Just joined IDPA

It's total BS. I really wish that some of the local clubs would say FU to the IDPA organization and go outlaw. Maybe the IDPA organization would get the message, or maybe it could be the beginning of a new game. There are enough good things that differentiate IDPA from the other options. Keep those and get rid of the BS.

Ok, ok. This time I won't come to defend IDPA. At first I thought this was some kind of legal/corporate crap- now I just realize it's stupid. WTF.

So if I call Craig Buckland or Dolio an ass... I could get kicked out? Damn- you know that's going to happen. :)

Ok, ok. This time I won't come to defend IDPA. At first I thought this was some kind of legal/corporate crap- now I just realize it's stupid. WTF.

So if I call Craig Buckland or Dolio an ass... I could get kicked out? Damn- you know that's going to happen. :)

What's with the infatuation with my ass?

After much thought, I will not be attending the S&W Indoor Nationals. I simply won't sign that Code of Conduct -- I consider it to be offensive.

I'm also wanting to get started this year in IDPA. I'm in MA, not far from a team in Harvard, and they will be hosting an "Intro" class 4/5, but I'm not able to attend their practice nights or the class.

Not really sure how to get started; any tips would be appreciated.

I'm also wanting to get started this year in IDPA. I'm in MA, not far from a team in Harvard, and they will be hosting an "Intro" class 4/5, but I'm not able to attend their practice nights or the class.

If you can't make the MWT intro class or practice GOAL runs an intro to IDPA course. Worcester also runs an IDPA practice on Sunday the week before their monthly match. If you can't make any of those you can always attend a local match to watch (bring eyes & ears). Let them know you are interested in and ask lots of questions.

Just remember we were all new at one time. As long as you are safe nobody will care about how slow you are.

You can also go to necpl.com and go to the useful links section at the bottom of the page. For beginners I would recommend Harwinton Rod&Gun Club, they usually do a very basic COF, no concealment is required, and it is really geared towards new shooters.

Last winter, I just made a decision to go try a match (in January, no less!). I made sure I had my gun, holster, three magazines, glasses and hearing protection and that's it. When I showed up in Worcester, I told the person taking registration that I've never shot before. They paired me up with an ASO in a squad and he walked me through every stage. It was freezing, there was snow, I couldn't walk and shoot at the same time, so I got a procedural, but other than that (and being really slow and really cold), I had a blast, and I've been back ever since. Both Worcester and Harvard are excellent for taking new shooters through the process. You don't "need" to take the clinic or even the practice before you try it. It may be helpful in giving you a little bit of a jump start, but it's not necessary. You don't even need to be an IDPA member. You will want to join after a couple matches, though. It is addicting! I haven't met a single person who wouldn't help me understand something, or show me what I'm doing wrong. My best piece of advice if you do go is to ask questions. As many as you have. If you come out to a match, look for me (I'll be the guy with the GoPro camera strapped to my head) and say "hi". I'll be happy to show you around and introduce you to some of the guys to watch!

I believe there is a Tier 1 match at Harvard on Saturday - that's a great place for a newbie to start.

Bring a gun, holster, 3-4 mags, mag pouch and 150 rounds of ammo.

If you don't have a or mag pouch, you can order the Bladetech bundle from Amazon (great product for the money) and get it shipped in 2 days. Otherwise if you have a common gun you might be able to borrow extra gear.

I believe there is a Tier 1 match at Harvard on Saturday - that's a great place for a newbie to start.

Be sure to let the safety officer on your squad know that you are new. That way we'll put you last and pair you with an experienced shooter.

Just found a Bladetech bundle for my 226 on Amazon (harder to find than I would have thought).

Unfortunately, this upcoming Saturday is out for me. I'll keep an eye out for upcoming events at Harvard and Worcester.

In the mean time, I shall practice the fundamentals at Littleton with the holster and mag pouches. Thanks everyone for the advice!

You can practice the fundamentals at home - draw and dry fire, draw and dry fire, draw and dry fire. Just be sure to triple check the gun is unloaded, and you're pointing the gun in a safe direction.

Back
Top Bottom