Just came in! 1903 Springfield 1920 National Match

Hey Guys,
Just got this gem via FedEx.

It's a 1903 Springfield 1920 National Match.

Everything about it is gorgeous. I love it, thought I'd share.

Never thought one would be affordable. I see crazy prices on them. But like the old saying never trade luck for skill!

Has a few small problems but nothing major. I think the sight hood is a later replacement. It has an R mark on it so I think it's a later Remington hood.
Still had the cleaning kit in the buttstock.

Naturally, I took the sling off the rifle, heard horror stories about leather on metal over a long period of time.
I can't really claim much credit one "spotting" one. Without some help from some good friends I wouldn't be able to tell if it was real or fake. Thankfully I'm very fortunate to have some good friends help me out.

I'd like to throw out for humor purposes. It was pretty obvious I was excited and had no patience, once I got the FedEx tracking notification just before 8AM and it didn't arrive until almost 8PM I was sitting by my front window all day, like a dog waiting for the mailman. Everytime I thought I heard a diesel engine I ran to look out the window.

Last edited:
WOW, I've been patiently waiting, looking for a 03. i will keep waiting, don't wanna impulse buy. been learning more about them, and prices etc. ill keep looking, I'm confident something will present itself when i least expect. again, very nice find!

Wowza. Congrats on the rifle.

It was pretty obvious I was excited and had no patience, once I got the FedEx tracking notification just before 8AM and it didn't arrive until almost 8PM I was sitting by my front window all day, like a dog waiting for the mailman. Everytime I thought I heard a diesel engine I ran to look out the window.

I'm the exact same way even if it's just crap coming. If I was waiting for this rifle to arrive I'd drive myself completely bananas.

Enjoy it!

Hate you.<br><br>Just kidding, that's an awesome find! &nbsp;Nice pics too- congrats! &nbsp;A future range report is in order...

Can you point out the national match details. So we can keep an eye out?
I have been doing a little looking myself.
Not sure if true to all 1903nm
Thought serial number was etched on bolt and stock?
Nice looking rifle the national match are a touch out of my price range right now. The last one I got my actual eyes on even came with the guys grandfather's data book from the 1930s.
He wanted 3500$ then. Last I heard it took the trip south to FL when he retired.

Disclaimer, this came from a Rock Island Auction listing. And I have not verified it. This information isn't covered in Brophy's or Hatcher's. But since it's all I have at the moment. I have seen Rock Island Auctions post rifles listed as national matches with the fake star gauge. So I'm not 100% completely trusting of them. The link to the auction is at the bottom.

"Model 1903 Springfield Model 1903 National Match rifle manufactured in 1919. In Fiscal Year 1920 (July 1,1919-June 30, 1920) Springfield Armory manufactured 3000 Model 1903 rifles for the 1920 National Matches. These rifles had selected, star-gauged, barrels, polished bolts, polished receiver runways and followers and incorporated most of the features found on the NM rifles sold to the public from 1921-1928. The 1920 NM rifles did not have the distinctive star-gauge mark of the barrel muzzle adopted late in 1921 and the barrels were not stamped with the star-gauge numbers found on 1921 production NM rifles. The Springfield 1920 NM rifles are identified by the Armory polishing marks on bolts with "J6" heat lot numbers on the handles, polished receiver rails and followers and the Rock Island Arsenal cut-offs with serifed letters (because Springfield Armory was manufacturing the distinctive Mark I cut-offs when the 1919 and 1920 NM rifles were produced, Springfield requisitioned cut-offs from Rock Island Arsenal to complete the NM rifles; all RIA cut-offs had serifed markings). The rifle has the distinctive Springfield Armory black-green parkerized finish on the receiver, barrel, upper barrel band, trigger guard, floor plate, buttplate and small components. The rear sight base has the black, 'painted' finish found on post WWI Model 1903 rifles in excellent condition. The lower barrel band is blued. The rear sight face is bright. The bolt is polished bright and has the distinctive armory 'feathered' polishing marks above and below the safety lug. The receiver runways and the top of the follower are polished to NM specifications. The stock has a fine checkered buttplate. The rear sight, correctly, lacks the 2750 yard volley notch found on WWI production rifles. The rear sight binding screw and rear sight windage screw have the correct dished faces. The bolt has the post WWI bent handle with "J6" steel lot code stamped on the top. The bolt body is, correctly, not serial numbered (NM bolts were not serial numbered until around 1924). The safety lock thumb-piece has block letter markings. The cut-off has a casehardened finish with serifed markings; the "ON" side of the cut-off is polished. The trigger is serrated with a cross-hatched tip. The rifle receiver is roll-stamped: "U.S./SPRINGFIELD/ARMORY/MODEL 1903." in four lines above the serial number "1181306". The barrel is marked with "SA" above the Ordnance "Shell & Flame" insignia and the date "12-19". The oil-finished, black walnut "S" stock has two-reinforcing bolts, grasping grooves and is fitted with the lower profile, post WWI, handguard. The left side of the stock wrist is stamped with the Ordnance final inspection mark that consists of the initials "D.A.L." surrounded by a rectangle. An encircled, block, "P" proof mark is stamped on the underside of the stock behind the trigger guard. A "C" sub-inspection mark is stamped in the cut-off recess. The stock is correctly not stamped with the rifle serial number (NM rifle stocks were first serial numbered on Model 1903 A1 NM rifles)."

