Letter of the law

I have a question about SBRs. I just bought a Kahr Arms 1927A1 Thompson with the 16.5" barrel. I'd like to buy a GI 10.5" barrel and legally have it converted to the more original looking Thompson carbine. So my question is, do I have to have the SBR paperwork done and approved before I buy the barrel or can I have the rifle and the barrel and (barrel not installed) before I get the tax stamp approved?

I have a question about SBRs. I just bought a Kahr Arms 1927A1 Thompson with the 16.5" barrel. I'd like to buy a GI 10.5" barrel and legally have it converted to the more original looking Thompson carbine. So my question is, do I have to have the SBR paperwork done and approved before I buy the barrel or can I have the rifle and the barrel and (barrel not installed) before I get the tax stamp approved?
stamp 1st then barrel (or have a friend hold the barrel for you until approved) otherwise while fairly unlikely (unless "they" are already watching you) having both gun and barrel before form 1 approved could be "constructive possession" of an unregistered SBR...

stamp 1st then barrel (or have a friend hold the barrel for you until approved) otherwise while fairly unlikely (unless "they" are already watching you) having both gun and barrel before form 1 approved could be "constructive possession" of an unregistered SBR...

I thought so.... Thanks!

You know another route to take would be to just buy the tommy gun pistol. By the time you've filed all the forms, bought all the parts and put all the labor in, you're probably right about the cost of one of these things.

Also, I don't know for sure about the logistics... But there was always a huge issue with rebarreling a tommy gun, as the sights were put on after the barrerl was installed. so, trying to get the front sight to be straight is probably not going to happen, so, You will probably need to some how figure a way around that as well.

Back
Top Bottom