Update-Liberty Safe Electronic Lock Fail

Hi all. I read much here and learn some. I would appreciate some sugestions/recommendations for fixing an issue with my "safe".

It is a Liberty, electronic code operated storage solution that I purchased years ago. It has stopped working. I use this daily and change the battery yearly. Yes, I wish i had more money for a better safe, but it was what i could afford and has served me well (till today).

Code did not work when i went to disarm after work for shower (no i dont have shower gun storage) keypad offered extra beeps on some numbers and would not unlock. I assumed it needed a new battery even though there should be many months left of charge. I replaced the battery and it beeped constanty which apparently means the code had been entered incorrectly which initiates a timeout period. Waited well past the reccomended 20 minute wait time but the keypad still does not work properly. Tried again with a brand new battery and am still having the same problem. Now the keypad is not responding at all. I believe i have a bigger issue and am looking for recomendations on who services this type of issue in the south shore Cape cod area. Any help is appreciated.

Also, if anyone can give me an address for Liberty headquarters for the prerequisite upperdecker/bang wife/keys on roof protocol for bonus points.

Thanks

P.s. i have fat fingers and can't spell anyway so grammar nazis can f off

Who makes the digital locks for Liberty? Is it AmSec?

I had a digital lock on my American Security safe, which worked fine... until one day it just didn't. New batteries, just like you. It would accept a single, or maybe two button presses, then nothing. (I think, it's been a while)

I was all prepared to have it drilled, but the safe guy came with a replacement keypad, which worked! The actual mechanism inside was fine. Yes, it was the original combination, not the new keypad's default. The combo is stored on the part inside the door, not the keypad.

Apparently the keypads go bad. It's a known thing. AmSec told me I should replace the lock every five years. Seriously. screw that.

I replaced it with a mechanical lock from S&G

Anyway, it's entirely possible that the keypad, and only the keypad, is roached.

I had a digital lock on my American Security safe, which worked fine... until one day it just didn't. New batteries, just like you. It would accept a single, or maybe two button presses, then nothing. (I think, it's been a while)

I was all prepared to have it drilled, but the safe guy came with a replacement keypad, which worked! The actual mechanism inside was fine. Yes, it was the original combination, not the new keypad's default. The combo is stored on the part inside the door, not the keypad.

Apparently the keypads go bad. It's a known thing. AmSec told me I should replace the lock every five years. Seriously. screw that.

I replaced it with a mechanical lock from S&G

Anyway, it's entirely possible that the keypad, and only the keypad, is roached.

Good gouge here. 👆

Thanks all. @milktree i think thats exactly what i will try. I will get back to this thread with an update after.

No overide key unfortunatly.

They do sell replacement keypads on the Liberty website

@milktree were you able to get the mechanical lock installed on the safe that originally had the electric lock? That sounds much more reliable

First is to try a replacement keypd as already noted.

After that, try to find a safe tech who has a Taylor Security Phoenix electronic safe opener - opens almost every non-GSA certified brand name electronic lock in 15 minutes; possibly less if you have the combination.

I have a LaGard swingbold electronic lock on one of my safes that is 26 years old that I am thinking of replacing.

If the lock is a swingbolt, you can use a Securam Xtreme lock that has both combination and electronic functonality, but the LIberty likely uses a drawbolt.

Last edited:
X2 on replacing the keypad. After you get it open, you can decide your next course of action, either leaving the new keypad installed, or replacing the entire lock assembly. Most are easy to replace once you get a look at it.

Apparently the keypads go bad. It's a known thing. AmSec told me I should replace the lock every five years.
AMSEC makes several grades of electronic lock, the entry level model is... not great, and that is the one cheap RSC vendors include with their "safes".
Liberty are junk, just like most.
SECURAM makes the electronic locks (the ones with the famous factory backdoor code) for Liberty Safe.

@milktree were you able to get the mechanical lock installed on the safe that originally had the electric lock? That sounds much more reliable

The safe came with a mechanical lock which I replaced with the digital one. I hated the OEM lock because it was black on polished brass and the reflections made it really hard to open quickly.

The S&G mechanical one I replaced the digital one with is white in black and MUCH easier to read.

The locks’ footprint is standard, so replacing them was straightforward. The only fussy bit is aligning the dial and lock so it turns freely without binding or rubbing. That just takes time and some tapping.

Again plus one on the keypad. I had this happen to me a few years back on a Winchester safe. $70 for a new keypad, the number is stored in the logic board inside the safe. Simple plug and play ribbon cable and I was able to open the safe.

I purchased a cheap Cannon safe from Tractor Supply some years ago. Had the keypad lock, immediately ordered an S&G mechanical lock and replaced it. Actually was pretty easy, and for a hundred bucks no worries about failure, unless my memory goes kaput.

I’m also a fan of the S&G but I have several digital.
So when you change just the keypad, can you use the code programmed on the old one or do you use the new code that came with a new lock?

Mountain beat me to it, but my suggestion was going to be vodka, a crowbar and plenty of time.

I just threw an electric bedside safe in the trash today. It was a pretty expensive gift many years ago never worked right. I finally did get it to operate kind of, but the little gas pistons in it were strong enough to lift it so you have to hold it upside down to get things out of it or mount it upside down wall. I guess it hit it with your fist. Definitely not something I’d rely on.

Any luck with Liberty? If all else fails, you could hire a company to open the safe and change the lock. My son in law owns such a company and did that for me.

Michael Bane (semi-famous gun guy) had a Canon electronic lock an wrote about it CANNON SAFE FAILURE!

Short form: Canon stands by its warranty. Here is your new lock. The lockout is your problem, not Canon's.

Last edited:
I sent off an email to liberty. Hoping to get a free keypad and will be swapping out for a mechanical lock as soon as i get it open. If i have to buy a replacement keypad i will but like most of the other members here i am somewhat of a skinflint and dont wanr to spend money on something i plan on throwing away.

Back
Top Bottom