Lee sizing/depriming die?

I just got a set of Lee 41 mag dies. I set them up all up with no problem except for the sizing/depriming die.

I followed the instructions for putting it in press, a Hornady LNL AP and I used a Hornaday bushing.

Trying to twist the top to extend the decapping pin is impossibile with my fingers. So I tried using two wrenches like the instructions say and the pin still won't move.

Can any one tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
The decapping pin on a Lee die is held in place with the friction applied by the compression nut that holds it in place.

Use a 3/4" wrench across the two flats on the die body to hold the die in place, then use a 1/2" wrench to loosen the compression nut that holds the decapping pin. The pin will probably still be tight inside the nut, so once it's loose, tap the pin up or down until it's at the right height.

EDIT: Once you've found the right height, tighten the crap out of it; otherwise it'll slip when you decap.

Last edited:
Thanks, I never thought about tapping it. I'll never buy a set of lee dies again. They might be cheaper than the Hornady's but the screwing around with the decapping die isn't worth the savings..

Thanks, I never thought about tapping it. I'll never buy a set of lee dies again. They might be cheaper than the Hornady's but the screwing around with the decapping die isn't worth the savings..

NP. Once you get it set, hope it sizes them right. That's my biggest complaint with Lee dies.

Well I tapped it, I banged it, got a big hammer and I whacked it and gave up and after 3 days of fighting with it, admitted defeat.

So I called Lee and nicely asked to talk to a tech. So this guy name Dave says calmly after I explain the problem.

Oh that die is bad, it must have the wrong pin in it. I'll send you a new one.

Good customer service but I got the feeling that they got a lot of these calls.

I should have bought the Hornady dies when you figure in the free bullets their cheaper.

I find that my Lee neck sizing 308 dies work just great and produce very accurate ammo. I got a set of full length sizing 308 dies for my gas guns and gave up after a day. I gave them away and bought a set of RCBS. The price difference isn't worth it. If you break a part, like a depriming rod, you pay for a replacement with Lee. RCBS sends one free. I find some Lee tools handy, other not so much.

I've had terrible luck with Lee dies. I reload over a dozen calibers and started out with Lee dies (based on recommendations from another board).

I've had no less than three Lee sizing dies that would not size the cases properly. The .32 ACP and .40/10mm dies sized the cases too large (they wouldn't even hold a bullet), and the .30 Carbine dies sized the cases too small - so small that the bullets seated crooked and the cases looked like hourglasses.

I also hate the powder though expander dies that come with the Lee sets. I don't pour powder through them, I just use them as regular expanders. The problem is that the expander funnels float inside the dies and for some calibers, I can't set them low enough to function in my press. I have to put washers inside to fix the funnels in place.

The "nut" that holds the expander funnel is aluminum, and it crushes a bit after repeated use, forcing you to readjust the expander dies periodically. The same thing happens on the aluminum parts of the seating die.

I'm slowly replacing most of my Lee dies with sets from Redding (awesome!), Hornady (the best seating dies), or RCBS.

Eddie, are the Redding dies a good value because I am thinking of doing what you did, switching over from Lee. I think their problem is more Quality control than anything else...Can you use the Lee shellholders with the Redding dies? Problem is I have so much into Lee equipment it's gonna take a while to switch over completely.

Eddie, are the Redding dies a good value because I am thinking of doing what you did, switching over from Lee.
I've found the Redding dies to be excellent, but I think the Hornady dies are a better value. You can get a Hornady 4-die (separate crimp die) set for about 2/3 the price of a Redding 3-die set. I prefer the Hornady split-collar locking nuts (you can see them in the picture linked below) to the nuts that put a set screw into the threads. Also, IMO, Hornady's bullet seating dies are the best - they have a sliding collar on the bottom that centers and straightens misaligned bullets before the seating operation starts.

Plus, you get 100 free bullets from Hornady when you buy a set. Here they are:

highresimage

Hornady is not free from its own QC problems though. Lugnut had a bad Hornady sizing die which they replaced for him.

Problem is I have so much into Lee equipment it's gonna take a while to switch over completely.

Tell me about it. I bought Lee dies because they were cheap, a lot of people swore by them, and I figured "dies are dies". I'm not needlessly flaming Lee here - I've made plenty of good ammo with them, unfortunately, I've also made some not-so-good ammo with them.

The collet dies are working good for me, but I had a 223 bullet seater die that was driving me nuts because it kept seating the bullets at different depths. After a closer examination I discoverd the alumnium adjuster was not completely milled on the inside, it was stepped and the plug would sometimes slip into the deeper recess causing the problem. Thanks for the input....

Walter...

I ordered a set of Hornady 41mag dies from Midwayusa. Even though I have the Lee die on the way. All my other dies are Hornady except for the FCD dies.

The Hornady dies are better than the Lees for a couple of reasons. I think the locking ring with the allen screw makes them easier to use. It seems that I can ever get the Lee die to lock up and stop moving in the Hornady bushing.

The seating die is also easier to use and always stays the same.

The odd thing is that Midway is cheaper to get stuff from than Hornady.

Back
Top Bottom