Last match of the year

PatMcD

NES Member
This Sunday, Scarborough will hold it's last XTC match of the year (RMC) if anybody would like to get in one more before putting the stick away.

They still have that dumb blue sky rule?

For you? Yes.

Boo. Unfortunately I probably won't make it up for this one, though I would like to get one more match in. It's always a good time up there, I just wish they'd rethink that dumb rule.

yea, its unfortunate...but i'll likely be skipping scarborough next year for that. ive worked rather hard at this over the years to develop a routine that works for me, and that messes with me big time (im 6'4'', its nearly impossible to mount the rifle offhand WITHOUT going blue sky)....especially where the same rule ISNT enforced in any other position (lets face it, ive had bolts slam forward when smashing a mag in on the reload for rapid fire strings...which is a FAR more "dangerous" scenario than safety on / finger off trigger than elevating the muzzle slightly in offhand. its otherwise a 2 hour drive and $100 for a hotel to completely change my game....takes all the fun out of it for me.

I'll be @ Hampden for sure though. we have a ton of fun up there

Adapt and overcome.
I just look at it as "Match conditions": it's the same for everybody. If Reading had a dumb rule like you had to use an open-legged sitting position, it wouldn't stop me from going. If Nashua told everybody they had to shoot prone left-handed, I'd still go down there too.

For the record, I've tried to get that rule amended to be like Nashua's (rifle horizontal or down when dropping bolt, then proceed as normal), but as of now, they aren't going for it. I'll keep trying, but in the meantime, it's simply a match condition we have to deal with.

I won't be able to make it. Trust me, I'd much rather be there than where I have to be tomorrow. Even with the silly rule. [grin]

Say hi to the guys for me.

Adapt and overcome.
I just look at it as "Match conditions": it's the same for everybody. If Reading had a dumb rule like you had to use an open-legged sitting position, it wouldn't stop me from going. If Nashua told everybody they had to shoot prone left-handed, I'd still go down there too.

For the record, I've tried to get that rule amended to be like Nashua's
(rifle horizontal or down when dropping bolt, then proceed as normal),
but as of now, they aren't going for it. I'll keep trying, but in the meantime, it's simply a match condition we have to deal with.

Very well put Pat that no matter the rule or how silly we/me/anyone may think the rule is the rules are range conditions that we all will endure as the match conditions equally.

I have had the unpleasant experience of having a competitor loudly try to argue our muzzle down rule at NFGA when closing the bolt while he was a shooter and I was calling the line. Running the line is stressful enough and I certainly didn't need that conversation at that time. He complied so I didn't have to eject him and even apologized to me after the match so all was well.

I want to make one minor clarification on the Nashua rule in your post.
After the bolt is closed with the muzzle down at NFGA the muzzle may be elevated BUT the finger must remain outside the trigger guard until the muzzle is horizontal or lower again.

If at anytime a loaded rifle is pointed higher than horizontal and the finger is on the trigger the shooter will be called on it.

I would have loved to make it up today but unfortunately can't.
I hope you shoot well and have a good turnout.

George

Smallish turnout of 15 shooters.
Tough day to shoot a good score. Gusty winds all day up to 15-20mph and pretty cold. If you weren't fighting the wind you were shivering.

I think the rule is lame for experienced shooters but with the toolbags I had on my end of the range today, I can see why they have the rule.

Back
Top Bottom