Lead 9mm Ammo

My range had the same restrictions until three years ago when they dropped the lead ammo rules, and did some upgrading to the backstop. I still have a box of 50 rds of 9mm lead ammo, I bought at the Holbrook gun show a few years back. Never used the stuff since.

No way in hell the boolit melts upon firing. I can't imagine that happening in the millisecond heat is applied to the base. If you pick up a boolit from the snow after firing, it would look identical
to an unfired example under a microscope.

Google around a bit and you'll learn that isn't the the case.

The vaporization of lead from the base of unprotected bullets is the largest source of airborne lead exposure to shooters followed by the dust left in spent casings. There would be absolutely no reason to spend the extra money and resources to manufacture a TMJ bullet vs. a FMJ bullet if it weren't for eliminating the vaporized lead at indoor ranges.

I thought clubs with five rounds in the magazine restrictions were bad enough, but at least you can still shoot at those. Trying to find lead 9mm unless you are lucky enough to already have a reloading set-up is a PITA, so I'd rather go somewhere else.

And for what it's worth, if your club is crying poor right now, that's another reason to look elsewhere. They may be mismanaging their funds or worse. I know many of the clubs have literally maxed out their memberships in the last couple of years with the huge rise in shooting sports. Many have funds they don't know what to do with, so if they still have a crappy backstop that can't stop a 9mm FMJ, go to a few meetings and find out why.

MSI in Manchester, CT is lead only. The indoor range at my club is lead only. Both because of limited backstops. Academi in Salem, CT on the other hand allows everything up to and including 5.56 :)

Wow, all the way up to 5.56! That's awesome that they allow you to shoot such a big powerful round :)

Wow, all the way up to 5.56! That's awesome that they allow you to shoot such a big powerful round :)

Snicker. It's funny when you put it like that.
But, yes in my limited experience, it is pretty awesome for an indoor range.

One of the things I really like about the club I belong to is the outdoor ranges. So much more fun shooting both pistols and rifles outside than inside. With pistols you can do scenarios and games, with rifles you can do distance which lets you learn compensation/windage. With both you can get fresh air, much less echo, and much less elbow bumping.

My club'sindoor range is very limited. Pistols (and .22 rifles) only, no magnum, no .17, lead ammo only.

MSI is a nice club, I shoot there occasionally during public hours and enjoy it, nice people.
A little copy/paste from their website:
Everyone using the range during public shooting hours must have a valid Connecticut Pistol Permit.
No jacketed or magnum ammunition may be used at any time.
All posted Range Rules must be followed without exception and are strictly enforced by the Range Officer on duty.
Those wishing to shoot rifles may do so, but may use only .22s

The club I belong to in Gloucester has the same restrictions. The only stuff I've found in 9mm is Ultramax, which is reloaded ammo that Dicks carries every once in a while. It comes 250 or so to a box, so it'll last you a little bit. The problem is that they don't have it very frequently, so I just reload for the indoor range now.

Yup belong to the same range...wish they would spend some dough and up-grade the dungeon downstairs....not like we don't have a strong membership...

I am referring to CASC. I know that you can use plated bullets there, too. Not cheaper than lead stuff, unfortunately.

I wish that CASC could afford to upgrade the backstop at the indoor range, but I know that $$ is very tight for that club (as it is for many). It just makes things a little rough when you can't shoot jacketed ammo at the indoor range and the outdoor range still has feet of snow on the road leading to it.

I call BS on the cash being tight.....when was the last time they actually spent any real money...On that ****ing fence... some FUDD had to have...all an illusion...with better than 400+ members...problem is they never show up to meetings to voice there opinions...Time for change if you ask me......Of course we can fire at a reasonable rate indoors....[rofl] 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000...

Last edited:
Yup belong to the same range...wish they would spend some dough and up-grade the dungeon downstairs....not like we don't have a strong membership...
I agree. I just don't see it ever happening, though. The bullseye shooters seem to be the only ones who are catered to WRT the indoor range. This means that I am going to have to park in Egypt and hike through the snow today to try to shoot my new purchase. It's a little annoying.

Hey Guy,

This weekend I had an awful experience with Ultramax 250 bulk pack. I had FTE, FTF, and the round not going off. This was happening in every magazine. I put other loads in my firearm and it function flawlessly. I was firing a M&P9c.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom