Locking up ammo?

As I have previously said, the "stored in original containers" clause means if you dump your ammo from its flimsy cardboard boxes into an ammo container, you are in violation.

As I have previously said, the "stored in original containers" clause means if you dump your ammo from its flimsy cardboard boxes into an ammo container, you are in violation.
So what do I store my reloads in? I have......well.....alot of those. Lol

My point......how the f*** would the fire chief know what ammo I made and what was store bought.

I was being snarky. I accidentally added 3x the amount of Lemishine in about 800 rounds of 45ACP and they’re all blotchy.

Stupid effin’ dog wanted to play ball RIGHT THEN -and THERE!!

I was being snarky. I accidentally added 3x the amount of Lemishine in about 800 rounds of 45ACP and they’re all blotchy.

Stupid effin’ dog wanted to play ball RIGHT THEN -and THERE!!
I still don't even tumble wet or dry. I just wipe em down with a rag lol

The latest versions of the CMR require ammo locked up whether you have an ammo permit or not.
Never realized the old one didn't.
Don't know whether or not the 527 CMR ammo rewrite predates our LTCs.

(As I have previously posted),
I know someone that dumped the ammo
from its flimsy cardboard boxes
into unlabeled Ziploc bags
for no good reason whatsoever,
and saw he only put the right caliber boolits into the right mags
at his first range session in about 60 years out of sheer luck.

I've been lolling about NES under the presumption that the CMR
was intended to prevent such nonsense.

But only now does it occur to me that the regulatory intent
may be closer to insisting that hazmat containers are properly labeled
so that workers and emergency responders know what they are dealing with.

Maybe the fire commissioners don't think it's their job to help
people distinguish pistol from revolver ammo,
or hollow point from "the kind that cooks the meat on impact".

But prudent people may treat rimfire with a little extra care,
and really prudent people may store black powder ammo
more carefully than smokeless. (An airtight safe full of smokeless ammo
can cook off in a structure fire and just develop a lot of dents,
but a sealed safe full of cowboy ammo might just kaboom
if the pressure gets high enough).

A fire company arriving can't discover
which office safe is stuffed to the gills
with black powder by fighting their way through the flames
like John Wayne at an oil well fire
to spin combinations and read cardboard box labels.

Maybe the intent is to prevent handling storage and handling
problems, rather than user errors.

The new ones from the factory are prettier.
Not just the ammo itself.
I've been sorely tempted to buy some Sig
just because the black and yellow boxes are so purty.

The old CMR (527 CMR 13) indeed only required ammo to be locked up if you didn't have a permit. The new one 527 CMR 1.0 requires it regardless.

Keep in mind that this CMR only is effective wrt storage of ammo, not at the range, not in your car, etc.

"Original boxes" likely was to be able to ID what you are looking at but in a fire, no FF is going to be bothered doing that. My fire chiefs don't seem to care if you dump all the ammo in an ammo can, keep them in cardboard boxes, store them on stripper clips, or store them in plastic ammo boxes. YMMV

MGL says that unlicensed people (and PP) can't possess ammo . . . and LE/prosecutors will jack up the licensed person who allows the unlicensed person to gain access to the ammo in MA, you can take that to the bank!

My fire chiefs don't seem to care if you dump all the ammo in an ammo can, keep them in cardboard boxes, store them on stripper clips, or store them in plastic ammo boxes. YMMV
I'm absolutely not losing sleep over the loaded PMAGs®,
let along the few KimPro™ Tac Mags™. (ETA: Which are all in the safe).

OTOH, I've been modestly inhibited from buying more Buckets O' Boolits
because they eat up safe space.
I'm not going to leave buckets of shootyness laying around unsecured.

Last edited:
I store my ammo in a Quonset hut... [smile]

large_ag_storage_steel_building-2.jpg
(Belatedly), what a coincidence!
I buy my ammo at Quonset Hut.

Well, I may have made that up.
But it would be a pretty cool name for a business.

Bonus points for "Akbar and Jeff's Quonset Hut".
"Where the elite meet to rest their feet
(hemicylindrically)".

No one has done it yet.
Although they've come damned close
(in an alphabetical sense).

When i got my permit my FD chief said just dont store it in tight strong boxes.
My wife was with me and asked about
Ammo and gun powder dangers in a Fire.
He went on to say the smoke and fumes in a fire they actually enter the building are a bigger threat than ammo and gun powder.

