Knife laws Massachusetts

Does anyone know if there are laws in Massachusetts regarding possession of knives ? Can you keep a hunting knife in your car ?

There have been many discussions, including this one:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37516-MA-Knife-Carry-Law

IANAL, but your question is not specific enough.....If you're going hunting, or camping or whatever and it's in the car, I can see no reason for it to be a problem. If you have the exposed blade stuck in a crack in the dashboard for quick access at a red light....it's possible that John Law might have a bit of a problem, though there might not be any "real" gounds - witness the guy in Manchester-by-the-Sea - a slew of charges, then nothing stuck.

The knife laws are just as confusing as the gun laws....

Some towns have their own stupid "rules" too:
Don't be caught carrying any type of knife with a blade over 2.5" long in the following towns:

Boston
Cambridge
Revere
Beverly
Lynn
Salem
Lawrence
Worcester
Lowell too I think

IIRC Worcester says that if you have an LTC you don't have to comply with that statute.

Don't be caught carrying any type of knife with a blade over 2.5" long in the following towns:

Boston
Cambridge
Revere
Beverly
Lynn
Salem
Lawrence
Worcester
Lowell too I think

IIRC Worcester says that if you have an LTC you don't have to comply with that statute.
In other words, if you are in an area where you could possibly need one for self defense, its against the law.

Last edited:
What if I leave a fixed blade knife in my car and stay out of Boston or any of the towns/cities listed above?

I thought in Boston and Worcester it's like 2.75".

Further, None of these knife ordinances are actual crimes, IIRC. They probably just fine you and steal your knife from you.

-Mike

I really can't see a cop bothering a grown man minding his own buisness. Unless you have it clipped in your pocket with the cold steel logo displayed, how would they know you had one anyway? This is one of those laws that only apply to gangbangers or general scumbags IMO.

Last edited:
So I've dug through the MGL and if I'm correct...

It is illegal to make or sell cane swords.

It is not illegal to own cane swords.

If you're in a city which does not have a ban on blades of 2.5 inches, the cane isn't spring loaded, and it only has 1 cutting edge.

Is that legal to carry?

I really can't see a cop bothering a grown man minding his own buisness. Unless you have it clipped in your pocket with the cold steel logo displayed, how would they know you had one anyway? This is one of those laws that only apply to gangbangers or general scumbags IMO.
Most of the knife, IIRC, is written as a "possession during an arrest for X,Y,Z" where "X,Y,Z" includes "disturbing the peace"...

So, yes, for the most part that is how the law is abused, er, used, but keep in mind if you find yourself on your own porch trying to push the swollen door open in Cambridge - you might become one of "those people"... [wink]

It is very dangerous to ignore bad laws on the "they only enforce those against the bad guys" basis... One wrong step and you are now a bad guy to the arresting officer regardless of your intentions...

The cane sword is not legal for carry, as a sword is specifically prohibited. You can OWN one, just like you can OWN a dagger, sword, dirk, etc., but you may not carry it.

A buddy's father was almost hit by a car in a crosswalk, and in a fit of old-man pique, he threw the item in his pocket at the car. It happened to be a penknife, blade 2 inches or less. He was prosecuted for assault with a dangerous weapon. Since he was 70-ish, there was no jail time, but even with legal blades, if you have any sort of trouble, it's likely to be thrown into the mix....

YMMV, just be sensible.

Boston
Cambridge
Revere
Beverly
Lynn
Salem
Lawrence
Worcester
Lowell too I think

As a resident of one of the fine North Shore towns mentioned above, I am currently in compliance with the knife statute as I carry a Leatherman Juice S2. I used to carry something a bit larger, but realized that I should swap it for the multi-tool features that better suits my needs.

In other words, if you are in an area where you could possibly need one for self defense, its against the law.
If I ever find myself in a situation where I may need it for something other than its intended uses, I also carry something else that is much more relevant to this website's theme. [smile]

3.5inch S&W HRT Auto Knife, bought up in Salem, NH at the Army Barracks, just showed them my ticket n they gave it to me, you can also buy batons and other "fun stuff" up there with certain credentials...i always carry it.....i know firefighters that care rescue knives over 3 inches and they get introuble, if its needed for the job they should allow it, even off the job those who know how to use it should be allowed to.

I thought in Boston and Worcester it's like 2.75".

Further, None of these knife ordinances are actual crimes, IIRC. They probably just fine you and steal your knife from you.

-Mike
THey* actually do. I was in a auto total and had to go to the Hosp, the BPD girls took my 65buck pocket knife. I never got it back. GRrrrrrrr

Back
Top Bottom