Leveling scope reticle

Well after spending money on a decent scope getting it mounted/leveled properly has been a pain in the butt but I think I finally got it as good as its going to get. After three frustrating attempts with a Wheeler Level Level Level system (which is terrible quality by the way two levels would not read the same on same surface and take the level off and put it back on again and getting different readings counter top) i decided to go with the plumb line technique. I hung the line in the woods about 35 yards away, leveled the rifle with three different level to be sure and lined up the reticle.

If the reticle is not level its damn close. The entire verticle line stays within the 1/4" rope line. My thoughts are I am less than 1 deg off from level if not level and looking through the bore the line cuts it right in half.

close enough right? I'll probably never know the difference.

Trust your eye... level the rifle the best you can then level the scope. The reticle will almost always creep on you while tightening the rings. Your head position will be off more than the reticle at times so if that's as close as you can get and it doesn't "look" crooked when you look through it run it.
I bought a few small levels at ace hardware and tested them on the counter to see if they read close to the sale.

That should do it.

A plumb line IS vertical, gravity doesn't lie.
So, as long as you got the rifle set up properly LEVEL horizontally, (yes I read your THREE levels), you should be good to go.

I just re-leveled one of my .22's because I chose the wrong spot to set my level on, and when I shouldered it, I could tell that the horizontal wasn't level. Frustrating indeed.

Back
Top Bottom