Sporting Ammunition and the Firefighter – SAAMI

"These ammunition tests expended over 400,000 rounds of sporting ammunition in scenarios that include single cartridge ignition, 65-foot drops, attacks with blasting caps, bullet impacts, forklift impact, bulldozer crushing and grinding, packaged and unpackaged bonfires, and fires involving a retail store and truck trailer."

Doesn't SAAMI testing sound like a fun job??

(Belatedly), what a coincidence!
I buy my ammo at Quonset Hut.

Well, I may have made that up.
But it would be a pretty cool name for a business.

Bonus points for "Akbar and Jeff's Quonset Hut".
"Where the elite meet to rest their feet
(hemicylindrically)".

No one has done it yet.
Although they've come damned close
(in an alphabetical sense).

I have a dedicated (but inexpensive) safe in my loading room I use just for ammo storage. My gun safe is bolted down in my bedroom closet in an adjoining upstairs room. With the exception of a home defense pump shotgun kept "cruiser ready" it is my general habit to never store a loaded gun in the big safe or even keep compatable ammo and firearms together in that safe. I do keep a small 2 gun pistol safe with a few topped off mags and extra shotgun shells at my bedside for overnight convenience and for when I need to put an EDC securely away briefly during the day, otherwise the EDC is unloaded and put away in the big safe until the next time I decide to take it out. Except for that little Mossberg, which I always want at the ready, I adhere to some very rigid storage and safe handling habits.

1.12.8.39.1.1.4 Permits Not Required. Permits shall not be required for the following: (1) For smokeless propellants displayed in commercial establishments intended for sale and not exceeding 25 lbs. and stored in original manufacturer’s containers of one lb. maximum capacity. (2) Small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder stored in original containers and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use as provided in Section 1.12.8.50. Small arms ammunition, as used here, shall mean any shotgun, rifle, or pistol cartridge and any cartridge or propellant actuated devices, excluding military ammunition containing bursting charges or incendiary, tracer, spotting, or pyrotechnic projectiles.

I purchased a second safe this year to lock up my ammo. I was fine with storing it all in the basement in 50cal cans but I have a 3 year old that is starting to get more adventurous. She doesn't go to the basement alone yet but I know the day will come when she does and I don't want her playing around with that stuff. I took advantage of the Eastern Security Safe tent sale although I wish I did it last season since the price was 175more this year then last. It also keeps me more organized.

5YCttyp.jpg

Question
Storage permit for up to 30,000 rounds from fire department
From a liability point of view I could see it
But it isn’t anyone’s business
Anyone get the permit ?
Why?

Question
Storage permit for up to 30,000 rounds from fire department
From a liability point of view I could see it
But it isn’t anyone’s business
Anyone get the permit ?
Why?
Yes, I've had one since the 1970s. I just let it expire the end of last year as I had moved most of my ammo out of state. It was a easy task and the fire chief called some of his gunny firefighters into his office to formally introduce them to me. Never had a problem.

It was a easy task and the fire chief called some of his gunny firefighters into his office to formally introduce them to me. Never had a problem.

Same here. We even talked quite a bit about reloading. I had go get out since one of them was starting to hint at me doing reloads for him. I felt like I was at a gun club vs a fire station.

FD Chief in my town doesn’t know what the permit is
So I’m assuming no one else in my town has one
I tell folks in cases like this to ask the chief to call the State Fire Marshal's Office. They set the regs and will advise him about the form to use (hint-it's the same one for burn permits, new oil burners, etc.).

So what do I store my reloads in? I have......well.....alot of those. Lol

My point......how the f*** would the fire chief know what ammo I made and what was store bought.
This!!!

Someone was discussing this at an IDPA match last month and had some newer shooters panicking. I told them to relax and that it's pretty darn tough to enforce.

The fire chief calls his buddy the police chief and tells him what's going on. Suddenly, you're "unsuitable."

Thanks.

I'll consider my basement a closet. It has a door that's locked. Not that I'm worried about the chief checking my basement anyway.

Also....being a fire code.....what's the penalty? A nasty letter from the chief that gives you 30 days to comply? I speak from experience on nasty letters from the fire chief.......usually you get a window of time to comply. At least I did when I had to install "linked" smoke alarms in a 4 family house I had years ago. After I bought it and had the inspection the chief told me that being a 4 tenement that battery smoke detectors were not good enough......had to have an electrician install hard wired ones that if one went off they all went off. I had 30 days to comply

Back
Top Bottom