• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

John F. Tierney -support common sense proposals such as banning assault weapons

Secret42

NES Member
Dear Mr. Smith:

Your recent comments about gun safety have been brought to my attention. I appreciate you taking the time to share your personal perspective on this important matter, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

The recent shooting in Connecticut as well as those in Arizona, Wisconsin and Aurora are terrible tragedies and my deepest sympathies continue to be with all victims and their families. The loss of innocent children of such tender years coupled with the loss of adults charged with their safety who so bravely sought to protect the children has struck a particular chord — or perhaps too, it is the accumulation of inconceivable grief - that now motivates so many to insist on action.

Consistently since before my initial election in 1996, I have maintained the position that common sense regulation of firearms, ammunition and the potential users of them should be adopted in this country as it has in so many others. With all due respect to those who communicated in opposition to any action, I do not believe that such reasonable measures need be inconsistent with any person’s constitutional rights.

Further, I believe we must support policies that seek to promote safety and reduce gun violence. One need not advocate confiscating all guns, but steps can and should be taken toward implementing sensible, fair, and balanced gun laws that will do more to protect everyone and particularly our nation’s children. I believe we should agree on commonsense measures that promote safety efforts designed to keep guns out of the hands of unsupervised children, dangerous criminals, and those who are mentally unstable and distinguish between weapons clearly intended for rapid-fire mass destruction and those used by responsible hunters or sports shooters.

In that vein, I am currently a co-sponsor of several measures before the House of Representatives in the 113th Congress that are aimed at addressing gun violence in a comprehensive manner. Some such legislation would strengthen background checks, institute a ban on high capacity ammunition, increase access and ability to conduct research on gun violence, and ban assault weapons.

No one believes that all incidents can be stopped through such legislation, but many rightfully believe many potential incidents can be avoided, and the severity of any that may be attempted can be curtailed. I applaud President Obama’s efforts and urge my colleagues to support common sense proposals such as banning assault weapons, expanding background checks and cracking down on gun trafficking. Along with the mothers and fathers in my community and nationwide, I continue to stand firm in my commitment to make our neighborhoods and our schools safer from violence.

I look forward to seeing you in the district soon. Be well.

Sincerely,

John F. Tierney
Member of Congress

P.S. To connect with me on Facebook visit : www.facebook.com/CongressmanJohnTierney. You can also visit my website at Congressman John Tierney to learn more about my legislative initiatives and to subscribe to my periodic E-Alert updates.

Please do not reply directly to this email address -- this is an unattended mailbox.

He's a MAGGOT. He belongs on prison with his wife criminal brother in law. All 3 are criminals, well qualified to be Ma. democRAT hacks!

Same old BS response from all of these political hacks...

He's a MAGGOT. He belongs on prison with his wife criminal brother in law. All 3 are criminals, well qualified to be Ma. democRAT hacks!

That guy has been a ****stick for years.

Geeze, a guy from central Mass and two guys from New Hampshire criticizing MY congressman. Gentlemen, please do not call the honorable representative from the sixth congressional district of Massachusetts a hack, a maggot, or a ****stick. This is is a disservice and is quite insulting to hacks, maggots, and ****sticks all around the world.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom