Kentucky police officer shot himself while driving

LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Indiana State Police said a Kentucky police officer accidentally shot himself while driving on Interstate 65 near Lafayette over the weekend. State police said the shooting of Sullivan McCurdy, 41, of Radcliff, Ky., appeared to be accidental. Police said McCurdy was attempting to unload his pistol while driving south on I-65 near Lafayette when the gun discharged once, striking him in the leg. His wife was in the car with him. State police said McCurdy was taken by ambulance to St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Lafayette, where he was listed in satisfactory condition Monday morning. McCurdy is a 10-year veteran police officer.

The post just begs the question, why was he attempting to DRIVE and UNLOAD his pistol at the same time? Was there some sort of unloading emergency that he had to do it right then? Wouldn't it have been better to to just wait for a suitable time?

B

LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Indiana State Police said a Kentucky police officer accidentally shot himself while driving on Interstate 65 near Lafayette over the weekend. State police said the shooting of Sullivan McCurdy, 41, of Radcliff, Ky., appeared to be accidental. Police said McCurdy was attempting to unload his pistol while driving south on I-65 near Lafayette when the gun discharged once, striking him in the leg. His wife was in the car with him. She reported that his last words were, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

State police said McCurdy was taken by ambulance to St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Lafayette, where he was listed in satisfactory condition Monday morning. McCurdy is a 10-year veteran police officer.

There, that's better.

The post just begs the question, why was he attempting to DRIVE and UNLOAD his pistol at the same time? Was there some sort of unloading emergency that he had to do it right then? Wouldn't it have been better to to just wait for a suitable time?

I smell the distinctly ripe odor of a cover-up. I'm guessing this was really a domestic and the gun went off in a struggle.[frown]

Back
Top Bottom