Just wondering about hand priming . . .

hand_priming_tool.jpg

I use a “Square Deal” press from Dillon and like it just fine. I was thinking that I could eliminate one small stage by hand priming the cases before running them through the press. I believe I would get a better fit and not have to worry about the priming system breaking down or going out of adjustment.

I have had very little trouble with the Dillon priming system but I like the “feel” of hand priming better than the feel you get using the press handle. (I know, don’t fix something that’s not broken) Perhaps I have missed something and you just can’t pre-prime your cases before using the press I just don’t know…I haven’t used the press in over a decade or more and I'm just getting back to it now.

The second question is, what is the best hand prime tool available, and why is it the best. Does one last longer than the others? I have some RCBS shell holders that I can use but can you use them with all hand priming tools or does each have to have their own?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Shell holders are interchangeable in the various company's presses so there should be no reason that a Lyman shell holder would not fit in an RCBS hand primer. Come to think of it some of my shell holders are Redding and fit in my RCBS priming tool.

Hand priming is the way to go. I like the RCBS because my hand doesn't fatigue like it does with other models that I've tried. There is a real nice one on the market (forgot the name but could look it up for you if you really want it). It has a micrometer attached to it so you can change seating depths. I think the pricer is around $400.00. I like to seat my primers 4 thousand deep instead of flush. I had a machinist grind down my rod (that doesn't sound good[thinking]) so that all of my primers sit 4 thou deep.
Mil-Dot

You can certainly hand prime if you wish, the only thing you will have to change is to remove the depriming pin from your sizing die, or else it will just eject the new primer.

Shell holders are interchangeable in the various company's presses so there should be no reason that a Lyman shell holder would not fit in an RCBS hand primer. Come to think of it some of my shell holders are Redding and fit in my RCBS priming tool.

highlander ~ Thanks for the info. It's nice to know I wont have to buy more shell holders.

Hand priming is the way to go. I like the RCBS because my hand doesn't fatigue like it does with other models that I've tried. There is a real nice one on the market (forgot the name but could look it up for you if you really want it). It has a micrometer attached to it so you can change seating depths. I think the pricer is around $400.00. I like to seat my primers 4 thousand deep instead of flush. I had a machinist grind down my rod (that doesn't sound good[thinking]) so that all of my primers sit 4 thou deep.
Mil-Dot

Mil-Dot ~ Thanks for your input. The $400 unit is way beyound what I need, and can afford. You seat your primers deeper than flush and I've read that many others are doing the same because, I've heard, the primer wont move deeper when the firing pin strikes (causing an occasional non-fire). I believe I'll be changing to a tad deeper primer than flush also.

You can certainly hand prime if you wish, the only thing you will have to change is to remove the depriming pin from your sizing die, or else it will just eject the new primer.

Thanks Adam_MA ~ I new there was something that may have to be changed on the Dillon before running with "preprimed" cases. I haven't set my Dillon up yet (still have a couple small items missing) but will remember to remove the decapping pin, for sure.

Make sure the primers are no deeper than 8 thousands or you may get misfires secondary to a weak spring or, in real cold weather, increased viscosity of some lubricants which can decrease the momentum of the firing pin.

With a progressive press (especially a Sq Deal) I can't see why you'd want to hand prime.

It's going to take you forever to load your rounds, and you're going to get no benefit.

You're going to have to remove the spent primers and size the cases, then take them off the press and prime them, then put them back on the press to fill, seat, and crimp?

You're not going to notice any difference in the way they shoot (it's handgun ammo) and if you're worried about "the priming system breaking down or going out of adjustment", don't.

If it ever does break, just send the press back to Dillon and they'll fix it for free.

As someone who reloads on a single stage, part of the attraction of me getting a Hornady LNL, 550, or something like that in the near future is it will take away they annoyance of manual priming, or at least reduce it. Compared to all the other process, non automated priming sucks.

Then again, I haven't used a hand primer before, but admittedly I have some pre-emptive bias against them because I think "carpal tunnel funhouse" whenever I see one, perhaps if what mil-dot is saying is right, that might be
a bit misguided/misplaced. [laugh]

-Mike

As someone who reloads on a single stage, part of the attraction of me getting a Hornady LNL, 550, or something like that in the near future is it will take away they annoyance of manual priming, or at least reduce it. Compared to all the other process, non automated priming sucks.

Then again, I haven't used a hand primer before, but admittedly I have some pre-emptive bias against them because I think "carpal tunnel funhouse" whenever I see one, perhaps if what mil-dot is saying is right, that might be

-Mike

My wife does my hand priming for me! No problems with CTS[wink]

wifearms.jpg

Last edited:

-Mike

I also load on a single stage press and I use a hand primer. Hand priming for me is the fastest part of the process. Takes me about 25 mins to prime 300 cases. Thats .45ACP with large primers, I haven't tried 9mm yet but I'll bet my results will suffer greatly.

That being said, if I had a progressive press I can't imagine why I would still hand prime my cases.

I hand prime all my rifle brass. I also uniform the primer pockets every time I reload, if for no other reason, to clean out the carbon. I have both the RCBS & Lee units & prefer the Lee. It does require use of their shell holders, but the kit is cheap.
The Dillon presses have an automatic seating stop which is very consistant.

Make sure the primers are no deeper than 8 thousands or you may get misfires secondary to a weak spring or, in real cold weather, increased viscosity of some lubricants which can decrease the momentum of the firing pin.

Will do, I still have a single stage press for rifle.

With a progressive press (especially a Sq Deal) I can't see why you'd want to hand prime.

It's going to take you forever to load your rounds, and you're going to get no benefit.

You're going to have to remove the spent primers and size the cases, then take them off the press and prime them, then put them back on the press to fill, seat, and crimp?

You're not going to notice any difference in the way they shoot (it's handgun ammo) and if you're worried about "the priming system breaking down or going out of adjustment", don't.

If it ever does break, just send the press back to Dillon and they'll fix it for free.

Thanks, you just enlightened me tenfold. I only had trouble one time with the priming system on my Dillon SD so you are so right. Why go through the hassle for no real improvement? I will be reloading 30-30 and .30-06 rifle cases with my single stage RCBS Rockchucker, perhaps I'll use a handprimer for those cases and store them in baggies till I start reloading on the Rockchucker. I can always do a few hundred at a whack while enjoying a ballgame on the tube. [grin]

-Mike

I hear ya.

why

If you have a square deal and its working just fine why would you want to
hand prime,,this does not add up..

Are you having a problem with the priming system on your machine???

I have several friends that have gone that route and would call you
a NUT case.

There's only one thing that might convince me you should hand prime.
if you only shoot about 50 rounds per month. Beyond that the press
is the way to go.

JimB

If you have a square deal and its working just fine why would you want to
hand prime,,this does not add up..

Are you having a problem with the priming system on your machine???

I have several friends that have gone that route and would call you
a NUT case.

There's only one thing that might convince me you should hand prime.
if you only shoot about 50 rounds per month. Beyond that the press
is the way to go.

JimB

Please read #12.

Last edited:
hand primers

If you use a hand primer, get the new RCBS unit. It has a universal shell holder on it. No individual holders to buy.[grin]

Thanks for the advise . . .

If you use a hand primer, get the new RCBS unit. It has a universal shell holder on it. No individual holders to buy.[grin]

319794.jpg

buffermop ~ I think your right, the new "RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool" is the way to go. Now, I’m going to shop around to see if I can get a good price on one. Midway’s price isn’t bad but if I can save some bucks I’ll do it. Cabela’s: at $42.99 is about the best price I've seen so I ordered one this morning.

I like the fact that the new RCBS model has the square primer tray to match up with he square trays the primers come in.

BTW, I do all my hand priming (rifle only) while sitting on the couch watching TV with a beer! It makes the process go MUCH more quickly!

If you're lucky, it'll just eject it.

I use the Lee hand primer and it works very well. I haven't started using my Dillon yet because I don't have primer pickup tubes (nor am I sure how to actually load primers into the thing quite yet) but if you wanted to hand prime, you'd simply need to remove the depriming pin, and would have to be careful on the downstroke.

If you're lucky, it'll just eject it.

Naaa you gotta make a real effort to get a primer to detonate from a decapping pin. Trust me, I ran some tests to see exactly how much force it would take, and with Winchester primers, anything short of throwing the press handle down just knocks the primer out.

Back
Top Bottom