Leupold Varmint Hunter's Reticle

dreppucci007

NES Member
Does anybody have any experience with a Leupold that has this reticle?

What are your thoughts/opinions? I've almost convinced myself to go with this as opposed to a Mil-dot reticle, but wanted to see what others have to say first.

Here's the quick breakdown of it for those of you who don't know what it's about:

leupoldvarminthuntersreticle.jpg

Yeah...That's the point of the reticle...It's got great markings for distance and windage, and it wouldn't involve any calculation like with a Mil-dot reticle.

Does anybody have any experience with it?

Dave, I've researched it a bit and found it to be a well regarded concept. I know you are a Leupold fan so I'd say go ahead. One thing. Do you shoot at the extended ranges this reticle provides for? My range is strictly a 100 yard set up so this would be essentially useless to me. Good luck.

Thanks Chris...I've actually considered this reticle for a while now, but never had the right rifle to really put it on...Now I do.

My current club (MRA) goes out to 200 yards, but have been considering other clubs that go out longer, and have friends that belong to clubs with up to 600 yard ranges.

I'd ideally like to go on a Prairie Dog Hunt one of these days, and this would be perfect for it.

Regardless of the "varmint" use that it may encounter, I really like the windage/yardage markings of the reticle, even for standard target shooting.

I'm gonna go with this one here:

Leupold VX-3 Long Range Scope 30mm Tube 6.5-20x 40mm Side Focus Varmint Hunter's Reticle Matte

Once I can afford it [laugh] and put it on the rifle, I'll get a range report out.

If anyone else actually has experience with this reticle, I'd still appreciate feedback.

Last edited:
I'd get the scope with target turrets. It will make it easier to make fine adjustments if the BDC is off a little.

I'd get the scope with target turrets. It will make it easier to make fine adjustments if the BDC is off a little.

I actually have been considering it...It not only gives me those fine adjustments, but it's also a 6.5-20 x50mm as opposed to the 6.5-20 x40mm, so more light can come through. It's also an extra $150, which I know isn't much, but I'm a little strapped right now, and that would cover the Leupold Mark 4 rings. Decisions decisions. I may very well end up just splurging and getting the more expensive one though, because I've always been a proponent of putting the nicest scope on my rifle.

Back
Top Bottom