• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loaded longgun in motor vehicle question - NH

I just need confirmation that I'm reading this correctly. Below is a direct cut and paste from the NHF&G web site. What I'm reading is I can have shells in my shotgun as long as I do not have one chambered.

"Carry a loaded firearm or cocked crossbow; A firearm is considered loaded if a round or projectile in the chamber is fully dischargeable by pulling the trigger, while the firearm or crossbow is in any type of motorized vehicle, while moving; a muzzleloader is considered unloaded if the ignition source (i.e., primer cap or flint or primer powder) is removed from the firearm."

I'll be picky and say that by the letter of this statement you are fine so long as the safety is engaged. With the safety engaged, the gun will not go bang when you pull the trigger (in theory).

However, IANAL and have no first hand knowledga of NH law and if you listen to legal "advice" on the internet...you are a fool. I was just feeling pedantic and bored this morning, so I thought I'd kick the hornets nest.

Section 207:7 Hunting From Motor Vehicle, OHRV, Snowmobile, Boat, or Aircraft.

207:7 Hunting From Motor Vehicle, OHRV, Snowmobile, Boat, or Aircraft. –
I. No person shall take or attempt to take wild birds or wild animals from a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile as defined in RSA 215-C:1, boat, aircraft or other craft propelled by mechanical power.
II. No person shall have or carry, in or on a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile, or aircraft, when moving, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, muzzleloader, or air rifle, except a person or a person's agent while in the act of protecting his or her interest in their livestock or crops. Except when crossing or traveling on a public way, such person or the person's agent may carry a loaded rifle or shotgun, muzzleloader, or air rifle while traveling through or between farming or agricultural areas while in the course of protecting his or her interest in their livestock or crops.
III. No person shall have in or on a boat or other craft while being propelled by mechanical power, or in a boat or other craft being towed by a boat or other craft propelled by mechanical power, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, muzzleloader, or air rifle.
IV. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying guns or firearms in the line of duty.

Don't do it. Some NHFG officers live to enforce that law. You need to unload your long gun before you actually get back to your car as well. I believe its 10yds minimum.

With any luck we can get the loaded long gun rule revoked altogether. Been trying for a while.

A buddy of mine got a violation in nh for his rifle in the back seat with a magazine in the well and no round chambered.

Just completely unload the gun so there are no grey areas when encountering the boys in green.

That definition of Loaded was recently added to the RSAs:

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xviii/207/207-1.htm said:
XIV-a. Loaded: A round or projectile in the chamber fully dischargeable by pulling the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom