"Just in case it gets denied...."

So I went to the police department yesterday to turn in my pistol permit application. I hand the dispatcher a check with the app, and he says,"You want to hold on to this until you come to pick it up. You know, you don't want to pay in case it gets denied." I played along of course, but isn't this NH? Shall issue? I just thought it was kinda funny.

Really?! Here in MA they take your $100 at the time of application, and won't refund it if you're denied! [frown]

If I wasn't such a die hard Cape Codder I'd have high-tailed it outta here years ago!

So I went to the police department yesterday to turn in my pistol permit application. I hand the dispatcher a check with the app, and he says,"You want to hold on to this until you come to pick it up. You know, you don't want to pay in case it gets denied." I played along of course, but isn't this NH? Shall issue? I just thought it was kinda funny.

Also, depending on the town, don't be alarmed if the cops show up at your house.... sometimes they like to deliver the permits by hand. [laugh]

-Mike

Don't really know, but I'm told that a background check for res. NH permits depends on how ambitious the particular PD is. My son gets his renewed sort of while he waits. Of course, he is in a small town where everybody knows your name. Your results may vary if you are in Manchester. Jack.

Really?! Here in MA they take your $100 at the time of application, and won't refund it if you're denied! [frown]

In MA "the license is free", you are paying $100 as an APPLICATION FEE and so it is not refundable. This is per MGLs, and not really unusual.

No idea wrt NH laws.

Last edited:
Don't really know, but I'm told that a background check for res. NH permits depends on how ambitious the particular PD is. My son gets his renewed sort of while he waits. Of course, he is in a small town where everybody knows your name. Your results may vary if you are in Manchester. Jack.
I thought that was a bar in Boston...

You're kidding me. I have one of the largest PD's in the state and I don't get this kind of service? Off to write to my police chief........

You may want to quote this part of the RSA's:

159:6 License to Carry. –
I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued. The license shall be in duplicate and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee. The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years.
Words mean things. The Legislature could have chosen a lot of different words if they meant "given to" or "mailed to" or "made available for pickup," but they chose "...shall be delivered to..."

You may want to quote this part of the RSA's:

Words mean things. The Legislature could have chosen a lot of different words if they meant "given to" or "mailed to" or "made available for pickup," but they chose "...shall be delivered to..."

Those bastages! Heads are gonna roll......

Back
Top Bottom