leather holster care

I found a gem today at AAA Supply in Dedham. I was going through the 'bargain' holster bin that houses a bunch of old, beat up holsters. The treasure was a Alessi IWB Talon GLOCK holster for the G19/23/32. It's in great shape and only has a few scuffs on it. My question is what is a good leather conditioner that won't harm my firearm? The leather does feel a little hard and it has a few small cracks here and there. I have a friend that says BreakFree will make the holster nice and soft. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I'm not a leather care expert. The brochure that came with my Galco recommends a leather lotion. It states to never use additional oils such as Neats Foot or Mink oil as they will soften the leather too much. For cleaning, they recommend Galco leather lotion or a hard bar glycerin soap. It states to let the leather dry naturally-do not use any type of artificial heat such as a hair dryer.
Best Regards.

I can't imagine that a light, occasional coat of Lexol Leather conditioner will do any harm to your holster. My guess is that saturating the holster with oil is what will will ruin it. It is a warning to us OCD type people who excessively clean and polish the finishes off our prized possessions.

My question is what is a good leather conditioner that won't harm my firearm? The leather does feel a little hard and it has a few small cracks here and there. I have a friend that says BreakFree will make the holster nice and soft. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Breakfree?!? Don't solicit this friend for any medical or legal advice. I'd even be real careful with his movie reviews.

Milt Sparks web site says:

Nothing much needs to be done other than an occasional waxing to maintain appearance. That applies to items with a smooth-out finish only! Rough out finishes such as our Summer Special and SS-2 should be left as is except for maybe an occasional wipe down with a damp cloth.

Do not use silicone, oil, or any leather conditioning product that advertises as an aid to help soften leather

Angelus has a product we use called Lustre Cream and it is available in both cordovan and black. Fiebings Carnauba wax is also a good protectorant for smooth leather, but will oxidize on the leather surface if not used or buffed occasionally.

One product we recomend wholeheartedly is Renaissance Wax. Renaissance can be purchased directly from http://www.restorationproduct.com/ or you can purchase it from us. It is the only product we have found that will not permanently discolor our tan colored finish and it works great on our black and cordovan finishes as well! You can even use it on metal and wood

Regards
John

care and feeding

i just bought a new Galco holster and basically they recommned
their brand of cleaner. NO neatsfoot or leather conditioners,
if you use these the leather will get soft and lose its shape.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom