• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loading 9MM for a pistol caliber rifle

PL-52

NES Member
In my own little world, minding my own business
I've acquired a 9mm carbine ,and I was just wondering if I had to do anything different to reload rounds for it. I'm thinking all that is going to be different will be a little more velocity from the rifle. I don't see any different factory ammo dedicated to pistol or rifle. Rather have some one else chime in and re-assure me I'm still in the learning stages. The Marlin Forum says with a stronger recoil spring (16.5) it will shoot +P's. I 'm not going that route .

If you have a Camp Carbine 9mm, regular pistol loadings will work just fine. You'll get plenty of velocity.

One of the problems with that gun is the factory buffers, they become brittle with age and disintegrate from the bolt slamming into it and the pieces fall into the trigger mechanism and jam things up. You might want to take it apart or have a smith do it and replace the buffer with a more modern version made of more durable material.

Yep, Thanks. already have 2 polymer buffers and 2 16.5 recoil springs , I read up a lot on the pros and cons of this little plinker before I chased one down at the price I thought it was worth. Jusy looking for any advice I can get on building reloads for it safely. Read quite abit on the Marlin Forum about chrono readings around 1300fps with Plus P's I want to stay under 1200fps. My normal range 9MM load is a RNPL Berry's 124 gr. over 4.2 grains of HP-38 in a once fired mil spec brass with a CCI SPPrimer, COL of 1.150 Nothing Fancy.

Last edited:
Why do you want to stay under 1200? with what weight bullet?

Any pistol load should run in a blowback carbine. Slower powders will benefit more from the increased barrel length. Check your OAL to be sure it works in the magazines and feeds well.

Load the way you would for your pistol.

Carbines are designed to shoot factory 9mm ammo, which is pistol ammo.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking I really just wanted a second opinion. Keeping it under 1200 fps will keep any excessive pressure down to a minimum in a 30 yr old firearm . Was just my thought on the load. Hodgdons Data says it will be around 1050 fps for the load I specified

That 30yr old firearm is not going to be phased one bit by normal pistol velocity ammo. If a pistol barrel will take the stuff all day long, that rifle barrel would laugh at it.
Its a simple blowback design and the only thing you need to watch is the buffer..which you said was a new type so you should be good to go.

In my experience, a 115 or 124gr projectile with a slower powder feels better out of a PCC than a 147gr with a fast powder, but I haven't verified my splits on a timer. It just feels a bit "sluggish" with 147gr projectiles and N320 or TG.

This is in a semiauto 9mm AR w/ 8" barrel, in a USPSA setting.

In my experience, a 115 or 124gr projectile with a slower powder feels better out of a PCC than a 147gr with a fast powder, but I haven't verified my splits on a timer. It just feels a bit "sluggish" with 147gr projectiles and N320 or TG.

This is in a semiauto 9mm AR w/ 8" barrel, in a USPSA setting.

I noticed this with my Keltec Sub2000. Using my 147 gr loads with N320, it almost feels like I have to wait a short time for the bolt to return and chamber the next round. But with my 124 gr loads using N320, the action is much faster. Funny that I can't notice this with my 1911 9mm even after loading the 124s and 147s back to back in the mag...The 147s are just noticeably quieter...

The Sub2000 is just a range toy so I don't mind the sluggish action. I will say it feels better on the shoulder lol.

In factory ammo there's standard pressure, +P, +P+ and submachinegun ammo. I think the +P+ designation is just marketing nonsense and some subgun ammo is hotter than normal but some is not hotter, it's just not top of the line ammo.

Back
Top Bottom