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/54/lid/3699

Disclaimer, this came from a Rock Island Auction listing. And I have not verified it. This information isn't covered in Brophy's or Hatcher's. But since it's all I have at the moment. I have seen Rock Island Auctions post rifles listed as national matches with the fake star gauge. So I'm not 100% completely trusting of them. The link to the auction is at the bottom.

"Model 1903 Springfield Model 1903 National Match rifle manufactured in 1919. In Fiscal Year 1920 (July 1,1919-June 30, 1920) Springfield Armory manufactured 3000 Model 1903 rifles for the 1920 National Matches. These rifles had selected, star-gauged, barrels, polished bolts, polished receiver runways and followers and incorporated most of the features found on the NM rifles sold to the public from 1921-1928. The 1920 NM rifles did not have the distinctive star-gauge mark of the barrel muzzle adopted late in 1921 and the barrels were not stamped with the star-gauge numbers found on 1921 production NM rifles. The Springfield 1920 NM rifles are identified by the Armory polishing marks on bolts with "J6" heat lot numbers on the handles, polished receiver rails and followers and the Rock Island Arsenal cut-offs with serifed letters (because Springfield Armory was manufacturing the distinctive Mark I cut-offs when the 1919 and 1920 NM rifles were produced, Springfield requisitioned cut-offs from Rock Island Arsenal to complete the NM rifles; all RIA cut-offs had serifed markings). The rifle has the distinctive Springfield Armory black-green parkerized finish on the receiver, barrel, upper barrel band, trigger guard, floor plate, buttplate and small components. The rear sight base has the black, 'painted' finish found on post WWI Model 1903 rifles in excellent condition. The lower barrel band is blued. The rear sight face is bright. The bolt is polished bright and has the distinctive armory 'feathered' polishing marks above and below the safety lug. The receiver runways and the top of the follower are polished to NM specifications. The stock has a fine checkered buttplate. The rear sight, correctly, lacks the 2750 yard volley notch found on WWI production rifles. The rear sight binding screw and rear sight windage screw have the correct dished faces. The bolt has the post WWI bent handle with "J6" steel lot code stamped on the top. The bolt body is, correctly, not serial numbered (NM bolts were not serial numbered until around 1924). The safety lock thumb-piece has block letter markings. The cut-off has a casehardened finish with serifed markings; the "ON" side of the cut-off is polished. The trigger is serrated with a cross-hatched tip. The rifle receiver is roll-stamped: "U.S./SPRINGFIELD/ARMORY/MODEL 1903." in four lines above the serial number "1181306". The barrel is marked with "SA" above the Ordnance "Shell & Flame" insignia and the date "12-19". The oil-finished, black walnut "S" stock has two-reinforcing bolts, grasping grooves and is fitted with the lower profile, post WWI, handguard. The left side of the stock wrist is stamped with the Ordnance final inspection mark that consists of the initials "D.A.L." surrounded by a rectangle. An encircled, block, "P" proof mark is stamped on the underside of the stock behind the trigger guard. A "C" sub-inspection mark is stamped in the cut-off recess. The stock is correctly not stamped with the rifle serial number (NM rifle stocks were first serial numbered on Model 1903 A1 NM rifles)."

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/54/lid/3699

Nice.... thank you

Wow, really nice rifle. The last one I saw was in a shop in Indiana (of all places) a few years back. The price was $3000, and I just couldn't convince myself to buy it. I still have a little sadness on passing on it, but I'm sure I bought a mess of other things with that dough over the years.

This should have a serialized C-stock, in addition to the star gauge on the crown and polished and sometimes serial numbered bolt.

I'm not seeing it.... hope I'm wrong!

This should have a serialized C-stock, in addition to the star gauge on the crown and polished and sometimes serial numbered bolt.

I'm not seeing it.... hope I'm wrong!

The features you're describing are on 1921 and further national match rifles. Earlier ones 1920 and prior didn't have electropenciled bolts, D1836 markings I think star gauged barrels were also a later mark. I just learned all of this recetly. Not even covered in Brophys he only addresses 1921 NM and later.

Wow that is a beauty Andrew, congrats on finding it! I'd lose the sight protector, its just a protector not a hood. Really doesn't belong on that gun unless you're protecting that blade. What you need to track down is the PJ O'Hare rear sight cover!

Wow that is a beauty Andrew, congrats on finding it! I'd lose the sight protector, its just a protector not a hood. Really doesn't belong on that gun unless you're protecting that blade. What you need to track down is the PJ O'Hare rear sight cover!

It's a protective hood but does do well as as a globe sight. Correct for a 1903? IDK.

Back
Top Bottom