• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just looking for some clarification

I am just looking for someone to tell me if any part of my following questions/statements is inaccurate. Also if parts are accurate please let me know. The following is only my understanding and I am just looking for someone who has a solid understanding of MA law.

So in MA I know there is the almighty list of handguns that are approved for sale in the Commonwealth. Then there is a second set of standards set forth by the Attorney General that the handguns must also meet before a dealer can sell/transfer to the customer. I'm also under the understanding that not all guns on the almighty list necessarily meet the AG standards thus are not able to be legally transferred/sold by a dealer here in MA even though they appear on the list. Example: a brand new Gen4 Glock would not be openly available to me if I walked into my local gun store because even though it is on "the list" certain things about a Gen4 Glock do not meet the AG standards. And if the gun store did transfer/sell one to me the dealer could get in trouble and me as the buyer could get in trouble. As far as I know the only exemptions to the almighty list are 1. you moved here from out of state with guns not on the list, thus making those guns LEGAL 2. the gun is not on the list but were registered in MA before 1998 thus making it legal 3. The gun is coming off a PD trade-in thus exempting it from the list and the AG standards 4. The buyer is an LEO and is buying the gun for official duty use.

I thank everyone in advance for reading this over and please point out any inaccuracies and anything that is accurate. I've had my LTC for a while but with MA law being the way it is, it's sometimes hard to keep everything straight in my head.

If the dealer sells you one, he is the only one that gets in trouble nothing falls on you.

It's all "consumer protection" BS and thus you as the buyer are being HARMED by the errant dealer letting you own one. For that reason alone, you are the VICTIM and can't be prosecuted (get in trouble) for being hoodwinked by the dealer. Does that help make the situation clearer?

No handguns in MA (other than so called "assault pistols" made after 9/13/1994) are "illegal" to possess.

PD trade-ins do not get a "pass" wrt the EOPS List/AG Regs. They can be grandfathered by virtue of date of mfr or having been in MA prior to the magic dates.

Back
Top Bottom