Lee Loadmaster Press

OK, I know, I know... "Get a Dillon" is the mantra... but:

I just couldn't spend that much on a press. So I bought a Lee Loadmaster set up for .45ACP, factory crimp die, and the case collater.

It arrived yesterday, so let me give you a brief overview of my night:

7:45 PM - off to the workshop to set it up
8:00 PM - It is bolted to the bench
9:00 PM - Dies are set
9:30 PM - Powder feed and case feed set up, adjusted, and functioning
9:45 PM - The primer feeder is set up and adjusted to correct primer depth
10:00 PM - ~20 rounds loaded, going very slowly, checking each case at each stage (primer, powder, expansion). Had to tweak the case feeder 2 times to get it right (a little lube helped allot too).
10:15 PM - 75 more rounds loaded up and in boxes without incident, all else cleaned up (powder + primers), me astounded at the speed and ease of the loading (very satisfying to see complete cartidges popping out of the press every few seconds!).

So, I'm a pretty satisfied customer[smile]. There was an initially quality issue on the powder measure. I'll have to get it replaced, but fortunately I had one from my turret press to use.

Lee gets a bad wrap, and it is no doubt deserved, for the terrible "manual" if for nothing else. This is not a machine for those who are not mechanically inclined, if only because of the directions that come with it. If I had not watched the videos on You-Tube about how to set it up, I'd have been screwed, and I am an engineer by trade and training.

I'll give another update after more rounds are through it, but for $215 for the press with dies, powder measure, and case feeder my initial impression is this thing is a steal for the mechanically inclined. The $10 case collater is amazingly efficient. Works just as advertised.

Right on!
Nice results. I have said for a long time, that I love my Lee presses, and am happy with the quality, and speed of the press. I am a satisfied customer, and will continue to purchase Lee products!

After watching some youtube videos on this thing, I want to get one... and I don't even have a gun yet! It looks fun to play with [smile]

Reloading is fun! I went with the Pro1000 presses instead. Mostly because I'm a cheep bastard, and I can still get 500+ rounds/hr.

Well, I've had this press for a month now, so I thought I'd give an update after having used it for a while:

It's great! It is absolutely the best progressive press you can get for the $! (of course that narrows the field to this press and the Lee1000!).

Problems I've had:
1) There was an initial quality problem with the powder measure. Resolved without incident.
2) One primer feed failure which resulted from me not inserting the primer tray into the fully which allowed the primer to jam in the feed ramp.
3) The depriming pin pushed out a couple of times:
a) the first time it was because there was some 9mm left in my media during tumbling that jambed inside my .45 cases. They fed together right through the case feeder and caused the decapping pin to push up.
b) the second time it happened because I didn't tighten the collet on the depriming pin properly.
4) Had some rounds with irregular OAL (+-.005"). Turned out the shell plate was loose. Now I check it before I start reloading.

Now that I know to watch for these things, I'm not anticipating further problems.

Typically I'll reload ~50 at a whack. This will take me about 15minutes start to finish. When I get going, they crank out like there's no tomorrow. Last night I cranked out ~250 in about 30 minutes including clean up.

If you are considering a Lee, kick in a little extra and go for the Loadmaster. I don't think you'll be disappointed. (though I'll reiterate my warning that the directions that come with is SUCK! watch the videos on youtube. They are much more valuable.)

I'm considering getting the bullet feed kit. Not for the speed, just because it's short money and I'm curious to see how it works.

I have one compliant about the design, but it applies to every press on the market:
-Why don't they turn the press 90 degrees relative to the table so you can watch all the operations without peering around the front support? It would make much more sense...

I had the bullet feeder for my 1000. It cause more problems then it solves. Once the plastic arms get bent or nicked, then the bullets won't stay in the arms. Also loading the bullets into the feeder makes the loading time the same if not slower

I had the bullet feeder for my 1000. It cause more problems then it solves. Once the plastic arms get bent or nicked, then the bullets won't stay in the arms. Also loading the bullets into the feeder makes the loading time the same if not slower

Yeah, I wondered about that... There's no easy loading like with the casings.

I tried the bullet feeder on my 45ACP press. It didn't work, but I figured out that the bullets that I was trying to use, were a bit too long. The bullet would hit the bottom of the bullet seating die, and turn sideways. Even though it didn't work with that press, I am tempted to try it on my 40S&W press. Though it didn't work for me, I have known others who have used it with great success!

The bullet feeder is more trouble than it seems it's worth. I can't find a single video on setup for it, and I have yet to figure out how to get it to run smoothly. I love the loadmaster, though. You have to remember to screw the shell-plate nut down tight, or it'll work it's way loose. They really should have used a reverse thread on it.

Just to revive the thread, I just purchased a Loadmaster a few weeks ago and have it up and running loading all the free Brass I got when I cleaned up the range at the pumpkin shoot. have about 200 rounds loaded in the few moments The new dog doesn't demand my time, (before work etc..) and I must say I am very happy with it. I went with the loadmaster so I could do rifle, (.223 and .308) and Other than a minor glitch with the primer feed it has been a good tool. I loosened up the nuts on the link and the press smoothed out a lot. with the .223 I hold my finger over the top of the powder charged case before I stroke the lever all the way down or I spill a little powder sometimes. (mixed cases and using Varget) I have the case feeder and like it ,But you have to be very smooth or the case will fall over.

All in all very happy and it was less than 250.00 from a local shop, (with some extra parts, he was close to midway and I hadn't bothered to send in a copy of my C&R for the discount yet.)

I had to call Lee for a few things and the ladies who answered the phone where very helpfull.
(but still didn't give me quite all the info I wanted, like ALL the parts to convert to pistol cal use.)
But I got that squared away.

I also suggested they write a better manual for it. for the price of conversion I am sorely temped to just buy a 1000 in pistol and be done with it.

Last edited:
Glenn,
The price of the 1000 is precisely why I have one for 40S&W, and one for 45ACP. I love mine, they work just fine.

How can you beat a Progreesive press that works for $132.00 fo rthe bare press?

I have a Dillon 550B and a Lee 4 hole Turret. May upgrade the Turret to the Loadmaster one day

Does the priming system come with the bare press? I don't see it separately on MidWay

The $132 is for the Lee 1000 progressive with dies and everything but the auto bullet indexer. (this includes the primer feed and powder dispenser,)
the base 1000 is like $65.00 and it has nothing but the base press.

My Lee loadmaster with dies for 223 and no auto case feeder is $215 plus shipping from midway.
the auto feed for the cases was $18.00 I think. (well worth it)

I went with the Loadmaster over the 1k so I could load .308 on it also. the 1000 goes up to .223 . for pistol I will most likly buy a 1000 in the caliber ready to go. I allready have the parts for the .308 coming. (Had the Lee die set allready and just had to get the larger primer feed and base plate. I also bought a spare turret so I can just pull it with the .223 dies and will not have to reset them when I swap. (it was in the $20.00 range.)

Priming system is at this link- (for the 1000) http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=514327&t=22164010
Large primer conversion, for the 1k they sell the small as part of the baseplate I guess.

the Primer set is avalible seperate for the Loadmaster also. (I have the large one on order.

on finding things on Midways site, I have found that if I go to Lee's site first and get the PN it helps a lot.

the
How can you beat a Progreesive press that works for $132.00 fo rthe bare press?

I have a Dillon 550B and a Lee 4 hole Turret. May upgrade the Turret to the Loadmaster one day

Does the priming system come with the bare press? I don't see it separately on MidWay

The $132 is for the Lee 1000 progressive with dies and everything but the auto bullet indexer. (this includes the primer feed and powder dispenser,)
the base 1000 is like $65.00 and it has nothing but the base press.

You can also buy the Loadmaster press bare for $132.00 from Midway

but looks like the caliber specific kit is a better deal, i have the die and pro powder measure, but could sell the extra ones on ebay i guess

I just watched the Loadmaster setup videos on YouTube, very good video.

but do you really haver to prime in station 2? if so so much for using one station for a powder check die. As i use a separate factory crimp die

the more i look at the Loadmaster the more i don't like the priming system on the upstroke. Other than that i like what i see.

But i would love to see one in person and try it

I am thinking the Hornady LnL would be better, but it's more money i know.

the more i look at the Loadmaster the more i don't like the priming system on the upstroke. Other than that i like what i see.

But i would love to see one in person and try it

I am thinking the Hornady LnL would be better, but it's more money i know.

Yes, station 2 is the only prime station. You prime on the downstroke with the Loadmaster. The upstroke is only for the resets and shell plate moves.

Yes, station 2 is the only prime station. You prime on the downstroke with the Loadmaster. The upstroke is only for the resets and shell plate moves.

Actally on my LOADMASTER (may be different on the 1000) you prime on the upstroke and downstroke is for the reset and shell plate move. when the plate moves the shell trips the arm for the primer to move it into position and then primes on the upstroke.

I don't find it to be an issue, I was a little worried about it at first but as long as the cases are prepped right it is easy as pie.

as for the powder sensor can't help you there I use the MK 1 eyeball.

I am in the western mass /northampton area if you want to check it out, or maybe someone out east could help you if you are in that area.

got a picture of the MK 1 eyeball? Never heard of it, how does it work?

It is the visual interface system for the brain. Pretty handy all in all. (grin)

I just have a desk lamp set up on the side of the press and look into the filled case. Good thing too as some of the mixed cases I got at the last shoot (DNL south african for example ) have NO where the same case capacity as the rest of the brass. as in a load (26.5 gr of varget) will overfill the case whle a LC or Rem case is only filled to the bottom of the neck. (and I check the charge with the scale too, it was the same it was throwing for the rest of them. )

Actally on my LOADMASTER (may be different on the 1000) you prime on the upstroke and downstroke is for the reset and shell plate move. when the plate moves the shell trips the arm for the primer to move it into position and then primes on the upstroke.

I don't find it to be an issue, I was a little worried about it at first but as long as the cases are prepped right it is easy as pie.

as for the powder sensor can't help you there I use the MK 1 eyeball.

I am in the western mass /northampton area if you want to check it out, or maybe someone out east could help you if you are in that area.

I'm thinking handle downstroke, so we're off a bit. Yes, the loadmaster primes on the RAM upstroke.

Back
Top Bottom