Like a slow leak...

allen-1

NES Member
You ever have a slow leak in one of your car/truck tires? If you blow out the tire you replace it. If you have a slow leak, you kind of live with it. You just keep putting air in it until it gets too bad to live with, right? Unless you're really OCD.

I'm a limited reloader, I only load 9mm, and that's because that's what I shoot the most of. My wife bought me a Dillon 650 for Christmas a year ago, (yeah, I'm Jewish - she buys me Christmas presents - deal with it - I do).

Anyhow, moving on. I check the powder charge every fifty rounds or so, I check the overall length at the same time, and I chamber check every single round. Lately, more and more of the rounds have been failing the chamber check. Like 30 out of the last 300 rounds I loaded. That's a really high percentage.

And it kind of crept up to that high percentage. To where I suddenly realized that hey wait - way too many of these rounds are failing the chamber check.

Yeah, those of you who are more famliiar with the equipment than I am, (or who swap it around for different calibers), already know where this is going - the sizing die had backed out. Duh.

A minute with two wrenches and we're back to zero failures.

And a box of ammo that I have to dis-assemble. Live and learn.

I've been reloading a long time. one thing I've learned to do every once in a while is just give the die a little twist to make sure it hasn't backed out.

Not the same as your issue, but back when I loaded on an L-N-L Progressive, the shell plate would occasionally back out a bit, resulting in high primers. I got in the habit of checking the bolt for tightness every time I weighed a charge and checked OAL.

I now load on a Dillon 650 which has a set screw that keeps the shellplate bolt in place.

Back
Top Bottom