LE trade-ins

Four seasons has had them. All gun stores get a local PD officer consignment, I got my Glock 19 from Wayne's weaponry.

i would like to find a springfield armory trade-in, to me that would be Holy Grail!!

Unfortunately a dealer wouldn't be able to transfer one to you if they got one in trade. Assuming you live in Mass., if you're in a free state that doesn't apply. SA's aren't hugely popular with LE though, that would be another hurdle to overcome.

Any particular reason you're looking for LE trade-ins? Basically they're just used guns that generally get traded in with a bunch of others that are similar. Nothing really that special about them IMO.

Typically I stay away from police trade-ins mainly because the price isn't low enough. Certain trade-ins (particularly Glocks) have a ton of finish wear and you never REALLY know how they were maintained. Granted a Glock is a Glock, and it will be fine, but they've never interested me.

I prefer to be the one doing the "wearing". If I could find a Sig in the ~400 range I'd bite, but from what I've seen that's not really realistic.

Unfortunately a dealer wouldn't be able to transfer one to you if they got one in trade. Assuming you live in Mass., if you're in a free state that doesn't apply. SA's aren't hugely popular with LE though, that would be another hurdle to overcome.

Any particular reason you're looking for LE trade-ins? Basically they're just used guns that generally get traded in with a bunch of others that are similar. Nothing really that special about them IMO.

I was under the impression that once the particular gun (SA in this example), was already registered "in state", then it could be transferred. Is this not the case? I know the only way to have a non-list gun in this state is if it was here prior to the new law (ie. grandfathered), or if someone moves into the state already legally owning it. In the last case, would they not be allowed to transfer it in state, if they decided to sell it?

As for the LE trade ins, I have to assume it's because in a lot of situations they have very low "mileage" on them because a lot of LEOs are not avid shooters so they only see qualification usage for the most part (and holster wear).

I was under the impression that once the particular gun (SA in this example), was already registered "in state", then it could be transferred. Is this not the case? I know the only way to have a non-list gun in this state is if it was here prior to the new law (ie. grandfathered), or if someone moves into the state already legally owning it. In the last case, would they not be allowed to transfer it in state, if they decided to sell it?

As for the LE trade ins, I have to assume it's because in a lot of situations they have very low "mileage" on them because a lot of LEOs are not avid shooters so they only see qualification usage for the most part (and holster wear).

Your assumptions are wrong. It would pay to read and review the stickies in the MA Gun Law sub-forum for lots of good info.

ANY (non-AWB) handgun can be privately transfered between two LTC holders that are MA Residents. A PD can gift any handgun to a retiring officer . . . they can also sell them to any officer (but most PDs are reluctant to do that anymore).

Dealers can not transfer any handgun legally in MA unless it is on the EOPS List (and meets the AG Regs) or grandfathered (in-state pre 10/21/1998 for EOPS List and made pre-1998 for AG Regs) . . . but FTF transfers by and to MA LTC-holders that live in MA are perfectly OK.

LE trade-ins are very iffy.

- Glock frequently refurbs them, in which case they are like new for a discounted price. Good deal.
- Sig will NOT refurb them and thus can be an iffy deal. I inquired as my PD turned in Sigs to buy M&Ps and the department armorer (and long-time friend) told me that they were beat to crap. I took a pass, not worth the hassle and the PD got ~$250/gun (Sig 229/239s) in trade-in value.
- LE guns get wet, snowed upon, not cleaned more than 1x/year in most cases, road-rash, etc. Most only get shot 1x/year, but the abuse more than makes up for lack of rounds thru it.

Zero Hour Arms in Easton had a number of Smith 5906's for about $375.00. They also have a number of Glocks in .40 (I believe). Not sure on the price of the Glocks.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom