Just joined IDPA

I think it's a great class, but I'm biased -- I help out in the afternoon on the range.

John spends the morning introducing you to the basics of the IDPA rules. In the afternoon, you'll get a chance to run through three different stages. You'll get to shoot each stage twice. You'll get to see expert and master level shooters go through the stages as well, so you can see different ways to shoot the same stage.

Nice, thanks. I traded emails with John and will be sending in a registration check on Monday.

Is IDPA really as bad as people make it sound?

We all poke fun but I shoot with people that regularly compete, and enjoy, both sports. Give both a try and if you can't do both then see which one fits better and go with it. I trash talk about IDPA but I'll eventually go shoot a match or two just to try something different. with the kids and job and all I can only get authorization for a few matches a month at this time so it's all USPSA for me

It's better than somethings.

Try both.

Visit both websites.

Read both magazines.

Read both rule books.

Consider the annual dues and match fees are the same in both sports and the entry costs are similar in Production, Single Stack (& L10 w/10 rd mags) and Revolver Divisions.

Decide where spending your limited time and resources will net you the most value.

Then join USPSA.

Last edited:

Any action shooting is better than just punching a single target on a static range. I happily shot IDPA for years. Then I started shooting USPSA and liked it much better. IDPA is designed around what a small group of people believe tests defensive shooting skills. USPSA is designed around testing the ability to shoot quickly and accurately. If you want to practice and get some friendly competition either game is fine. If you want to take the competitive side seriously, IDPA will frustrate you.

It's probably better than something.

Try both.

Visit both websites.

Read both magazines.

Read both rule books.

Consider the annual dues and match fees are the same in both sports and the entry costs are similar in Production, Single Stack (& L10 w/10 rd mags) and Revolver Divisions.

Decide where spending your limited time and resources will net you the most value.

Then join USPSA.

Does this mean you are not renewing your IDPA membership?

I was in squad 3. The one with the goofy camera strapped to my hat. If you go to next month's match, either Harvard or Worcester, make sure you grab me and say hi!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Will do. I was wearing my Whalers. I'll try to look for you next month.

I am glad you had a good time as I was the SO for squad 1. That match was pretty typical for an IDPA match except for we had to eliminate a stage due to the snow and also had to reduce movement for the same reason. You need to understand and follow the rules in this sport like any other but after all they are games and games have rules.
IDPA is my favorite shooting sport but I also participate in others and as was said before they are all fun but different. I hope to see you in Worcester again and I am glad you had a good experience. I had a blast as well.

Oh... also.. you always find the haters trolling in the IDPA threads.... Nothing better to do?? Funny thing is at least Supermoto doesn't shoot IDPA... GLshooter and Buckland still do. Hmmm Why would they go the Nats??? [smile]

Oh... also.. you always find the haters trolling in the IDPA threads.... Nothing better to do?? Funny thing is at least Supermoto doesn't shoot IDPA... GLshooter and Buckland still do. Hmmm Why would they go the Nats??? [smile]

Because I get to shoot against the famous TOF.

Don't forget to sign UNDER THE PAINS AND PENALTIES OF PERJURY:

• I will refrain from disparagement or inappropriate criticism of IDPA or other shooting sports, their officials, and rules of match competition.
  • I will always be a champion for IDPA and promote IDPA in the best light possible.
[devil2]

indoor natl'..... chk 2 days off from work... chk practice not just dropin mags to the floor because retention is needed =/ almost chk

sqd 14 on thursday.. cant wait =)

Mike, I just saw that last night. I am signed up for the indoor nationals. I have to say that this thought police crap is ticking me off. I haven't decided what to do. I could go, sign it, and just ignore it. I could go, strike out the offending lines on the form, sign it, turn it in, and see what happens. Or I could tell them I'm not attending because of that, but that would probably please them because they apparently want to drive out anyone who won't drink the koolaid. I'm really conflicted about this.

Mike, I just saw that last night. I am signed up for the indoor nationals. I have to say that this thought police crap is ticking me off. I haven't decided what to do. I could go, sign it, and just ignore it. I could go, strike out the offending lines on the form, sign it, turn it in, and see what happens. Or I could tell them I'm not attending because of that, but that would probably please them because they apparently want to drive out anyone who won't drink the koolaid. I'm really conflicted about this.

I'd not attend and demand a refund. These insane conditions weren't disclosed when you signed up and paid, so they owe you your money back.

It's total BS. I really wish that some of the local clubs would say FU to the IDPA organization and go outlaw. Maybe the IDPA organization would get the message, or maybe it could be the beginning of a new game. There are enough good things that differentiate IDPA from the other options. Keep those and get rid of the BS.

Back
Top Bottom