LMT MRP upper

I've been researching and pricing out a AR15 build for when my LTC comes in and I've just been struck by the sheer sexiness of Lewis' MRP upper. Anyone here have any experience with them? They seem ridiculously expensive...but I just love the way they look. I assume for that price, they perform relatively well, too?

Did a search for MRP and couldn't find anything. Sorry if this has been discussed to death already.

While I don't (yet) own an LMT upper... I've done a LOT of research about them and they are the go-to company for many SWAT, Police, Military, Contractor etc professionals. so I'm pretty sure you can trust it to do its part. [wink]

I'm not sure if I want to go the MRP Carbine route or piece together my own. I've been leaning towards the LMT m4 upper with a 14.5" barrel, Elongated A2 flash hider and a Larue 7.0 Rail, but who knows.

I'm kind of torn myself between the MRP carbine upper and the MRP rifle upper. I think for my first rifle, I'd prefer to build an all-purpose rifle, and then maybe later I can get crazy with a carbine and a target rifle.

I'm kind of torn myself between the MRP carbine upper and the MRP rifle upper. I think for my first rifle, I'd prefer to build an all-purpose rifle, and then maybe later I can get crazy with a carbine and a target rifle.

Isn't that the beauty of ARs, though? You can just swap uppers all day long. Have one for a carbine setup, another for target shooting, etc, etc.

what lower are you guys in MA building on?
I was told be a dealer that LMT doesn't make MA-compliant (post-ban) uppers.

I don't see anything with the LMT upper that would make it non MA compliant - other than the fact they dont list a barrel with a muzzle break - they only list barrels with flash hiders.

There isn't any bayonet lug on the monolithic upper. Should be able to put it on a lower - as long as it doesn't have an adjustable stock - and be MA compliant - or am I missing something?

I have had 10.5 and 14" LMT uppers they are the only uppers I use in my builds. In my opinion the MRP is useless and If I was gonna throw big bucks at an upper it would be a 10.5 LWRC. Buy a standard LMT upper and throw the extra cash at an eotech or Knights ras

What calsdad said...I don't see how the MRP upper could be non-compliant no matter what lower you put it on, as long as you permanently affixed a muzzle break to the barrel. Am I missing something? I certainly am no AR post-ban law expert as I'm just learning about all this stuff.

Isn't that the beauty of ARs, though? You can just swap uppers all day long. Have one for a carbine setup, another for target shooting, etc, etc.

That's the goal... eventually. These uppers ain't cheap unfortunately [sad]
The MRP should be mass compliant assuming you put a perm attached muzzle break on it.

The carbine comes first and is going to be top-o-de-line:

Colt Pre-ban Lower with KNS non-rotating pins
LMT M4 upper - 14.5" with Sabre Defense Elongated A2 flash hider
LMT Sopmod Stock
Tango Down Vertical Front Grip
Troy folding rear back up irons
Larue 7.0 Free Float Rail
Blue Force Vickers Sling
Eotech 512 (for now... if it ever ships from the group buy) in a Larue Quick Disconnect Mount
Eventually an Aimpoint to top it off [wink]

Not that I've thought about this at all... [rolleyes] After that bad boy is in my hands I'll probably pick up a post ban lower and make a long range paper puncher... Then maybe my chief will let me get an SBR... Only (lots of) time will tell

Now where did that money tree go...???

Last edited:
I have one (LMT 16) and I have to say it is one of the most accurate firearms I have EVER owned.
I love this thing and it can shoot inside a quarter at 100 yards if I do my part.

I have it set up with Ace stock, Larue handguards, PRI flip down front sight, Troy flip down rear, Troy brake, Tango Down Vert Grip and rail pannels, Aimpoint Comp 3L with Arms mount, Aimpoint 3X on a Larue mount, Surefire M961 Light.

I had the upper built by (MSTN) Wes is a great guy who knows AR15's check him out at Ar15.com and the lower I have picked up from Pete (Legal Transfers -- Ar15.com -- he is in NH)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and recommendations, everyone. As soon as I can, I'll be calling up AR15sales and seeing what I can do. Would they pin a muzzle break for me?

I have also been looking at the LMT and GG&G uppers and trying to find out how to best get around the flash hider - Ideally I'd like to find somone to swap it out right away for a Comp - (have 14.5 bar w/ comp to make it 16") - anyone know of a company that will do this from the get go rather than having to bring it someone? - Thanks

Back
Top Bottom