Just acquired a K98 and P-38

jim/boston

NES Member
I did a favor for an acquaintance and he said 'I think I have something you might like' He told me his dad passed away a couple of years ago and he had a couple of things stashed under the bed; he wanted to know if I would help him "get rid" of them. 2 FA-10 forms later I brought my new babies home. I noticed a woodpile theme lately so I kept it going.

30wtjcp.jpg

mt35nk.jpg

ayksp1.jpg

27xfk2v.jpg

ajtgeo.jpg

2rcsbw5.jpg

OK, experts. Does the sling look correct?
Why does the buttplate have a diff code (everything else matches) maybe a replacement fix?
The story as told by Dad was that a train had been strafed by P51 's and was disabled. They opened a boxcar and found crates of weapons. Took a few souvenirs and destroyed the rest. These came home with him. He told of other souvenirs that DIDN'T make it home (MG's etc)
thanks for any input jim

Last edited:
I'd have to see close ups of the sling to give an opinion if it was original or not.
There should be markings on the underside, probably on the back of keeper. Just be careful with it because I actually ripped an old original sling when I was trying to take it off a rifle for disassembly. Pecard's antique leather dressing will help preserve it if it is an original.

As far as the butt plate, it is stamped 44 and could be one added when they ran out of byf stamped ones. Many late war K98s were assembled with a few different parts here and there as supplies ran low. Some 00 steel wool and oil such as WD40 or Break Free will clean that rust up and help keep it under control. That goes for the small spots on the P38 too.

All in all a great score and I'm jealous! [smile]

Great pictures btw.

I feel like a lucky SOB

I've been grinning all day; my wife thinks I'm up to something! I shot a close up of the only marking I could see on the sling RAO or RAD(it looks 64 years old to me) I also cleaned up the butt plate a bit; there is some permanant staining but I can live with it. I have used 00 and 000 steel wool before with kerosene and it has been a good method to remove some light rust without taking off the blueing. I try to let all my friends and aquaintances know that I am a collector...I have been pretty lucky a few times when I have received a call about a gun...of course I get calls about junk too...and most people think it is valuable. ummm sorry, that jc higgins bolt action shotgun isn't worth much[thinking] On another day I'll show you some of my other lucky acquisitions.

x45ixx.jpg

x2lx7a.jpg

Nice ensemble, and both have been made by Mauser Oberndorf in 1944.
Wish, I could do someone the same favour, lol

The sling sure looks authentic.
As to the buttplate, they carried the vendor's code rather than the code of the rifle manufacturer; various manufacturers supplied small parts to the major assemblers.
This buttplate has been made by Loch & Hartenberger from Idar-Oberstein in Rhine-Palatinate who were one of Mauser's vendors.

Back
Top Bottom