• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just started reloading!

Rockchucker IV
RCBS Dies
Franford WetTumbler

Just started depriming and resizing brass last night wich I was really enjoying. There were spent primers going everywhere. Is this normal? Also was wondering where I can source reloading supplies such as primers,powder, and bullets. I live in mass and dont mind making the trip to get decent deals and I definately want to buy in bulk.
Thanks,
Jim

Welcome to the forum. Recommend you use a little ArmorAll and about half teaspoon of LemiShine (granular) Rinse them really well. They dry pretty well on a towel with a fan directed on them...I recently bought a brass dryer (well, food dehydrator) and they cook dry in less than an hour.
Far as the primer situation goes, there are a ton of complaints about that issue, might be some solutions found if u google. Again, welcome to the forum and...
Go green.
Mike

Not sure about RCBS, but my Hornady single stage needs the little primer seating arm to be in place under the shell holder, otherwise the primers won't make it into the cup reliably.

Rockchucker IV
Just started depriming and resizing brass last night wich I was really enjoying. There were spent primers going everywhere. Is this normal? ...
Thanks,
Jim

If you have the catch tray, simply take a piece of paper and make a wall to keep them in the tray; about half of an index card should suffice.

Does your Rockchucker have the black plastic spent primer "urinal" in place?
Yes it does it clips around and has trays on left and right. Not really a big deal just makes a mess. Did 1500 rounds last night and I would say half ended up on ground. Didnt matter if the tray was empty or not. Trying to head it off a little I positioned a small trash barrel benieth to catch the ones that droped right below. Just probing for the tricks others are using. I shop vacd the rest up. I am much interested in taking a class! Who do you recommend. Oh yah and crap I was green just ran out time to re-up.

ok, Jim Finerty's class just clicked on link from Eddie. What kind of stuff does the class cover in the basic metallic cartridge course? I have watched countless reloading tutorials and have multiple books I have read. Surely there is always more to learn as I am just getting started hands on. I would love however to take the rifle cartridge reloading class though.

Last edited:
Yes it does it clips around and has trays on left and right. Not really a big deal just makes a mess. Did 1500 rounds last night and I would say half ended up on ground. Didnt matter if the tray was empty or not. Trying to head it off a little I positioned a small trash barrel benieth to catch the ones that droped right below. Just probing for the tricks others are using. I shop vacd the rest up. I am much interested in taking a class! Who do you recommend. Oh yah and crap I was green just ran out time to re-up.

Sounds like the same issue I had. I preferred to hand prime so I took out the priming arm from under the shell holder. Figured what do I need it for. Like you, maybe half or more spent primers ended up on the floor so I positioned a bucket to catch them. Reinstalled the primer arm and now 99% end up in the cup with a stray every now and then.

Hmm.. I have yet to install the priming arm. I assumes it did nothing for de-priming. Thanks. Sounds like this is my problem.

I felt the same, didn't need it to prime so why use it. In hind sight, it sits at an angle in the channel of the ram. Spent primer is poked through the shell holder into the channel and hits the primer arm. Cuz it's at an angle, it directs it towards the cup.

Eta- fwiw, I have a Hornady not an rcbs, I'm assuming they're similar. The issue you're having is identical to what I had going on.

Last edited:
Sounds like the same issue I had. I preferred to hand prime so I took out the priming arm from under the shell holder. Figured what do I need it for. Like you, maybe half or more spent primers ended up on the floor so I positioned a bucket to catch them. Reinstalled the primer arm and now 99% end up in the cup with a stray every now and then.

On a Rockchucker, the priming arm has nothing to do with directing the spent primers (like on an L-N-L).

My guess is the OP just needs to slightly adjust the position of the spent primer catcher. A few might get away, but nowhere near half.

Also was wondering where I can source reloading supplies such as primers,powder, and bullets. I live in mass and dont mind making the trip to get decent deals and I definately want to buy in bulk.

I've bought from the following and would recommend:

Outback Arms - Plymton, MA
D&L - Warwick, RI
Shooters Outpost - Hooksett, NH

Rockchucker IV
RCBS Dies
Franford WetTumbler

Just started depriming and resizing brass last night wich I was really enjoying. There were spent primers going everywhere. Is this normal? Also was wondering where I can source reloading supplies such as primers,powder, and bullets. I live in mass and dont mind making the trip to get decent deals and I definately want to buy in bulk.
Thanks,
Jim

Where are you located? I know of a few great shops

When I can travel my stops used to be.
Riely's , shooters oupost, and Al's gun shop for NH
Glenn's reloading room and outback arms. Both have had decent inventory.
Heritage gun and coin in RI
It's been a while since I have been to any ofthese places so prices and inventory are ????

When I can travel my stops used to be.
Riely's , shooters oupost, and Al's gun shop for NH
Glenn's reloading room and outback arms. Both have had decent inventory.
Heritage gun and coin in RI
It's been a while since I have been to any ofthese places so prices and inventory are ????

Was at Rileys last week.
Pretty good inventory of powder, primers etc. Picked up 2 lbs of Alliant Power Pistol for 22.75 ea

Where are you in MA? Shooting Supply in Westport is great for reloading supplies. Inventory on ammo and guns is good too.

Make sure the primer catcher assembly is pushed all the way in. Strategically locate a wastebasket under. Custom cut toilet paper rolls to slip over the ram (dependent on length of cartridge). If carpeted or not Shop Vacs are the balls.

Make sure the primer catcher assembly is pushed all the way in. Strategically locate a wastebasket under. Custom cut toilet paper rolls to slip over the ram (dependent on length of cartridge). If carpeted or not Shop Vacs are the balls.

Think I got it now. I had the tray pushed back sitting flush with press rather than pulled forward almost touching the ram. Much better. Just wet tumbled 1500 round of 9mm. I like shiny things! Frankford platnum wet tumbler did a nice job. Looking into getting dehydrator for drying brass when done. Ronco around $40 and another brand same on Amazon. Now just have to go get some powder,primers,and bullets. Thanks all for the help.

Back
Top Bottom