K-98 Pics Added

I got a christmas present from my kid two years ago we ordered a german 98k
that was suppose to have all the markings ground off but they left some eagles on it. At the time Century arms was getting $119 for these. I got a nice rifle too. They are a lot higher now.

I seen one at a gun show that had an awesome wood stock on it, it was in excellent condition plus for $350. Stupid me i passed on and it had all the markings too.

I picked up one of the winter trigger guard ones from Samco a while back and paid extra for some markings left. Amazing what people will get for Nazi markings. The rifle I got was really nice and after some cleaning the stock and coats of tung oil looks like the one they had pictured in the adds for them. Those laminated stocks clean up really nice with Purple Power and tung oil was the correct finish.

K-98

If you want to see a piece of junk! for an absolute CRAZY Price, $1.395.00
go to the Kittery Trading Post and look at the K-98 that says (" SS marked")
its behind the counter where the AR-15s and 03sprgs-Garands etc: are
its got 10percent finnish left,the front of the action is Sgrubed, a couple
re-arsnal repair Eagles, a couple of numbers on the safty-block that dont seem to show up on anywhere else on the gun and a 3 1/2 inch verry
visible crack at the tang that runs the full length of the wrist! i didnt see
an SS on it so it must be in code? i was told Dave M took it in himself
if Kim Adams see,s this one Dave will have the Buttplate hanging out of his BUTT!! JonJ good luck on the one you orderd i know its going to be a beauty!! I would buy the one at the KTP but i dont need a LAMP that bad
Take Care S/D.

I had wanted a K-98 for a while now, a G-43 would have been better but too much $$$. I hesitated and missed out when everyone had them. I saw a flier and they had them listed and was going to order one. When I called I found had they had "a small qty" of unmolested marked rifles, so I bit down paid the extra and ordered one. I was so happy that they had them, I forgot to ask if it was an RC or not. Dummy.

My prized K-98 is a rather expensive one with the bnz single rune marking made by Steyr in 1943 and assembled at the Mauthausen concentration camp under supervision of the SS guards. It is a Russian rework (meaning non-matching S/Ns) in excellent condition. Bought it 3 years ago.

K-98

OK you guys, now i got an itch, (a real K-98) iv got a yugo 48 and a 24/47,
i have a British #4MK1 i orderd Monday along with a Russian Mod44 that i
also orderd the same Day,Now im thinking i got to get me one of these,!
"NOW where is the next GUN-ANON Meeting being Held"??

O.M.God I think my High er Power is named John M Browning!

Did the sheriff say that? YUP Heeeeeeeeeeelp.

S/D

LenS said:
My prized K-98 is a rather expensive one with the bnz single rune marking made by Steyr in 1943 and assembled at the Mauthausen concentration camp under supervision of the SS guards. It is a Russian rework (meaning non-matching S/Ns) in excellent condition. Bought it 3 years ago.
Sonds like a nice piece Len. Lots of history.
Did you pick it out or was it luck of the draw?

Jon,

Yes, I paid dearly for it. I did get to see a picture and description and the seller was known to me to be quite reputable.

Offline . . . for any further details.

LenS said:
It came today and it looks like I may have scored a bit. Typical Russian capture/refurb. Mismatched, Russian black paint, old style stock (1939). Hardly any marks BUT it's a BNZ 44 and has a single Rune on the bottom of the barrel. Pics to follow when I get some time.

Here's some pics...
k98-2.jpg

k98-3.jpg

Here's the Rune under the barrel. It pretty much confirms that this was an SS contract rifle that was assembled at the KZ Mauthausen-GUSEN Concentration Camp in Austria.
k98rune.jpg

Soxfan9 said:
Looks like a good score. If only it could talk...
No kidding, huh? Even though it's a Russian Capture and it's mismatched, it freaks me out a little when I think about who handled it.

I've got a Yugo rework that I never identified yet. Just cleaned it up and shoot it a few times. Everythings blued including the bolt like yours, but it looks like your Russian capture has that cool plum colored bolt release. I always liked that on a K98.[grin]
I've thought about buying the lock screws (capture screws some folks call them), and front sight hood, plus a repro sling, but have gotten around to it.

Little story for everyone: I remember a while ago at a gun show, maybe a Springfield one last year, I was walking down one of the aisles and saw a guy open a crate full of Russian capture K98s. People stood and waited for him to take a few out for display and then he left the rest sitting there in the aisle for everyone to handle. You'd have thought the secret to eternal life was in that box because people scrambled around and began digging through the rifles, checking numbers and markings. A few looked like they found something good because they clutched them and eagerly awaited the sellers attention.
Myself I had no idea what to look for as far as rarity, etc. and was a little sad that I hadn't done my homework and looked up more K98 info. I remember a web site that had Russian captures and listed each rifle by markings and date, they all were priced diferently according to rarity, and date. I'm pretty sure they're all gone now but lets just say Dennis K. knows his stuff.
One things for sure, I think i'm going to keep an eye out for a Russian capture and get one before they're all bought up and more $$$. One of those pieces of history that will go up in value, thats for sure.

Last edited:
The bolt stop "inlay" (for lack of a better term) actually looks copper colored. I thought that was pretty cool too.
When you put a Japanese Arisaka next to the K98, the actions are almost identical. The action of the 1903 is also very close. Mauser sued Springfield/US Govt over this and won.
I need a sling and hood too. Maybe Marlborough will yield something. I'll need a sling for the Enfield I just ordered too[wink]

Are there any markings on the stock? I have been looking at my RC and there are several faint ones. The Russians really did a good job mixing parts on these rifles up!

Yes, mine are faint too. It also has the serial number (faint) and an eagle on the front of the grip.
Ya they sure did mix them up.
Is anything matching on yours?

Ya know, I was this close :: I was on the phone and everything then a guy I know walked into my shop with a near cherry Swedish Mauser and almost 300 rounds of ammo. $300 and its mine, ammo and all. SOLD I told him, now the K98 goes on the back burner as I can tear a ragged hole with a Swede M96 at 100 yards.[smile]
Pending an FA10 and the cash probably next thursday, i'll post some shots.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
I can tear a ragged hole with a Swede M96 at 100 yards.[smile]
If your looking for another I traded one in at M&M in Plymouth. Very good condition w/bayonet (if it's still there). The M96 is an incredible piece of craftsmanship.

Back
Top Bottom