lead shot $$$$$$$$

Due to the arm & a leg price of lead shot. I am thinking about steel shot for trap loads. Is there any special casings that are steel only? Can I convert my Mec 600 to load steel shot. What are the pros and cons of steel loads?

make sure you check with the club you are shooting at that they accept steel shot.

Don't you need hi-brass shells for steel shot? Don't know the answer but that is what I have been told.

Due to the arm & a leg price of lead shot. I am thinking about steel shot for trap loads. Is there any special casings that are steel only? Can I convert my Mec 600 to load steel shot. What are the pros and cons of steel loads?

The guy's I shoot with are paying $39 per 25lbs. They are buying through a wholesaler that our club buys shells from.

I have been buying shells for $52 - $55 per case (10 boxes), most of those same guys are telling me I'm better off buying my shells at that price.

PM me if you need more info.

FWIW - Bass Pro will be selling AA's and Remington STS shells for $6.47 / box during their up coming August Hunting sale, and if you don't mind 1 oz. loads the Remington Game loads will be closer to $5.40 per box.

Rake & Hoe

I was reading on another shooting web site that guys are raking the clay target ranges to recycle the shot.

This sounds like a lot of work so I have been thinking how the hell to do this.

How about making a drag rake to pull behind a garden tractor/ATV that has stainless steel tines like a Blueberry rake that would actually dig down into the dirt 3 to 4 inches and dethatch the grass at the same time?

Ill design it if you can build it.

The unit would need a Steel Frame with hopper. Wheels with gears and chain like a manure speader and a roller, tines made of stainless welding rod

Capt Walt

Last edited:
You can convert the 600 to do steel but you need to buy special parts. AA or remington hulls sts hulls should work fine just double check your powder makers recipes for steel. the real downside on steel is the type of gun you use, guys who shoot pizza guns and high end brownings don't use steel cause ti might mar the barrell on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom