Let's talk about .410

I’ve killed a stack of tree rats with .410 up close but I’m not sure I’d stretch it out too far. I think it would be a great rabbit round if your into that. I saw what a 12 did to one while bird hunting one day north of the Golden Rd. There wasn’t much left and the hunter left it hanging on a branch.
Not cheap or easy to find.

I've always wanted one of these because why not?

A 410 is often suggested as a good choice for beginners but I disagree. A 410 is an expert's gun. It has a small payload and precise shot placement is critical. If you decide to get a 410 shotgun to go with your revolver, you'll be rewarded with light recoil but you might not hit much.
Learned to shoot shotgun with a Ithaca Model 66 Super Single Youth model. $35 out the door brand new. Killed hundreds of quail and doves with it. Dove season is huge, out west, used to travel 300 miles to the Imperial Valley of Ca, for a 12 dove limit, NEVER failed to limit out, while the slobs blew holes in the sky with 12 gauges. Make the trip with 4 guys, 3 with 12 ga, me with my .410, and the total take is 18 birds: me-12, my boss-4, the other 2...one bird apiece! Makes for an uncomfortable remainder of the trip!
Once I inherited an old Winchester Model 12, I switched to 12 gauge, and COULD NOT MISS....for a while, since then I've gotten sloppy and can't hit much with my old .410.

I have the governor from S&W, that is my home defense gun with 2 410 shot shell, 2 410 defense round, 2 45 long colt 250 gr ammo. a lttle of everthing.

I would love to get one of those old survival rifles with a .22 barrel and a .410 barrel.

I think .410 is useful in a situation like survival. More shells can be carried than 12 or 20 Guage. And you can take decent sized game with it. Pair it with .22 and I really like the survival factor

I believe the Savage Model 42 is still being sold -- I looked at one a couple of years ago and opted for a TNW PCC instead. The jury is still out on that decision.

When skeet with a 12 gauge gets too easy, try it with a .410. Had a skeet lesson from a guy who not only shot 24/25 with his .410, he did it standing on one foot.

Mossberg makes a nice compact .410 that's great for teaching children how to shoot moving targets. Rossi has a single-shot with interchangeable .410 and .22 barrels which is also great for teaching beginners - very safe.

I've been wanting a lever in .410. I've been eyeballing a Henry model but the price is a bit high. Both are close to msrp of $1,000 (+ for the 24" model and - for the shorter version). There are also plus and minuses to each so that doesn't help. Their part of Henries kick on having a side gate loader. The shorter version (bottom) is the size I'd prefer and has working sights which would be the pluses over the other. The longer version (top) has only a front bead sight but accepts invector type choke tubes were the other doesn't have a choke system which seems the opposite of what it should be.

H018G-410_410R_Hero.jpg

just look at that turtle head like a 7.62 nagant and you can reload it! With what I don’t freakin know....
At least put some glitter in there and stick an adhesive dot over it.

So uncircumcised.
doge.jpg

I always found it interesting that it's the only shotgun round designated by the bore size, its .410 bore not gauge.
cci-0039-bx-2.jpg

I believe the Savage Model 42 is still being sold -- I looked at one a couple of years ago and opted for a TNW PCC instead. The jury is still out on that decision.
Chiappa makes two, a modified M6 scout reproduction and the Double Badger. I prefer the Double Badger, it's got a wood stock and has a .410 and .243 Winchester configuration. The M6 is only in 12 or 20 gauge and with either .22 LR or .22 Mag and has this ugly styrofoam looking buttstock and it costs $200 more than what the Double Badger was selling for in normal times.

Last edited:
Chiappa makes two, a modified M6 scout reproduction and the Double Badger. I prefer the Double Badger, it's got a wood stock and has a .410 and .243 Winchester configuration. The M6 is only in 12 or 20 gauge and with either .22 LR or .22 Mag.
A 410 22 seems ideal to me

Both of my kids first shots were with a .410, at a stationary clay at 15 feet (single-shot H&R, buttstock under the arm, be holding the butt. Broken birds. Extremely happy 5-year-olds. [laugh]
That’s exactly what my dad did with me back in early 70’s. Used my grandmother’s single shot .410. I still have it.

Mainly going to focus on shotguns, but if people want to talk about revolvers and derringers as well feel free since part of the reason I want to talk about .410s involves the handguns.

So, I bought a Judge Public Defender model (all steel) two years ago and it shoots .410 fine within reasonable distances and shoots my .45 Colt reloads really well. It's a keeper and I'd like to add a .410 shotgun to go along with it, but it seems no one ever has anything good to say about .410 shotguns. I'd like to know what are .410's capable of, what are they best at doing, what are they not good at, and why should or shouldn't someone buy a .410?

I know ammo sure is expensive, enough so that I'm willing to load my own, so if ammo price isn't a factor, how much does that change things?
tristar maks a nice looking 410 sxs for around $900; they have them up at cabelas in hudson ma. i have s&w governor and love it

I love the .410 round, it's so versatile and manageable recoil. I got my Mom a Mossberg 500 .410 Home Defender.
I found an unusual use for the #9 Birdshot. I've been waging a war for over 4 decades with an enemy of the flying/stinging variety. Working in a Lumberyard I encounter Hornets, Bald Faced Wasps, Yellowjackets etc. Most Construction Grade Spruce & Fir comes wrapped to keep the weather out. These bastards crawl up under the wrapper and build their nest. For years we'd burn the end of the unit until our Insurance Company got wind of it. Since fire was out, we'd wait for a cool or rainy morning, and some poor soul would have to slice a hole in the wrapper above where we thought the nest would be, and we'd unload a case of Raid on their ass. It might take a few attempts, but we'd usually get them. Every couple of years we get a big nest in a unit that's shifted in transit. Instead of having a nice flush end, some boards have pushed out leaving a nice big dry cavity. About 5 years ago, we had a unit of 2x10x22' Douglas Fir that was home to a big nest of Yellowjackets. Anyone went within 20 feet of that end of the unit and they would get dive bombed by those little f%@kers. One Saturday morning before we opened, I had a guy with a cabbed forklift pull the unit down and set it out of the way. We close at Noon on Saturday, so the invaders had 5 hours to settle down and get accustom to their new location and elevation. I stopped at my parents house on the way to work and grabbed my Mom's Mossberg .410, I had brought my Governor from home and I keep a single shot .410 at work in my safe. We locked the gate and headed out back. We had 25 rounds of #9 Birdshot. These pictures are screen grabs from the video. I'm a lefty, but I was filming with my left hand, righty seemed to work okay. When we were done, one inhabitant was crawling away. This worked better than I had expected.

Attachments

• 20210214_094046.jpg
    20210214_094046.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210214_094148.jpg
    20210214_094148.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210214_094545.jpg
    20210214_094545.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210214_094112.jpg
    20210214_094112.jpg