Live near school, any issues keeping firearms at home??

Wow you nasty. Perhaps I was not clear but I doubt it. Anyways go ahead a blow what I said out of literal proportion NES style. I been here long enough to see your good at it.

If one is paying for said property and as long as damage is not an issue it is fine and LEGAL to use it as you wish. Forget about the nesessary repairs strawman and point out one scenario where the landlord has legitimate power to dictate what one possesses. Pets, sublets, extra cars and/or boats etc all clearly bring a defined burdon. Owning a once common and still legal item does not.

I still stand by it's yours to own for the duration as long as your not jeopordizing or depreciating it's value. Don't see the need to go full retard over that but I longer rent property either...
No.

You said:
Its not his property. It’s yours while you pay for it.

I was just pointing out that is not how it works.

I was just pointing out that is not how it works.

Posting something like "Keeping your mouth shut is a skill" is nothing but provocative and you know it. The repair angle is nothing more than a strawman. Has zero to do with personal protection devices. Even the other poster who swooped in to disseminate my obviously too broad of a statement agreed in his apartment he will possess what he wants.

And thats all I meant to point out. If your paying rent for a space that is yours for the duration and no limp wristed lease agreement should stand in the way. Buy a guitar case if your that worried about it. Own your guns or don't. It's that simple.

Finally I apologize about the name calling. I clearly do not know what level of statism exists from just a post or two. One provokation often leads to another. And that is what occured here...

No. I believe that being quiet is a skill. Too many people cant resist and have to tell the world what they have.

For example, that stupid wife from the guy that had a handgun in the Brockton Hospital. She had to open her mouth and talk to the police.

You don’t hear pet parents protesting no dogs allowed apartments because they can’t. If they can prohibit dogs they can prohibit guns. They own the property. Your recourse is to seek other opportunities if it comes up.

^^^ I didn’t read the “keeping your mouth shut is a skill” that Brocolli wrote as being directed at you or your post, in context it seems it was directed at the OP simply meaning “don’t go running to your landlord about how many scary guns you’re moving in this weekend”.

No. I believe that being quiet is a skill. Too many people cant resist and have to tell the world what they have.

For example, that stupid wife from the guy that had a handgun in the Brockton Hospital. She had to open her mouth and talk to the police.

Well then it appears I mistook the direction of your statement. Perhaps less ballbusting next time since we do seem to agree with what happens under ones roof is seperate from any lease horseshit however it may be written?

Well then it appears I mistook the direction of your statement. Perhaps less ballbusting next time since we do seem to agree with what happens under ones roof is seperate from any lease horseshit however it may be written?
Haha...sure. [kiss] (dont judge [laugh])

Well if they own it why not?

Is this a serious question?

Because it’s a constitutionally protected right and it is the renters home when the lease is signed despite who owns the property.

A landlord can add whatever nonsense they feel like to a lease but it’s not going to hold up in court.

Is this a serious question?

Because it’s a constitutionally protected right and it is the renters home when the lease is signed despite who owns the property.

A landlord can add whatever nonsense they feel like to a lease but it’s not going to hold up in court.

You seem to have a basic misunderstanding about "rights". First, there is not a hierarchy of rights, that is the 1st isn't considered more important than the 2nd and so on. And property owners also have rights regarding their property. And second, you, or anyone else, has the ability to voluntarily agree to a restriction on your rights. A lease prohibiting firearms, or some other property (because aren't guns just another inanimate object), that you agree to in advance of moving in, is absolutely enforceable.

I find this idea that one person's rights, the gun owner, is more important than another, the property owner, very disturbing. We all have rights, and either you support that or you don't. You do not get to pick and choose what rights are OK and what ones are not. You don't get to say one person's rights are more important than another's.

And we are all responsible for our choices. If we enter into an agreement that limits possession of something, we can, and should, be held accountable. If you don't like the condition don't sign! Whining after the fact is just infantial BS.

I certainly would never put such a condition in a lease, nor would I sign such a lease. But I respect the rights of others to do as they wish with their property. And I don't live in some fantasy land where shouting "2a" means I can violate an agreement I willingly entered into.

The Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) is an act of the U.S. Congress prohibiting any unauthorized individual from knowingly possessing a loaded or unsecured firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25). The law applies to public, private, and parochial elementary schools and high schools, and to non-private property within 1000 feet of them. It provides that the states and their political subdivisions may issue licenses that exempt the licensed individuals from the prohibition.

(B)
within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State LAW.

Also couldn't find the reference but the 1000' doesnt apply to private property

Good to know as I'm less than 1000 feet from a school. Then again I never thought much about it since the police know where I live when they issued my LTC....

Good to know as I'm less than 1000 feet from a school. Then again I never thought much about it since the police know where I live when they issued my LTC....

Ita really a none issue, i just was reviewing it all.. you could shoot your guns in a GFZ assuming you are on private property you follow all other laws...
But you have to remember just because its legal doesnt mean people are going to like it...my issue was everyone kept saying "your to close to a school" which doesnt matter anyway, but this was a preschool anyway.. not only is that not legally a school. Its right in its name PREschool... its like a daycare.

I'll probably get sh*t for even asking, but the wife is insisting I check...

We'll be renting a new apartment that is next to school (pre k/kindergarden I think). Any issues with owning firearms in the home, given we're very close to a school that is likely a gun free zone?

Also, can a landlord prohibit storing firearms in their units?

Your only issue was posting something on social media that contained the words "firearm" and "school" in the same sentence.

Oops! Now I dun goofed too.

Ita really a none issue, i just was reviewing it all.. you could shoot your guns in a GFZ assuming you are on private property you follow all other laws...
But you have to remember just because its legal doesnt mean people are going to like it...my issue was everyone kept saying "your to close to a school" which doesnt matter anyway, but this was a preschool anyway.. not only is that not legally a school. Its right in its name PREschool... its like a daycare.

Yup, spot on. Preschool is not a school, it's a f***ing daycare and doesn't qualify. Also, all legal gun owners in MA are covered carrying and moving guns around in that 1000' zone by the fact that you have a state-issued permission slip that meets the criteria set out in federal law. LTC definitely counts, and though I'm not certain if an FID would count, I believe it should. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

You just can't carry into the school, that's verboten. Not sure about parking lots, someone else will need to answer that.

lots of great info here thanks everyone.

crazy enough I was boating this past weekend and all of my guns fell off the back so I guess this is no longer an issue. such a freak accident.

You seem to have a basic misunderstanding about "rights". First, there is not a hierarchy of rights, that is the 1st isn't considered more important than the 2nd and so on. And property owners also have rights regarding their property. And second, you, or anyone else, has the ability to voluntarily agree to a restriction on your rights. A lease prohibiting firearms, or some other property (because aren't guns just another inanimate object), that you agree to in advance of moving in, is absolutely enforceable.

I find this idea that one person's rights, the gun owner, is more important than another, the property owner, very disturbing. We all have rights, and either you support that or you don't. You do not get to pick and choose what rights are OK and what ones are not. You don't get to say one person's rights are more important than another's.

And we are all responsible for our choices. If we enter into an agreement that limits possession of something, we can, and should, be held accountable. If you don't like the condition don't sign! Whining after the fact is just infantial BS.

I certainly would never put such a condition in a lease, nor would I sign such a lease. But I respect the rights of others to do as they wish with their property. And I don't live in some fantasy land where shouting "2a" means I can violate an agreement I willingly entered into.

If only all rights were absolute all of the time. So I can refuse to rent to certain minorities just because? How is the property owner suffering a diminishment of their right of ownership by not being able to have a no guns clause?

So I can refuse to rent to certain minorities just because? How is the property owner suffering a diminishment of their right of ownership by not being able to have a no guns clause?
There was a time when renting to a minority would clearly reduce the property value of the property and the neighboring properties. When fair housing became the law of the land, diminishment of value was no longer a valid reason not to rent to minorities.

There is still a vestige of this today. While people today welcome people of all colors to a neighborhood, there is a tipping point of 20%-30% or so minority population, after which white people stop buying and it becomes an all minority area over time. We do still in a very race-conscious, if not racist, society.

Imagine your not white and move to a white neighborhood... I'd imagine youd be looking to move once 30% of your neighbors are the people you were trying to escape from in the first place.
White people dont have a monopoly on racism...also for it to be racist one group would have to think themselves the betters.

I assume it's about not wanting to live in a high-crime area with trash in the streets and babies out after midnight, more than skin color anyway.

Just be sure the preschool does not also operate a state accredited kindergarten on site.
Rob, since when is an "accredited kindergarten" an elementary school? I don't think it fits that definition any more than a licensed daycare center would (not).

Please read MGL C. 269 S. 10 (j) carefully.

Im not sure about state law but federally it's elementary and beyond. kindergarden doesnt count... even if it did.. private property is exempt and even then im beyond 1000 feet..

Rob, since when is an "accredited kindergarten" an elementary school? I don't think it fits that definition any more than a licensed daycare center would (not).

Please read MGL C. 269 S. 10 (j) carefully.
Good point. I always thought schools were broken down into elementary/middle/high and the kindergarten would be considered part of elementary school. But, I may be wrong about that. Even so, I would not chance it.

Good point. I always thought schools were broken down into elementary/middle/high and the kindergarten would be considered part of elementary school. But, I may be wrong about that. Even so, I would not chance it.

C. 269 S. 10(j) For the purposes of this paragraph, ''firearm'' shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged.

Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer and notwithstanding any license obtained by the person pursuant to chapter 140, carries on the person a firearm, loaded or unloaded, or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of the elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 or by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or both. A law enforcement officer may arrest without a warrant and detain a person found carrying a firearm in violation of this paragraph.

No, elementary does not include K or pre-K unless physically present in the same building as the above choices in red.

A LEO and DA can make up any law they want, but it is clearly laid out in MGL as to what is and isn't a restricted area wrt schools.

I thought all kindergartens were inside elementary schools? I understand a private pre school, but I've never seen a private kindergarten?
(and I have kids in that age group). I carry concealed into daycare/pre schools all the time.

I thought all kindergartens were inside elementary schools? I understand a private pre school, but I've never seen a private kindergarten?
(and I have kids in that age group). I carry concealed into daycare/pre schools all the time.
They may be co-located in which case off-limits. If in a separate building, OK as Kindergarten does not meet the definition of an "elementary school grade".

I would image wether its a public or private kindergarden, aslone as its not locate with an elementary school...public or private wouldnt matter.

Also this thread is in regards to private property which is specifically exempt..

Fortunately for me i have no reason to be at a school..except for voting.
Imo with GFZ laws, it should be illegal to have a polling location in GFZ

Back
Top Bottom