"Law Of Self Defense" - Did Trump Just Urge We Shoot All the Looters?

Reptile

NES Member
Andrew Branca:

Several folks have frantically sent me a video clip of President Donald #Trump giving a speech in which it is said that he advocates that #looters be summarily shot.

In fact, the video clip is more nuanced than that summary suggests, but I thought it interesting to enough to warrant an unplanned Law of Self Defense Show.

Join me LIVE to discuss what President Trump ACTUALLY said, and to understand what looting actually is, and under what circumstances would shooting be warranted.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oawVND9ao

Andrew Branca:

Several folks have frantically sent me a video clip of President Donald #Trump giving a speech in which it is said that he advocates that #looters be summarily shot.

In fact, the video clip is more nuanced than that summary suggests, but I thought it interesting to enough to warrant an unplanned Law of Self Defense Show.

Join me LIVE to discuss what President Trump ACTUALLY said, and to understand what looting actually is, and under what circumstances would shooting be warranted.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oawVND9ao

Use your shotgun Joe told you to get!
Then we are covered!

I think theft is an under rated crime. I should absolutely be able to shoot someone to stop them from stealing my property.

For instance, I used to shingle roofs for about $600 a week. Long time ago, but I spent about 40 hours a week breaking my back in the blazing hot sun for $600. That week of my life is never coming back. I would pay more than $600 to be in my 20’s for a week again.

Someone stealing hours of your life is violence as far as I’m concerned.

For those of you who don't want to sift through the video, what Trump said was, "If you rob a store, you can fully expect to be shot as you are leaving that store. Shot."

It's hardly a new position for him. In May of 2020 he tweeted:

“These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!”

Is shooting robbers or looters legal? If not, can I suggest we change the law?

Using deadly force in defense of property is illegal in most states. The only exception I know of is Texas:

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

You are absolutely free to make such a suggestion. In Massachusetts, you can even file such a bill yourself:

Atty. Branca’s coverage of the topic was very good, I watched it live. He breaks down looting versus burglary versus larceny, and provides good context.

Summary:

Most states value the life of the perpetrator over the value of property. However, if use of deadly force is involved, self-defense or defense of others comes into to play, but not in defense of property.

For those of you who don't want to sift through the video, what Trump said was, "If you rob a store, you can fully expect to be shot as you are leaving that store. Shot."

It's hardly a new position for him. In May of 2020 he tweeted:

“These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!”
What did Trump mean by "dishonoring the memory of George Flyod?"

Back
Top Bottom