Kydex Light-Bearing Holster Retention

Looking for a new IWB/AIWB kydex holster for my G17/APL combo. Trouble is, the last two I got had retention issues, being too tight or too loose.... Seems like the retention is based on the friction on the whole gun/light, rather than trigger guard engagement (like a non-light bearing holster)..... Basically looking for that nice "click" when re-holstering, without feeling like I'm shoe horn'ing it back into the holster.

Is this just the nature of the beast with custom light bearing kydex holsters, or do different pistol lights or manufacturers offer better engagement points?

Any experience and recommendations welcome... Thx!

From what I understand all light bearing holsters are made so that the light is the primary source of retention. Just so happens that I see a Raven Concealment light bearing holster I ordered about three weeks ago is going to be delivered today!
I've heard good reviews of both Raven and Bravo holsters and I choose the more expensive Raven because the only complaint I read is about the price and not about the fit and quality.
Cant wait for usps to deliver later today.....

Last edited:
Looking for a new IWB/AIWB kydex holster for my G17/APL combo. Trouble is, the last two I got had retention issues, being too tight or too loose.... Seems like the retention is based on the friction on the whole gun/light, rather than trigger guard engagement (like a non-light bearing holster)..... Basically looking for that nice "click" when re-holstering, without feeling like I'm shoe horn'ing it back into the holster.

Is this just the nature of the beast with custom light bearing kydex holsters, or do different pistol lights or manufacturers offer better engagement points?

Any experience and recommendations welcome... Thx!

I've got a local guy who made me an IWB for my XDm .45 4.5" with TLR-4 and it came out great. Retention is somewhat a function of the belt holding things in place as well, but this one works well even if the belt isn't cinched down tight.

www.jtscustomkydex.com

Usually pretty quick turn around, and quality stuff made by a solid guy. He also just finished an RTI mount holster for my XDm 9mm, and it's a great piece, hopefully get to run it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom