John Birch Society

Does anyone here know about the JBS? Members? Opinions? One of their causes is the 2nd Amendment, and their web site seems to get the importance of it (i.e., self defense and a last resort against tyranny). So, I did a search of the forums, and oddly I didn't find one reference to "JBS" or "John Birch" so I'm wondering if I searched wrong? I'm especially curious because their president John McManus lives in Wakefield, and wondered if GOAL had any affiliation or alliance.

I've been to a couple of their meetings and have a few of their educational videos. They have some excellent videos that explain things very clearly (although not so clearly that your typical Obama supporter would understand -- that's impossible). They seem like a good group to me. I had no desire to join though... lots of other stuff to keep me busy, and I already know all the ways that gov't is screwing me, so I gotta move on and continue prepping for things that will be coming.

For some reason almost everyone at the meetings dressed up in suits, and most were old. I was the youngest person there, and I dressed casual. That's OK and all, but I found it curious.

I've been to a couple of their meetings and have a few of their educational videos. They have some excellent videos that explain things very clearly (although not so clearly that your typical Obama supporter would understand -- that's impossible). They seem like a good group to me. I had no desire to join though... lots of other stuff to keep me busy, and I already know all the ways that gov't is screwing me, so I gotta move on and continue prepping for things that will be coming.

For some reason almost everyone at the meetings dressed up in suits, and most were old. I was the youngest person there, and I dressed casual. That's OK and all, but I found it curious.

I would guess that most of the members would be older. The John Birch Society was at it's most influential in the 60's and 70's, so many of the continuing members would be older. This would also explain why many of them were wearing suits. In the 50's and 60's men would routinely "dress up" for meetings, church, school open houses, etc. Something you young whippersnappers wouldn't know about! [laugh]

I can remember billboards and bumper stickers saying "Get US out of the UN" when I was growing up in New Bedford in the 1960's. I recall that they did very strongly support the 2nd amendment. They were associated with the Minutemen at one point, a militia organization. I believe an old television show (might have been "Dragnet") had an episode where the forces of law and order crushed a militia group called "Fielder's Militia." It was an obvious shot at the Minutemen.

They were given the "right wing" label in the 60's, primarily because they were accused of being racist due to their opposition to the Federal government's equal rights and affirmative action efforts. As many parts of the country have continued to move to the political left the JBS has appeared to these people as even more extremely right wing. One of my older more liberal friends once said that I would be too conservative to "even join the John Birch Society." [laugh] When I mention the JBS to young people today I get a lot of blank looks. Most older folks have heard of it but don't really know what it was/is.

I wouldn't be surprised if some NES members belonged to the JBS. Based on some of the comments by posters here I would think that some of the views of the JBS would coincide with their political beliefs. BTW, the JBS does not support any particular political party. I would guess that any candidates they do support would be Republican or Libertarian.

Thanks for bringing this up. I haven't thought about the JBS in quite a while.

Don't drink the fluoridated water......

For those who might not get the reference....

One of the things that the JBS was opposed to was the addition of fluoride to public water supplies. IIRC, it wasn't so much that they didn't like fluoride, they didn't want the government putting ANYTHING in drinking water. Their position was that if you wanted to give your kids fluoride go right ahead, but there was no need to give it everyone.

One of the things that the JBS was opposed to was the addition of fluoride to public water supplies. IIRC, it wasn't so much that they didn't like fluoride, they didn't want the government putting ANYTHING in drinking water. Their position was that if you wanted to give your kids fluoride go right ahead, but there was no need to give it everyone.

Which was, and remains, a reasoned, and reasonable, position. Yeah, I remember JBS from the 70s. Haven't thought about them for years ... I think a boss JBSer went down on KAL007, IIRC.

I ran across the John Birch Society a couple of years ago while following internet links and spent a good deal of time reading their stuff. Check out the their website and read thru their stuff. For somebody coming from a mainstream leftist world view on things they are definitely going to sound like some sort of fringe radical group. If you are well educated on the beliefs of Americans from earlier ages - what JBS talks about won't seem so radical.

I know I had a couple of older relatives who were in JBS - don't know how active they were - I haven't seen them in years.

I ran across the John Birch Society a couple of years ago while following internet links and spent a good deal of time reading their stuff. Check out the their website and read thru their stuff. For somebody coming from a mainstream leftist world view on things they are definitely going to sound like some sort of fringe radical group. If you are well educated on the beliefs of Americans from earlier ages - what JBS talks about won't seem so radical.

I know I had a couple of older relatives who were in JBS - don't know how active they were - I haven't seen them in years.
I don't think they are radical, but I wanted to know if other people see them that way. Thanks to all for your feedback.

[grin]

ripper_anim.gif

"Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face".

Do they still not believe in evolution?

I read about them years ago and considered joining as their values seemed to line up with my own. However, when I found out they did not believe in evolution, I switched off.

I'm all for Judeo-Christian values. It's a good set of rules to live by, even though I'm not religious. However, to ignore 100s of years of research and true solid scientific evidence in favor of an arcane interpretation of the Bible indicated (to me at least) that they'd rather bury their heads in the sand than face the truth.

Do they still not believe in evolution?

I read about them years ago and considered joining as their values seemed to line up with my own. However, when I found out they did not believe in evolution, I switched off.

I'm all for Judeo-Christian values. It's a good set of rules to live by, even though I'm not religious. However, to ignore 100s of years of research and true solid scientific evidence in favor of an arcane interpretation of the Bible indicated (to me at least) that they'd rather bury their heads in the sand than face the truth.

If you find a political organization where you fit in 100%, let me know. Or for that matter, a church. I have had difficulty my whole life with "fitting in", whether in politics or faith.

Sometimes, 80 or 90% just has to do.

I didn't know that JBS advocated for Young Earth Creationism. That's one part of their message I guess I missed out on ... but then I didn't really study JBS closely.

I was only accused of being JBS, when I was 14, during the summer of 1974, because I was politically conservative ... even then ... during a summer program at ... Bridgewater State College. Any other PCC-ASP alumni here? What a summer it was ... the headlines read "NIXON RESIGNS".

I grew up in the South and remember the Get the US out of the UN billboards vividly.
I'm as right wing as they come, but for some reason I have always harbored a suspicion of the JBS as being some kind of a nut group. I'll admit I haven't looked at their literature and it kind of sort of totally follows everything I believe as an adult. I expect I must be a nut.

But in answering your question, they really have been positioned well as a dangerous fringe group over the years

I don't know much about them, but I didn't know they advocate Young Earth Creationism. (I'm all for God designing and creating everything, but he did it over 14.7 billion years just like the evidence points to.) Well, the two meetings I went to I heard nothing about creationism at all, so I wouldn't let that stop me from joining if I wanted to. Agreeing 80-90% with a group is usually good enough for most purposes.

Oh, another anecdote... although the meeting was just a few dozen older guys and gals at a hotel conference room, there were several police cars there, and I'm pretty sure they were walking around checking out cars. That seemed nutty and excessive to me.

If you find a political organization where you fit in 100%, let me know.

Sometimes, 80 or 90% just has to do.

Duh.

Hell, 60% would be enough if it was the right 60%.

My point was that I will have serious doubts about a group that has a basic tenet that flies in the face of proven fact (we're not talking a difference of opinion here), no matter how much my and their beliefs coincide. Especially when faith and science can be simultaneously accommodated with a slightly different Biblical interpretation.

Back
Top Bottom