make up a story about how i purchased it? Because upon researching the ATF clearly specifies that private party firearm transactions across states lines is not legal.

Or maybe i have it wrong. I am slightly confused. There is an atf form when guns are purchased new from an FFL but is this kept on file? There is no national gun registry or any long gun registry for that matter anywhere in the US correct?

Never lie to the police.

Buying a gun in another state, bringing it to MA and saying it was loaned would be stupid. You dont' know the istory of that gun. For all you know, it could be connected to a half dozen murders.

However, if your friend in another state LOANED you the gun. You would be in full compliance with the law, provided it is legal for you to possess that firearm.

There is no gun registry maintained by the Feds. CT and MA both maintain a computerized gun registry. Its imperfect since there are many ways guns can move into or out of the state without hitting the registry. (you sell the gun out of state. No requirment to notify. You move into the state with guns, no requirement to notify)

At CTCarry (ctcarry.com) We FOIA'd the CT DESPP and now have a searchable database of all the guns in the state. You can search by serial number, or by town.

Go here: http://ctcarry.com/Account/Logon?ReturnUrl=/WeaponsRegistry/List

All we ask is that you join. Its free, and we don't spam you.

Don

Federal law permits a FFL in any State to effect a transfer of a long-gun to (a) resident(s) of any other State(s), subject to those State's laws.

As Don is much better versed in CT law, he can address the legality of transport into, and possession of, said long-gun in CT in such a scenario.

The OP said he didn't have a CT longgun certificate. So that is out of the question.

So given Kevlar's clarification. It looks like the only lawful way the OP can be loaned a long gun (or a handgun for that matter) is for the owner to bring it to him in CT.

well had a friend buy a used .22 through a FFL from a "free state" (couldnt find a private seller), its used enough where its older than the new CT laws that make a long gun certificate a thing. But there's still the forms that show it was transferred recently, not sure if that's something the ATF keeps on file or not. The .22 is now being loaned to me. Hopefully im not breaking the law here, but i doubt anyone will never notice if i am.

If you and the person loaning it to you are from the same state, it is unequivocally legal.

Based on Kevlar's citation. If he's from a different state, how it got to you is relevant.

You move into the state with guns, no requirement to notify

Don - Correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying MA does not require you to notify them if you move into their state with guns?

As a former MA resident that is not my understanding of their laws. I was under the impression all guns must be registered under an FA10 if they were not purchased from a dealer.

Don - Correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying MA does not require you to notify them if you move into their state with guns?

As a former MA resident that is not my understanding of their laws. I was under the impression all guns must be registered under an FA10 if they were not purchased from a dealer.

Don is right.

Now let's see why this is true.

- MGL requires registration within 7 days of any gun coming into MA (or your possession).
- First thing that the eFA-10 form asks for is your LTC #.
- How long does it take to get a LTC in MA as a new resident?
- Do you think that you'll have a LTC # within 7 days?

This is why there is an EXEMPTION in the law for people moving in with guns. You can not possibly comply with MGL within 7 days, hence the exemption.

Now Jason Guida created the eFA-10 website to IMPLY that one SHOULD register guns that they moved into MA with. HOWEVER there is NO BASIS in MGL that requires one to do so and this should NEVER have been part of the new website. And I told him so a number of years ago!!

This is all stuff that I teach my students in my MA Gun Law Seminars.

If you and the person loaning it to you are from the same state, it is unequivocally legal.

Based on Kevlar's citation. If he's from a different state, how it got to you is relevant.

well my friend doesnt live in CT, hes live in a free state, hence why he purchased the gun and is now loaning it to me.

well my friend doesnt live in CT, hes live in a free state, hence why he purchased the gun and is now loaning it to me.

Then if he brings it to CT and loans it to you, you are fine. And again, even without any certificates, licenses, or permits, you could do what you wish with the gun. Since a long gun certificate is only necessary to purchase.

Of course there are practical considerations, how would anyone now if he brought it to you or vice versa? The wouldn't. But thats what the law says.

Don

Would it make sense that since the gun is many years old, like older than 20 years that if questioned by police, even though there is no reason for that to ever happen. That i could say i am the owner and have owned it before the new laws were enacted. Since according to what i think is right, the atf would have to trace it by contacting the manufacturer who would then trace it to the retail store and so on. Also if the police want to trace a gun by serial they cannot just look it up on their computer right? they would have to contact the atf? Im not trying to commit a crime with this gun i just dont like being in the system is all, you could say i am paranoid.

Would it make sense that since the gun is many years old, like older than 20 years that if questioned by police, even though there is no reason for that to ever happen. That i could say i am the owner and have owned it before the new laws were enacted. Since according to what i think is right, the atf would have to trace it by contacting the manufacturer who would then trace it to the retail store and so on. Also if the police want to trace a gun by serial they cannot just look it up on their computer right? they would have to contact the atf? Im not trying to commit a crime with this gun i just dont like being in the system is all, you could say i am paranoid.

I don't think your paranoid,because if you were,you would have not posted this on a forum.[slap]

I don't think your paranoid,because if you were,you would have not posted this on a forum.[slap]
Ever heard of a vpn? Do you realize i never mention what state it was purchased in other than calling it a "free state", i also never mention the gun manufacturer or year, i only reference it by the caliber it is, which might be a lie anyway.

From the data you've provided and assuming your friend brought the rifle to CT, you have not committed any crime.

Yet, if questioned by po-po you intend to lie about owning the rifle and how you got it? That makes no SENSE, man. You're going to jail.

Ever heard of a vpn? Do you realize i never mention what state it was purchased in other than calling it a "free state", i also never mention the gun manufacturer or year, i only reference it by the caliber it is, which might be a lie anyway.

If you think you're anonymous then you're sadly mistaken, vpn or not.

Back
Top Bottom