Legality of Yugo M95 (5.56 chambered AK) in Mass?

There are some really sweet Yugo M95A kits for sale at AK Files. The idea of a nice Yugo AK chambered in 5.56 appeals to me.

Copy2ofIMG_2350.jpg

I know that they would need the requisite number of US-made parts. I also know that I'd have to build an AWB version of the rifle - swapping a muzzle brake for the flash hider and either pinning the folding stock or going with a fixed stock. I can live with all that. But the big question is whether or not I can use high-capacity mags.

Anyone know if there are pre-94 mags available for these?

I've yet to find any info to determine pre-ban AK mags from post-ban AK mags.

Some mags will have various markings (depending on the country of manufacture), but I don't know how (or if) the date can be determined from them (I'll bet the BATF can though [thinking] ).

Let the buyer beware... [sad2]

I would be more in to go with AK mag construction as an indicator of pre/post ban manufacture. I haven't seen an AK mag ( YMMV and my .02 cents ) with any markings. I have seen alot of different AK mag makers and contructions and that COULD be used as a basis for time. I wouldn't worry too much about the mag stuff - maybe the mags that came with the Norinco pre-ban 5.56 AK's would work...

Joe R.

I would be more in to go with AK mag construction as an indicator of pre/post ban manufacture. I haven't seen an AK mag ( YMMV and my .02 cents ) with any markings. I have seen alot of different AK mag makers and contructions and that COULD be used as a basis for time. I wouldn't worry too much about the mag stuff - maybe the mags that came with the Norinco pre-ban 5.56 AK's would work...

Joe R.

Here's a couple of guides to aid in determining various AK mags by construction and markings (nice for collectors, but not much use to determine post-ban/pre-ban status [thinking])...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shooter2_indy/ak74_mag_guide.html

http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7471

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/mags/index.html

5.45x39 mags can be converted to 5.56 by replacing the follower, but there's still the problem of knowing if the mags are pre-ban or not, plus under the old fed AWB, the BATF ruled that it was illegal to convert a hi-cap mag to function in another firearm with the stipulation that the mag could no longer properly function in the firearm for which the mag was originally intended. Doing so was considered manufacturing a new post-ban mag. I'm reasonably confident that the MA AGs office would apply that same ruling/determination (however, IANAL).

I've spent a fair amount of time searching and reading up on these but I haven't yet been able to determine if Zastava even produced the 5.56-chambered M90 prior to September 1994. If they didn't, I guess it's a dead deal, unless I move out of this state. If they did, and I can prove that magazines were manufactured prior to the September 1994 AWB, then who has the burden of proof that these mags are OK? Is the burden of proof on me to demonstrate that these mags were manufactured pre-ban? Or would the burden of proof be on the attorney general to prove that these mags were made after 1994?

Lets stop being silly....Are the mags in anyway date marked etc? Assuming they are not, unless you plan on going out and doing something stupid, there is really no reason to think the AG (or anyone else) is going to make an issue out of it...

I'm not being silly. If the Yugo M90 wasn't even produced in 5.56 caliber prior to September 1994 then there is no way that high-capacity magazines could be legal in Massachusetts. Sort of like the FN Five Seven, it's impossible to find a Mass compliant high-cap mag for that pistol because it wasn't manufactured until the AWB was in place.

In a perfect world, the burden is always on the Commonwealth but you and only you can protect yourself. The more documentation you have the better. If someone should challenge you, you should be prepared to back yourself up.

Concerns similar to yours with these mags have been expressed with Glock, AR and other unmarked mags.

I'm not being silly. If the Yugo M90 wasn't even produced in 5.56 caliber prior to September 1994 then there is no way that high-capacity magazines could be legal in Massachusetts. Sort of like the FN Five Seven, it's impossible to find a Mass compliant high-cap mag for that pistol because it wasn't manufactured until the AWB was in place.

The Yugo M90 is an AK, not something "fancy and new" that it is obviously lacking pre-94 mags (such as an FN PS90)...And there were plenty of pre94 223 AK's, so you are being silly to think that unmarked 223 AK mags are obvious "post ban" simply because yugoslavia possibly didn't make thier 223 AK until some time in the 90's.
So as I said unless you go make a specticle of yourself and find yourself "up the creek" NO ONE is doing the types of test/reseach neccesary to prove otherwise...AND if you find yourself "UP THE CREEK" you have much bigger concerns than some "grey area" AK mags...

The Yugo M90 is an AK, not something "fancy and new" that it is obviously lacking pre-94 mags (such as an FN PS90)...And there were plenty of pre94 223 AK's, so you are being silly to think that unmarked 223 AK mags are obvious "post ban" simply because yugoslavia possibly didn't make thier 223 AK until some time in the 90's.
So as I said unless you go make a specticle of yourself and find yourself "up the creek" NO ONE is doing the types of test/reseach neccesary to prove otherwise...AND if you find yourself "UP THE CREEK" you have much bigger concerns than some "grey area" AK mags...

There it is in a nutshell. I have never seen anybody at the range going thru my magazine supply telling me that these are bad. Derek can back me up on this but the law would make a killing at Camp Perry! Guess what, nobody there checks or says anything about your mags there. I'm worried about that and will cross that bridge when it happens but MA is very inconsistant with its policies - just the way I like it! [laugh]

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom