Jogger finds M4 rifle in the road

I think keeping it would be wrong, but it sure would be fun to mail it in - one piece at a time over the course of a year...[smile]

It happens....sort of.

I know a Detective who left a set of handcuffs at a house we did a drug raid on. He had his name on the cuffs.

He was getting pictures every week for about a year with his handcuffs posed somewhere different. They were eventually mailed back to him.[laugh]

Versus, say, what the CLEO of my town would do to me if I left my M4gery lying around on the street somewhere.

Well then that is a problem with YOUR CLEO then.

My Chief has never penalized anyone for a honest mistake, and yes, we have had licensed gun owners do similar things.

And when I say what I think will happen to the LEO in this incident I am basing that off of what my expereince has been with the chiefs I have dealt with.

Who knows what kind of chief they have in that agency. But considering it is in Utah I suspect my assessment will be fairly accurate.

It happens....sort of.

I know a Detective who left a set of handcuffs at a house we did a drug raid on. He had his name on the cuffs.

He was getting pictures every week for about a year with his handcuffs posed somewhere different. They were eventually mailed back to him.[laugh]

First, I have a feeling it was another LEO who mailed the pictures in. At least it sounds like something work buddies would do. Hell, I'd do it. Why? It's hysterically funny. That's why. It's the LEO version of the Garden gnome.

Next, Where is it you work Half Cocked? The reason I ask is that it sounds like a really nice place to live. Evidently the local Po Po is upstanding, the chief both green and reasonable...Actually, I'm not sure if I'm really joking about this. We disagree almost daily but I have come to respect your honestly so I'm inclined to believe you. Actually, the po po in my town are very reasonable people (which I've stated before) so it's not the sole reason to move but...sounds like you live in a reasonable part of the state.

one time, at band camp (Kosovo), we spent an entire night looking for an M4 after one of the forward observers placed his rifle on the roof (yeah, the roof like mickey d's soda) of his up-Armor got in and drove away. we made it all the way back to camp & he didn't even realize it until we hit the clearing barrel. [angry]

a infantry guy dropped his M16A4 with ACOG into a river while walking on a narrow foot bridge in northen kosovo in 2007. the weapon was found hours later a few hundred feet down stream washed up on the side. im sure that was awkward, especially for infantrymen

M4

It's not limited to just cops. When I was deployed to Iraq there would be notices sent out at least once a month to the effect of "someone left an M16A4 in DFAC 3 chow hall, SN#********. Report with your first sergeant to base PMO to claim the weapon." Seriously, at the MINIMUM, once a month someone on base would leave a weapon at a bus stop, on a bus, in the chow hall, in the MWR, in the gym, etc. The reason, as far as I can figure, is because the gun isn't even viewed as a tool anymore. It's like your cellphone, just something that you always have on you. You become completely complacent and can easily forget about it if you set it down somewhere.
Yup, when I was in Bosnia the REMF`s were always leaving their weapons in the chow hall.
When was this knucklehead cop going to realize he didn`t bring his weapon back from the raid. Where the hell is the Armorer? Don`t they check the returned weapons?

It amazes me how many stories I have been reading about lately where government workers (FBI, ATF, local police, etc...) have been losing guns. I think we have found our illegal gun problem. Maybe they all need their guns attached to themselves by zip cords so they don't lose them.

This is why only people in the military and law enforcement should have weapons like this. Oh wait.

Not my point. If this was a priviate citizen who did this, they'd be screaming about how private arms can fall into the wrong hands. Let's see if they will (and perhaps prod them to?) make the same argument about arms in the hands of the government.

Exactly! We would be brought up on charges, LTC stripped and guns seized faster than s*it through a goose.

And I bet, that had a fun switch... [thinking]

I found some 9mm rounds on my front lawn first spring after we bought our house. I noticed them in the grass just after I passed over them with the lawn-mower. Turned out they had been dropped by the local pd along with a beeper I discovered later. When I took them to turn in to the cop shop, the dispatcher treats me like I'm some kind of ass-hole.

That's why they called me, I am a professional!

glock_forty.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY

Let's how many stories the readers can conjure up with this statement...

SALT LAKE CITY (AP)

Governor Jon M. Huntsman today signed into law the country's first police disarmament bill.

The law, which requires all police departments to surrender all firearms except for their service pistols to the Utah National Guard, will take effect next month.

There are lot's of instances where officers leave items behind at search warrants/crime scenes. It is very rarely a firearm. When it does happened it is generally a long gun but it is very rare.

The PD's on the South Shore had a run of horrible luck with this a few years back. Two lost handguns in as many months.

Lost Gun #1 - Left it in the Dunkin Donuts

Lost Gun #2

Another police officer loses gun; Quincy policeman drives away with weapon on the roof of his car

By CHRISTOPHER WALKER
The Patriot Ledger

QUINCY - A Quincy police officer lost his department-issued gun apparently after driving away without realizing he had placed the weapon on the roof of his car, officials said.

The officer, Declan Breslin, was reprimanded and placed on desk duty for several days as punishment for losing his weapon, which was picked up by other Quincy police officers who were investigating a car crash last month in the same area the gun was dropped, Police Chief Robert Crowley said.

The incident marks the second time in a month that a local public safety official has lost his handgun, but with drastically different results. Last week, a part-time Plymouth County sheriff’s deputy was fired for a similar mishap after leaving his gun in the restroom of a Pembroke Dunkin’ Donuts.

The deputy, Robert Greek, returned to the doughnut shop less than 45 minutes later, but the weapon was gone. When the gun was recovered, Scituate police revoked Greek’s license to carry a firearm, which prompted the sheriff’s department to fire him.

Not keeping a gun secure is a state crime and is grounds for local police to revoke a gun license.

After speaking to Breslin’s supervisors, Crowley decided to issue him a formal reprimand and place him on restricted duty for a short time.

‘‘We took into account his performance on the job, which has been superb,’’ Crowley said.

Crowley has been sharply criticized by gun owners for a tough policy on issuing gun permits to residents, and one advocate suggested that the punishment given to the Quincy officer shows a ‘‘great double-standard.’’ James Wallace, the executive director of the Gun Owners’ Action League, said the punishment given to Breslin isn’t the problem, saying he’d hate to see a police officer’s career harmed for what was clearly an accident.

‘‘But I’m certain in my heart that if this was one our members, not only would they have lost their license, but they would have been brought up on criminal charges by the chief,’’ Wallace said.

The gun was found less than 30 minutes after it fell from Breslin’s car near the intersection of Franklin and Water streets in Quincy Center, Crowley said.

At first, investigators thought a drunken-driving suspect who fled the scene of the crash may have thrown the gun out the window of the van he was driving. The handgun was found by the alleged victim of the crash, who saw the weapon in the street and kicked it to the side of the curb.

A check of the gun’s serial number showed that it was not reported lost and stolen, and it was quickly traced to Breslin, who was appointed a police officer in 2003. Crowley said Breslin was in the area caring for an ill family member while off-duty and packing his belongings into his car when he left the gun on his car’s roof.

Christopher Walker may be reached at [email protected].

Copyright 2005 The Patriot Ledger
Transmitted Saturday, November 19, 2005

Two quick points here.
1- In the USN, 30 years ago, when I carried my 1911A1 it was always attached to my person via a lanyard looped around my chest. I always thought it was stupid, I mean who could lose a gun?
2- Around 20 years ago when dropping off a cruiser at the radio shop I worked in, a certain police sergeant for a department in a large southeast Mass city left the vehicle's shotgun leaned against the back of the building while took his personal gear out to transfer to his replacement car. It was late afternoon right before closing time for us. He left the chrome barreled gun against the building and went on his way. Our shop was next to a residential neighborhood on a busy main road. I found it the next morning when I opened up the shop. I called the sergeant personally that morning and told him he left a valuable in the cruiser and to please return to get it. Needless to say he was horrified to be handed the gun. No one else was told and to this day it remains a secret between us. We remain friends.

Back
Top Bottom