Last Man Standing...

Allow me to illuminate this cryptic post:

WASHINGTON (Dec. 3) -- Frank Buckles, the only surviving U.S. veteran of World War I, was wheeled into a Capitol Hill hearing room Thursday to urge senators to sanction a memorial to his long-gone comrades on the National Mall.

When the politicians were done posing for pictures and testifying to his patriotism, the room went quiet as they waited for the 108-year-old former doughboy to speak.

"What am I supposed to say?" Buckles softly murmured.

It's an interesting story.

I didn't like a lot of the RINO tendencies of W, but the man had class like few others when it comes to having respect for those who served.

Before Buckles stopped giving interviews, the media flocked to his farm to be regaled with war stories. Buckles, who joined the Army when he was just 16, has been honored at the White House and the Pentagon. He was granted special permission by President George W. Bush to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery not far from his old commander, Gen. John Pershing.

It's sad that I'll never shake the hand of a WWI vet. I treasure the time I have to listen to our WWII and Korean vets while they're still here. I recently met and conversed with a gentleman who served on an aircraft carrier in WWII... He saw combat, of course, and came out okay. Returned home after his time was up (at the age of ALMOST 21... do the math there [wink]) and had to get special permission from his parents in order to marry his fiance, being several days (literally) shy of his 21st birthday on the day of the wedding. He says he was amazed by the whole thing.

"They looked the other way when I enlisted at sixteen.. But to marry my sweetheart after having all those Jap planes diving at us? I needed a note from my parents!"

The man tells me he enlisted partly because his grandfather was a Civil War veteran, and would have been proud.

It is sad we are losing so many veterans. It is one of the reasons hubby and I love going to military vehicle events with our Willy's jeep.
When they find out we are both veterans we get some amazing stories. you can also see a light bulb go off when they approach our vehicle also.
I also took care of a WWII glider pilot for a bit until he went into the VA hospital.
I am in awe of these guys and what they did.

I was privileged to spend a lot of time with my grandfather as a little kid. He saw a lot of combat during WWI, was wounded and gassed. It was only a few years ago talking with my mother that I discovered that I was the only person with whom he ever shared his experiences during the war. His letters to my grandmother never contained any details and he never said anything to her or my mother (his only child). Basically, I'd heard it all by the time I was old enough to start school.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom